Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Wide Splitboards. Above 26.2 Waist
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:26 am 

"Anyways, goddamn man. If Magne-traction and F-ed up rocker/camber profiles were just so damn important to slide on snow, why is the ski marketplace not flooded with this crap?"

OK, I agree on "magnetraction", but you will find skis with all kinds of rocker/camber profiles available. There are skis with camber underfoot and early rise tips, there are skis with camber underfoot and early rise tips and tails, there are skis with full rocker, there are skis with 0 camber and early rise tips, there are skis with 0 camber and early rise tips and tails, etc... The difference of skis vs snowboards in regards to rocker/camber profiles is that skis are a little simpler: all the weight is distributed by a single foot placed at the center of the ski. Because snowboards are weighted by two feet, spaced at some distance over the surface of the board, some companies have attempted to distribute that force more evenly through innovative rocker/camber profiling-perhaps you might contemplate this a bit... Also, some of the rocker/camber profiles on snowboards are so subtle as to not be an issue: that is, in a blind ride test one could not discern the difference. Now I would not say this of Never Summer, whose profile (quite radical) looks to me like it would make the most sense for freestyle riders on groomed slopes...

BTW, although the 159 Trout Trap has only a 26 cm waist, with its rather short 9m radius sidecut it will be wider at the feet than a board with the same waist width and a 9.5 or 10 m radius sidecut. I think if you actually measured the width at the rear foot (which will be where it matters on a tapered board) you would find the width to be very close, within 1 mm, to that of the Hovercraft. Also note, about two degrees difference in rear foot angle can easily compensate for a couple of mm of difference in board width. There are options as to how to deal with overhang issues. Stance a little (just 1/2") wider will also get the foot over a wider section of the board. All stuff to think about...

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:38 am 

What year is the solid Hovercraft? Has anyone else measured a Jones splitboard? Obviously the ones produced in Tunisia were f'ed up so hopefully now Austrian production will address some of the issues. Someone out there must have a new split Solution or Hovercraft and own a good metric ruler (and maybe mention the model year)...

or maybe I should just start a new thread.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:36 am 

At it's narrowest point, the waist measures 26.2cm on the 160cm Hoversplit from my measurements. Probably due to material loss from the board cut.

If you are gonna lose sleep over 2mm, imagine how your girlfriend feels. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:04 pm 

barrows wrote:
Also, some of the rocker/camber profiles on snowboards are so subtle as to not be an issue: that is, in a blind ride test one could not discern the difference. Now I would not say this of Never Summer, whose profile (quite radical) looks to me like it would make the most sense for freestyle riders on groomed slopes...

It works pretty well on steeps too:

Photo by Jason Hummel
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/alpinestateofmind/sets/72157632596680212

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:13 pm 

holy shitshow batman
Breakwater, you obviously have strong opinions and know exactly from experience what you want in a board, that's great. (I agree that magnecraption is a gimmick for novices to get a grip sliding sideways on hardpack).
If you'd have listened to Taylor back around page 2-3 of this spew fest of redundancy you would have already called Sean at Donek and worked out the parameters of exactly the board you claim to be looking for.
He's built more snowboards of all possible sizes, shapes, blended radii and variable flex patterns to the specific requirements of more type and sizes of riders than anyone in this hemisphere. Due to your demanding specificity continuing this discussion of possible options is truly an exercise in futility. Just talk to the man who knows exactly how and has all the equipment to build just the board you want.
He's a nice guy to ride and talk with who knows everything there is to know about building snowboards, so do try to talk to him without coming of as a tool.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:56 pm 

Breakwater wrote:

I HATE Camber/Rocker blended underfoot. Camber under bindings, rocker middle. UGH. It makes an un-predictable board in both flex pattern and shape moving over snow.

I HATE wavy sidecut (Magne-Traction or whatever you want to call it) It makes for an un-predictable board in both edge grip contact points and shape moving over snow.

Breakwater wrote:

To this point, the only board I've physically ridden with all this stuff is a friend's Burton Custom, with some crazy sidecut stuff and rocker stuff.....

:headbang:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:05 pm 

HFT: I hope you will take a moment to write your impressions of the Never Summer SL vs. the Venture Odin when you feel you have adequate riding time on both boards. I am sure many readers at SB.com would be interested in the comparison.

That said, personally, I wish Never Summer would make the 163 SL with an 11-12 meter average radius sidecut, that would be a nice compact board I would be interested in for spring steeps.
I suspect the rocker between the bindings does help mitigate the effects of the deep sidecut somewhat, bringing edge pressure back a bit toward the feet… I love the quality of the Never Summer boards, and that they are made in Colorado, just wish they made something more suited to my preferences.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:14 pm 

Barrows;
Sean Martin - president/founder
Donek Snowboards Inc.
smartin@donek.com
http://www.donek.com
phone:877-53-DONEK

copied from the website

Nomad

DESCRIPTION

Optimized for powder with a long shovel and early rise, this board simply won’t submarine. With a super tight 7m sidecut in the shovel, you’ll always find maneuvering in the trees effortless.

We appreciate that powder is the ultimate goal here, but how many times do you find yourself on hard snow trying to get to the powder? We’ve given this board unprecedented hardpack performance, so you can have a blast finding your goal. We’ve also incorporated a variable sidecut that allows you to stretch out the turns when you want to.

Direct Price: $750
Split Price: $950

CONSTRUCTION DETAILS

Available in standard fiberglass or carbon fiber constructions
Vertical laminate custom ‘Symmetriflex A’ core
Triaxial fiberglass
DuraSurf 2001 sintered base
Die-cut base graphics
Full wrap Rockwell 48 edge
10-pack stainless inserts (16–25.5″ stance)
high gloss PBT Topsheet with your choice of graphics

SPECS L RL scr tip waist tail
Nomad 149 149 108 7 9 28.8 23.5 26.3 $750
Nomad 154 154 113 7 10 29.4 23.9 26.8 $750
Nomad 159 159 118 7 11 30.3 24.6 27.6 $750
Nomad 164 164 123 7 12 30.3 24.5 27.5 $750

Custom dimensions consistent with this construction available for $750. Easily adjust the width to fit your foot or request different lengths at no extra charge.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:16 pm 

b0ardski wrote:
Barrows;
Donek Snowboards Inc.
smartin@donek.com

I know all about Donek, not at all interested either….

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:31 pm 

barrows wrote:
HFT: I hope you will take a moment to write your impressions of the Never Summer SL vs. the Venture Odin when you feel you have adequate riding time on both boards. I am sure many readers at SB.com would be interested in the comparison.

That said, personally, I wish Never Summer would make the 163 SL with an 11-12 meter average radius sidecut, that would be a nice compact board I would be interested in for spring steeps.
I suspect the rocker between the bindings does help mitigate the effects of the deep sidecut somewhat, bringing edge pressure back a bit toward the feet… I love the quality of the Never Summer boards, and that they are made in Colorado, just wish they made something more suited to my preferences.

Barrows,

Have you tried the SL split?

I'm just getting to know mine, but so far I'm very impressed with my 161.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:52 pm 

Well.
One thing is really certain.

If Venture made the Zephyr in a 27 waist 161, the conversation would be over.
:guinness:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:54 pm 

barrows wrote:
b0ardski wrote:
Barrows;
Donek Snowboards Inc.
smartin@donek.com

I know all about Donek, not at all interested either….

Don't let the quality scare you. Might just be the best board you ever put under your feet. Apparently you have some kind of burr up your ass towards Donek so you will probably never know. That is cool, ride what makes you happy. :thumpsup: BTW, life begins at a 15 meter SCR, IF, you have the skill and stones to handle it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:25 pm 

shredgnar wrote:
At it's narrowest point, the waist measures 26.2cm on the 160cm Hoversplit from my measurements. Probably due to material loss from the board cut.

If you are gonna lose sleep over 2mm, imagine how your girlfriend feels. :mrgreen:

Now, this I'm not sure about, but shouldn't a proper splitboard be constructed using two separate cores, rather than just flopping one on the table-saw?

Girlfriend might be a little upset if I flopped the johnson on a table-saw and took 2mm off.

2mm... what do you need that for dude?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdW2I2rLsBY

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next