Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trimming New Skns Knowing I will get a Wider Board
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:37 am 

I know the correct fit for skins should be to the inside of your rails. Is it a big deal if your skins are 1/8” from each rail? Meaning you can see the rail and 1/8” of Ptex? Is it a big deal if the skins cover the rails? Meaning trim the skins to the outside of the board?

I bought a used Voile 173 to get me through the year. It needed new skins and UPS dropped those off today (G3 High Traction Longs). I need to measure the waist width of my 2002ish Voile 173 but I’m assuming its 259mm at this point, this year’s Voile Artisan 168 is 259mm. This summer I either want to buy a Venture Storm 180 split with the 270mm waist or get me a Lib Skunk Ape 180 (my resort board is a 165 skunk BTX) with a 268mm waist and have it split.

Thanks,

Post subject: Re: Trimming New Skns Knowing I will get a Wider Board
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:32 pm 

Never leave skins covering the edge! You would most probably not notice the 5mm gaп on each side when you move to the wider board, but you would definetly suffer if you try to traverse with wider skins (especialy if you try to traverse sideways on a hardpack).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:34 pm 

Last spring I experimented with trimming my skins a little bit narrower in the firm corn and no I notice it on frozen climbing traverses. I should have left them cut to the inside of the edge. If the snow is at all soft then I'm ok and it's only on traverses across very steep faces that I lose traction on the uncovered portion of the base. I'm talking about ~1/4" of exposed ptex. My gear experiments are starting to get expensive... :banghead:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:00 pm 

Jason4 wrote:
Last spring I experimented with trimming my skins a little bit narrower in the firm corn and no I notice it on frozen climbing traverses. I should have left them cut to the inside of the edge. If the snow is at all soft then I'm ok and it's only on traverses across very steep faces that I lose traction on the uncovered portion of the base. I'm talking about ~1/4" of exposed ptex. My gear experiments are starting to get expensive... :banghead:

That's something I didn't think about but I can totally see happening. I kept picturing the difference while skinning up on soft and I couldn't see too much of a negative. I think I am forced to trim them the correct way and figure it the rest out down the road. Once I get home and measure my board I'll know the true damage & try to minimize it from there. Maybe I look at a smaller waist width board which will save weight and make skinning easier. I'm more worried about my size 13 boots. The smallest waist width board I have ridden in the last 8 years is 268mm so I have fallen in love with wide boards.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:38 pm 

I would suggest trimming them to cover the ptex from edge to edge and leave just the edge exposed if you plan to get your next board fairly soon. Once you get your wide board give it a try before spending the money on new skins, I bet they'll work.

I've put in ~15+ days on the skings that I think are too narrow with pretty minimal problems, it's just not optimal. Ski crampons go a long way to make up for any problems with skin traction and good technique will overcome everything else.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:27 am 

I would rather skin a half season with a skin that is a little bit too wide (i.e. covering the metal edges),
than skin multiple seasons with too narrow skins, which is really annoying when traversing on hardpack, as I know from experience.

Apart from that: in case the "too wide" skins should be a real issue on your current board, you could still trim them a second time. However I doubt that that would be necessary.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:52 am 

When skinning and things are slippery (e.g. Icy traverse) our natural instinct is probably to "get an edge in".

With skins on that's totally the wrong thing to do, you want as much surface area of the skin in contact with the snow as possible, so my opinion is to have the skins as wide as you can without overhanging the edge. I'd rather cut them a little on the wide side and trim them if necessary.

Of course you don't want them too wide as it will be hard to get them exactly straight on the "ski" when putting your skins on and having some overhanging the edge.

:twocents:

Post subject: Re: Trimming New Skins Knowing I will get a Wider Board
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:19 am 

Thanks for all the suggestions,

I trimmed them last night the correct way with the G3 trimmer & only the rails are exposed. I measured my current board at 254mm waist. Doing the math if I get a 270mm waist board my skins will be 8mm short per half to 4mm on each side which is 5/32”. I am new to skinning but I really can’t see that being much of an issue. As some of you have said I can always get crampons if it’s an issue and that’s cheaper than new skins. I’m new enough to not really know what conditions I will be skinning in. I’m in Idaho so most of my days should be soft goods but we all know how that goes.

This whole issue could have been avoided if I had the funds to pull the trigger on a Venture Storm ha ha.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:35 am 

4mm is not likely to cause any problems. However if you should run into problems with this you could cut your skins down the middle except for a little part in the very front and rear of the skin. This way you can pull the two halves of the skin as far to the side of the ski as you prefer and leave a small gap in the middle of the skin.

This was not very well explained, english is my second language. Please ask if you do not understand.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:49 am 

Nesse wrote:
4mm is not likely to cause any problems. However if you should run into problems with this you could cut your skins down the middle except for a little part in the very front and rear of the skin. This way you can pull the two halves of the skin as far to the side of the ski as you prefer and leave a small gap in the middle of the skin.

This was not very well explained, english is my second language. Please ask if you do not understand.

I completely understand what you are saying. Although I'm sure its not the ideal method it sounds good to me. I can split them and have a 8mm gap in the middle but only spread them out when I know I will be traverising on conditions where the extra grip is needed. This is the best fix I have heard of yet.

Thanks,

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:30 pm 

You'll be fine with 4mm showing on each side. You might notice it but I'd be really surprised if it made any appreciable difference in the time it takes you to get to the top.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:08 pm 

Sounds good, I'll try them out first before I take the knife to them. I'm a beginner skinner so I doubt I will notice the difference until my technique gets better anyway.