Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Spark Binders at the OR Show
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:02 pm 

ShredLife wrote:
OP did say Downing at the Burton booth had em - i wonder if these are Burton Bindings made by Spark.. it would make sense. especially if the Edison was still coming from Spark.

gotta say, these Magnetos look light, fast to transition, and simple. nice and simple. :thumpsup:

Not sure what the connection between Sparks/ Burton is other than that the straps are Burton. Burton flagship here in Burlington now carries sparks. However they should get a better split customer rep, pretty sure the kids working translated their sales pitches straight from the website split descriptions! :doobie:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:07 pm 

I don't think I really get the system without seeing it in a video. How do you get the risers down with poles? How does the non-pin work keeping it together?

Will be cool when we get actual press release about them.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:36 pm 

splitting in bozeman, i've seen them in action. Climbing bars can be opened and closed with poles. The plastic tab under the toe lever (first picture) acts as the pin in ride mode, locking the binding on to the pucks. The short pins slide onto the new lt bracket from the side and the plastic tab keeps it from sliding back. transitions are quicker, and no need to take off the mits. Someone at sia will have to make a video, its pretty slick.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:44 pm 

Hopefully burton doesn't absorb spark and then make it their own like Forum. Scary thought burton and spark doing anything together.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:47 pm 

Splitinbend wrote:
Hopefully burton doesn't absorb spark and then make it their own like Forum. Scary thought burton and spark doing anything together.

i wasn't going to say anything but i'd be lying if i said i wasn't thinking the same thing.

the straps and buckles are nice, but personally that's as far as i'd like to see it go.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:37 pm 

The pucks are co-branded Voile-Burton and you can adjust them with the bindings ON the board...sliding and turning until you have the right setup, then screwing down. Works really well and seamless, great demo from Dave. I was told that the channel is only on the one model (Land Lord) for next Fall, DD said there's plans for the other split models to transition the following year. Really nice evolution all in all. No plans to sell these pucs separate he said, and not compatible w K2. That's all I know...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:33 am 

equilibrium wrote:
The pucks are co-branded Voile-Burton and you can adjust them with the bindings ON the board...sliding and turning until you have the right setup, then screwing down.

Now that is interesting! (cue bcrider reminding us he thought of it first... :)) Tweaking your stance setup with the normal Voile puck system is such a pain.

But speaking of the normal Voile puck setup, I wonder if this binding will be compatible with those, since apparently these channel-pucks are different? If you upgrade to this binding, can you use it on your existing split? Presumably you'd at least need to replace the touring bracket and the heel lifters.

Quote:
Scary thought burton and spark doing anything together.

You mean like they did a couple years back to produce the new straps for Spark bindings? The ones that are waaaaay better than the previous Spark straps? :scratch: People sure seem to love to hate Burton.

Speaking of which, it's interesting how many features these new bindings have (and Karakoram and Edison) that were present in some form or another in the original ill-fated Burton interface system. Heel lift was integrated into the baseplate, and it worked great with their crampons. No pins. Camming action to lock both board halves together. Pretty easy stance angle adjustment without changing stance width. It was a little too early for its time though (meaning tons of issues in the field)...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:20 am 

Yes, pretty sure these bindings use the 'normal' pucks too... The diff w the Burton-Voile ones seems to be the hole pattern of the EST. Meaning all 4 pucks are the same and you can access the screws through the baseplate to adjust...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:03 am 

I would like this binding to work with the Burton Channel system and no pucks. That would be the ticket. No pins, and built in climbing bars. Thats perfect

And as far as the Burton Haters, Im with JimW. It would be interesting to see where this sport would be right now with out Burton. And what I mean is all of the development that has gone into the basic snowboard deck.......sidecut, ptex, cap construction ect.

Rider input, which requires a big team, R and D ......setting up mass production ect.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:27 am 

i'm pretty sure no one is really knocking burton for their innovations. what people do not like is Burton buying out influential companies and after they fuck up the market for everyone in the industry - shutting said company down.

how would you feel if that happened to Spark? because if Will was willing to sell the company this is absolutely a plausible situation. Burton would be first in line to buy it and as we have seen by evidence from the past they've cut out splitboarding before.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:32 pm 

Why would one company buy another company, and then shut it down? Primarily to reduce competition and maintain market share. But there is no competition between Burton and Spark. I really don't see anything other than a healthy synergy going on there. Burton never cut out splitboarding, they just dropped their own interface system, probably because it had lots of problems in the field and was just not cost effective to maintain. But since then they've had at least one Voile interface-compatible split every year, and this years models have some real innovations.

Anyway, didn't mean to derail this discussion with the Burton tangent. That's good to know these binders will work with standard pucks too. Cool to see all the new innovations coming!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:49 pm 

Just a thought regarding the change from the Edison system we got a glimpse of last year to this design which appears to stick with the standard set by Voile. Economics. Developing a whole new interface simply eliminates a huge chunk of a very tiny market which has already invested a significant amount of time & cash into the 20+ year standard. This design appears to be backwards compatible with much of the existing hardware (LT brackets, Voile pucks & chinese hooks), and as we're all not rich, no need to drop $600-800+ on a whole new interface (which of course, those of you with deep pockets can still do), or waiting for production to ramp up to get extras to outfit a quiver of boards. With the current Voile system its pretty easy and cost effective to upgrade in bits & pieces from a simple DIY board and plates to a high end custom splitboard and Sparks. And that's been Sparks bread & butter since Will started (what like 6-7 years ago?). Can we expect Spark (and perhaps with Voile & Burton, etc...) to eventually develop an all new interface in the coming years? I'd say without a doubt, yes. But it's going to be just that. Development. Evolution. A trickle down of technology as it is perfected and able to be marketed cost effectively and competitively. And that's exactly what this binding appears to be. A stepping stone.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:06 pm 

jimw wrote:
(cue bcrider reminding us he thought of it first... :))

Getting credit where credit is due is just part of human nature....but since that will never happen from Burton or K2 I guess I'll just be satisfied that Jimw knows the truth!! :)

It's not impossible to think K2 might have thought of using the channel system on their own. I mean, it's a natural design concept for anyone passionate about splitting and interested in evolving the product. Whether they knew I mentioned it or many years ago or not. I never submitted the idea to K2 like I did Burton.

I dug through some old emails to JG at Burton from '08 and found sound interesting discussion. :)

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, September 29, 2008 3:31 PM
To: John Gerndt (JG)

Hi JG,

snip....

Also wondering if I could speak with someone about implementing the Infinite Channel
System into splits?

In terms of cost and production, how does it compare to standard inserts?

...snip

Thanks for any help!

Chris Gallardo
http://www.splitboard.com

------------------------------------------

Chris,

snip...

Channel cost a lot more to produce.

...snip

jg

-----------------------------------------

Thanks for the info on ICS JG.

With it becoming so prevalent in the rest of the line I don't think it would be too out of the question to consider it for the splits. Is there someone I could suggest this to?

Thanks.

Chris

Chris

Why would you want or need it on the splits? Stance adjustment?

EST bindings will not work.

jg

Hi JG,

Yeah, no EST.

The Voile pucks would utilize the ICS and make set-up and adjusting your stance a breeze. You'd only have to loosen the screws and slide...not loosen and lift to the next set of inserts.

snip...

Chris

--------------------------------------------

So there...I gave the idea to Burton over 4 years ago lol. I'll keep an eye out for a royalty check or an email saying thanks. :)

jimw wrote:

But speaking of the normal Voile puck setup, I wonder if this binding will be compatible with those, since apparently these channel-pucks are different? If you upgrade to this binding, can you use it on your existing split? Presumably you'd at least need to replace the touring bracket and the heel lifters.

Can't speak firsthand until next week but its my understanding these are normal pucks making both the bindings and new Landlord split ( and K2 split using the channel) backwards compatible.

The co-branded pucks just refer to logos I think. Sorta like the way Voile is etching other companies logos on the Chinese hooks.

From what I can tell, the new Magento binding will need new LT touring brackets and climbing bar stopper as another posted already noted

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next