Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: g3 high traction/spark skin fit issue
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:31 am 

so i have the spark skins (coming from volies) and im having a bit of issue when i put the skins on they tend to not line up straight, and i kind of have to keep reapplying them, and i get a bit of "bubble" towards the nose because the skin isnt tight because the damn clips are messing things up... i tried applying them and focused on the skin and letting the nose clips set where ever they did, this worked better but i actually had to pay attention to applying my skins..

anyone else kind of have the same issue?

Post subject: Re: g3 high traction/spark skin fit issue
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:34 pm 

petersami wrote:
i tried applying them and focused on the skin and letting the nose clips set where ever they did, this worked better but i actually had to pay attention to applying my skins..

This will probably come off as me being a dick, but it's generally a good idea to pay attention when applying skins.

I have the Sparks and love the fact that they have decent tail clips, have glue that I can separate without grunting and feeling like I'm doing pullups, have very consistent and predictable grip (less snow buildup on base), etc. And they weigh 15% less than my BDs.

It may be a problem with the way you trimmed your skins. I applied the skins to each half and spent 10 minutes whittling away to make them fit my primary board right.

Being that the front tips have adjustable, swivel clips I find it hard to believe there isn't a way to consistently find a good fit for them. At the OR I saw a pair of their split skins with the same swivel clips on the tail, which should make it an even better product.

cheers

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:04 pm 

dont get me wrong i like them, but even before i cut them i pulled them onto each ski and they were not running parallel to the board. it was like that from the start, and when i say i have to focus..... i mean like micro-manage how they are going on.... other than that i love them. but its almost like tip swivel clips were put on at the wrong angle...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:41 pm 

Strange....

We rent Jones boards with Spark/G3 skins, and use them for our guided trips. I've been using the Spark skins on 6 or 7 different boards this year. I have found that the swivel tips do act a little different then the tip loops on Voile skins, but not very different. Once I get the first 6 inches or so lined up, I've found the skins go on like a champ. Occasionally I have to peel up the first 6 inches and reapply the skins, but not any more often than I have with Voile skins.

When you say " I pulled them onto each ski and they were not running parallel to the board" are you talking about the edges of the skin not being parallel to the board edge? Even if the clips were assembled incorrectly, I'd think the swivel would allow the skin to line up to the board edges.

Can you make a video of you putting the skins on? Maybe someone here can see something wrong with the skins, or offer some tips on how to install them so you don't have that issue, based on what you're doing now.

Richard

Outdoor Adventure Club
http://www.OutdoorAdventureClub.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:44 am 

ya ill make a video.... maybe im just not as used to swivels as maybe other guys are.

maybe its just me, but in my head i think i should just pull the swivels on and it should line up just fine.

could be too that i only trimmed one side and maybe thats off setting things a bit. i wanted to have as much skin as i could... .. i trimmed the outer side (not the straight inside edge) this could be whats causing some of the issue.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:36 am 

I modified a set of G3 Alpinist skins for my spit use and I cut the tips off and sewed them back on at an angle. The skin 'drapes' nicely down the ski with no effort needed on my part towards getting it parallel to the straight inside edge. I think G3 should have done this with all their split skins.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:13 am 

Nice work Phillip. I have the same issues with the bubble at the top, but as somebody mentioned paying attention to the first 6 inches should line 'em up pretty good. I don't think I could bring myself to chop my skins like that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:05 pm 

yes thats exactly my issue.... these are my first g3/sparks and i do love them, i guess im just not used to them. maybe i was complaining more about them then i should. i practiced with them a few more times and the issues seem to be not as bad.

i dont think i could chop mine either, big props on that one.

i guess i had more of an impression that they would self align a little better than what they do.