Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Wide Splitboards. Above 26.2 Waist
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:26 pm 

philip.ak wrote:
Nope, never held a NS Summit. And I only have a few days on my SL so I don't have any real opinion on that yet either. But hopefully by later this spring...

A NS Prospector may be a board that would interest me in a year or so. :) The specs on that sound divine.

Were did you find them?

Karakouram Split30s
2010 mutes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:34 pm 

In the 13/14 new gear thread someone linked to the 2014 NS catalog on issuu.com. Now that link is busted, presumably because the catalog was not yet authorized for release?

Basically it was an SL with about 1-2 cm of taper and with a rocker profile that put a bit of a flat section at the center of the board for touring traction.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:53 pm 

:ninja:
totally on the down low here...
think more like a raptor summit cross
sia is this weekend, it should be wide open after that
:ninja:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:17 pm 

This is interesting:
http://jonessnowboards.com/?p=6126&opti ... &Itemid=57

I'm move of the thought that it's more important to shave pounds off the rider first than it is off the gear. :guinness:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:37 pm 

Breakwater wrote:
This is interesting:

I'm move of the thought that it's more important to shave pounds off the rider first than it is off the gear. :guinness:

Hahahaa, I agree to an extent, but what if the rider is already fit and trim? Also, less weight on the board is always welcome, as it saves more energy, being that the weight is at the end of a long lever, and every ounce more takes additional muscle recruitment to control. But, I have to admit that every lightweight board I have ever ridden which used a lightweight core to save the weight had a terrible ride quality. Even DPS skis, who are all about saving weight, do not do it by using lightweight cores. A well engineered ful carbon lay up would be a better way to save weight if done right.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:46 pm 

That Jones is funny:
Quote:
Unlike traditional splits designed around a solid board platform, then sliced down the middle, the Ultracraft is one of the first splitboards designed as individual split skis before being transformed into a solid board.

Despite that the graphics STILL don't line up. :roll:

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:07 pm 

I remember reading that every ounce you shave off your hiking boot was like taking many ounces out of your pack. That being said the down is why you hike up so if the ride isnt there...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:22 am 

barrows wrote:
Breakwater wrote:
This is interesting:

Hahahaa, I agree to an extent, but what if the rider is already fit and trim? Also, less weight on the board is always welcome, as it saves more energy, being that the weight is at the end of a long lever, and every ounce more takes additional muscle recruitment to control. But, I have to admit that every lightweight board I have ever ridden which used a lightweight core to save the weight had a terrible ride quality. Even DPS skis, who are all about saving weight, do not do it by using lightweight cores. A well engineered ful carbon lay up would be a better way to save weight if done right.

Good points. Only time will tell on the ride quality. I think that it's cool to see a lightweight option coming out. I bought a Hovercraft for just that reason. I can ride a 160 instead of my 168 with the same amount of float, but lighter weight. For longer approaches to distant lines, saving as much energy for the ride down is important. Sure, the rider should lose weight too, but you can only lose so much. Even the fittest mtb racer shaves weight off his bike and gear.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:45 pm 

wjb wrote:
I remember reading that every ounce you shave off your hiking boot was like taking many ounces out of your pack. That being said the down is why you hike up so if the ride isnt there...

I thought it went something like "a pound off your feet equates to roughly 6 pounds out of your pack"...

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:28 pm 

96avs01 wrote:
I thought it went something like "a pound off your feet equates to roughly 6 pounds out of your pack"...

http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/outdoor-activities/hiking/one-pound-off-feet-five-pounds-off-back.htm

"Several other studies reached similar conclusions. The consensus was that carrying an amount of weight on the feet required between 4.7 and 6.4 times as much energy as carrying that same weight on one's back [source: Johanssen]."

"The bottom line: all things considered, the old "1-pound-for-5" rule would appear to be true, even if you quibble over the exact numbers: a lighter pair of shoes means you'll be able to go farther, more comfortably, than you would in a pair of heavily armored clodhoppers."

Pretty stoked the Ultracraft is coming out. Expensive but good to see split industry catching up to the rando world.

As to whether or not the Ultracraft will allow more advanced riders "rail trenches" the jury is out :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:00 am 

I really doubt it, but it's worth a shot.

Does anyone in New-Englad demo Splits? Specifically the Never-Summer SL Split in a 163x (26.8 Waist)
If I could demo the board, and even run laps on a lift with it, I could put some mileage on the R/C combo and Vario whatever, and see if their setup can win me over.

It's a way long-shot but who knows.

As Wasach Surf Has said, Railing-out is kinda more for groomers. Railing-out likes a smooth radius and shallow sidecut. I'm not really willing to compromise inbounds.

Maybe a very deep sidecut and mange-traction would actually be good on the right board in the backcountry, as you aren't on corduroy.
It's a far more grippy edge than a smooth radius board, but I'd have to really, really look at it, and hopefully give it a demo before I spent my hard earned money on it.

As it is I have four other options without the R/C mix and Magne- So If I can't ride the N.S. Board, or spend quality time fondling it in a shop, then it's too risky to purchase. Not a big deal, It's not my only option. one of the other four are suitable, it's just which one I like best, and of course the best bang for the buck.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:10 am 

You guys are so concerned with waist width, mange traction, board shapes that you have have missed out on half a winter 8)

After 18 seasons of snowboarding, 10 years of 100+day seasons, and 5 years splitboarding the best thing you can do is just buy a board and go ride. Would I prefer a waist of 260mm? Yes. The Gnu billy goat I am riding this season has a 253mm waist and is just fine with L spark Fuses and size 10 driver X boots.

Oh, and I love Magne traction, especially on icy groomers at the resort. Having it on the split is kind of a plus when taking icy traverses out of the BC. Board shapes are important, but hard to notice in deep powder, for me anyways. Yes, I ride out West and grew up surrounded my huge Mtns.

Why am I not riding today? Been hitting powder for 10 days straight and I have come down with a nasty cold in the process. Getting better for a big day on Tuesday.

Carry on

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:00 pm 

workman wrote:
You guys are so concerned with waist width, mange traction, board shapes that you have have missed out on half a winter 8)

After 18 seasons of snowboarding, 10 years of 100+day seasons, and 5 years splitboarding the best thing you can do is just buy a board and go ride. Would I prefer a waist of 260mm? Yes. The Gnu billy goat I am riding this season has a 253mm waist and is just fine with L spark Fuses and size 10 driver X boots.

Oh, and I love Magne traction, especially on icy groomers at the resort. Having it on the split is kind of a plus when taking icy traverses out of the BC. Board shapes are important, but hard to notice in deep powder, for me anyways. Yes, I ride out West and grew up surrounded my huge Mtns.

Why am I not riding today? Been hitting powder for 10 days straight and I have come down with a nasty cold in the process. Getting better for a big day on Tuesday.

Carry on

Hahhaha
Naw man. I've got about 12 full days in riding resorts this season (only tards count). Why not more? remaining employed seems a little more important.

I've got zero days in backcountry this year. Why not more? If you haven't noticed theres an EPIC lack of snow, with a surplus of rain.

I think I'll wait until I get my gear dialed before I blow money on it, and go shred the epic well-polished backcountry ROCKS.

Congratulations on your last 10 years of 100+ day seasons. You should have a pro model.
Thanks for polishing those rocks for me though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next