Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Do you switch your board halves when hiking?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:02 pm 

The only answer to this debate is to always skin in deep pow :D

Check out my writings: http://www.adamlreiner.com

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:13 pm 

It seems to me that now is a good time to resurrect the shit talking thread we had going a year or so ago, so here goes.

If you split with the straight side in you're retarded, ugly, and I'm humping your girl!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:33 am 

ale_capone wrote:
I thought skis had radius so they could turn like snowboards?

Straight on the outside for skinning.

Steep side hilling. I dont want my upper foot losing an edge and taking out my lower foot. Much easier to spot your lower fooot with a ski pole.
And as its common belief, less radius equals better edge hole in steep and firm. Think of it as a self belay. Would you do that on your downhill side? Most confident point of contact should be uphill.

Existing ski skin tracks will narrow your gate to the point that your bindins are constantly bumping and catching if you do straight side in.

And as also pointed out, the point part of your board will catch on your skins tip clip. As they pass each other.You will face plant, and maybe damage your board. With the curved edges in, them clips come nowhere near each other

Thats my personal experiance anyhow. I've done all of the above and now refer to the straight sides in as "skis on the wrong foot".out

Thank you ale_capone, everything you stated here makes complete sense to me, this is the kind of answer I was hoping for searching where the switching of the halves has its origins.

Reading your post I realized why I feel more comfortable not switching the board halves while traversing. It's because of the sloppy Burton S-interface in hike mode. Actually I figured out I use also my upper leg for support while traversing, but with the curved edge on the lower foot on uphill side (inside) and the amount of play in the interface I can't get absolutely no edge hold on my lower foot on icy or hard surface. I can make a better notch with the upper foot, so with the slop of the interface upper foot with curved edge has equal edge hold than lower foot with straight edge.
Tahnks :thumpsup:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:44 am 

powderjunkie wrote:
i think it is better to have the straight edge on the upper ski. if you blow the lower ski you still have the upper one catching you and you can stair step way easier. i always dig in with my upper ski on icy traverses.

I absolutely agree with you on this. I now figured out where the "problem" is (see upper post) :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:59 am 

shredgnar wrote:
If you need extra grip side hilling, throw on some crampons. This ain't rocket surgery people!

Or, brain science, either! :mrgreen:

Straight side, outside. Keeps all the interface stuff outta the way...

And, the soft-booted splitboarder must always walk like a cowboy (or cowgirl). :thumpsup:

http://www.splitboardeducationcompany.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:46 pm 

Walking like a cowboy is the best reason for switching so far! :P

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:30 am 

Straight edges in the inside, to have maximum hold when it's most crucial: during kickturns/switchbacks on steep ascents.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:36 am 

This thread inspired me to try an ascent with the straight edges inside, what a mistake. I use the Karakoram clips and I've never tripped on my gear so many times. Literally took a knee some 10 times over 2500ft. There's no way I'm putting the straight edge inside for the hike ever again.

As for "slipping" or having more hold in tricky parts of the climb, use cramp-ons. I started putting them on when I need the tallest climbing ladder and I can't believe how much better it is. The Mr Chomps are so easy to install and they keep you from sliding backwards no matter what. Think about it, you're not really getting any glide uphill so why not get grip? I watch my touring partners without cramp-ons try to make switchbacks and it's somewhat comical. I had the cramp-ons in my bag for so many tours and really never felt it was "extreme" enough conditions to whip them out. Fact is, when it really gets extreme it's too late and inconvenient to put them on.

Having the sidecut on the inside means you will scratch the tips of the skis a little, but the benefits outweigh the scratches in my book.

Prior SwallowTail
Jones Hovercraft
Chimera Sceptre
W/Spark R&D Bindings, Spark R&D Skins
Twitter/Instagram: @theScottBikeman
http://adrianmontgomery.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:57 am 

chimp wrote:
This thread inspired me to try an ascent with the straight edges inside, what a mistake. I use the Karakoram clips and I've never tripped on my gear so many times.
It doesn't make sense to have straight edges inside when using the protruding K-Clips, of course...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:36 am 

I've had the identical experience to chimp. K-clips and straight edges inside are a no-go when touring. I think I also caught the tip hook rivet at some point, though it was a while back.

And yes, Mr Chomps are awesome. :) Boilerplate chunk? Rime ice? Talcum snow on a steep, crusty headwall? No problem.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:10 am 

When I'm schussing the slope down to Gorrona, the inside edges must have the radius. Outside foot initiates the turn, inside foot is your damping and support.

I could have skiing technique way off, but it can help things out when you're trying to cover ground.

"Place more weight on your downhill ski on the inside edge. In that position, on the inside edge of your downhill ski, you are applying more pressure on the side of your big toe. Now, to make a turn, try to move pressure on your downhill ski from your big toe to your little toe at the same time pushing your hand. To do this simply roll your ankles downhill. For example you are going to the right, more weight is going to be on your left leg on the inside edge (side of your big toe) and pushing your right hand. Now roll your ankles from right to the left and changing your pushing hand from right to left. Keep in mind that the pressure has to shift from your big toe to the little toe on the downhill ski and on your uphill ski it has to shift from your little toe to your big toe. These movements have to be done simultaneously."

http://www.youcanski.com/en/instruction/carving.htm

Never thought I'd read about how to carve on "parabolic" skiis.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:44 pm 

Quote:
Straight edges in the inside, to have maximum hold when it's most crucial: during kickturns/switchbacks on steep ascents.

This would be the only reason I see for straight edge inner. Maybe someone can explain the theory for magna on the innner edge. Nobody from Jones can explain this to me. Someone make sense of this for me please.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:46 am 

UTAH wrote:
Quote:
This would be the only reason I see for straight edge inner. Maybe someone can explain the theory for magna on the innner edge. Nobody from Jones can explain this to me. Someone make sense of this for me please.

REI guy told me it allegedly helps with torsional rigidity, which seems somewhat logical. Others I've talked to say that's more theoretical than factual. Ski performance on your flat edge typically blows anyway so not sure how magne could offset the lack of a radius like the other edge.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next