Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2012-2013 Colorado Conditions
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:04 am 

Oh I'm over it Shredgnar, and sorry you find my posts so offensive. BTW, got some powslayer bibs to round off my gaper gear and I have a friend in Summit who has a limo if you need one.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:28 am 

Guys, just giving y'all a hard time. I've just been around long enough to hear people bitch enough people bitch about other people using "their" backcountry. Believe it or not, people were complaining about the backcountry around here getting tracked out 15 years ago, and the tele skiers were bitching about the fucking knuckledraggers tracking out their spot on snowshoes in their skin tracks (yep, that was me).

But, to add to the conditions thread, Vail was full on dust on crust on anything SW thorough West facing yesterday. Vail pass looked to be pretty good and got a little snow, looks better than Summit.

Edit to add: I think I know/have met this limo driver you speak of. Does he live in Zuma?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:52 am 

He may live in Zuma. He's a friend of a good friend of mine in Frisco, met him once and he's a crazy bastard.

Current conditions - It's fucking cold! Again! :banghead: -23.8 at my house, I don't even want to look at the remote stations. Think I'll work today

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:58 am 

wood? arent you in steamboat? im sure theres more than one person using the backcountry with porsche money up there. HA :x

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:53 am 

San Juan Update:

Damn cold here too, came back this weekend with two blackened cheeks from frostbite. I did have a face mask both days, but I guess not enough... :nononno:

Quick tour on Chatanooga at -5 degrees yesterday with good winds. Quite cold, especially for the dog. Dug a pit on E facing aspect at 11,200 ft, and there was some layering around 12 inches down from the new snow, but no slabs that formed and reacted during CT and ECT. They mostly just fell apart and the new storm snow crumbled off. There was about 36" of depth at this aspect, with more or less depending on the areas loading.

Also got out on the snowmobiles on Saturday in La Plata Canyon as my feet didn't allow touring on Saturday, and we were hoping to do some noboarding. Didn't dig any pits, but from getting the snowmobiles stuck so many damn times (which also led to no noboarding), we noticed about 4+ ft of snow, with a around a foot of facets at the bottom. Some huge new snow drifts around 4' were found. No failures seen and didn't venture into any avalanche terrain, but I expect its a little touchy there. La Platas certainly seemed to have about a foot more snow than Silverton area. Going to have to try some new tours out there with the snowmobiles. Was pretty sweet getting 8 miles in breaking trail through a foot of new snow at 25 MPH. Ricky mafucking bobby'n it. :headbang:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:39 am 

No reserve on this casa in $teamboat if anyone wants to join the ranks:

http://ski.curbed.com/tags/steamboat-springs

Berthoud was frigid yesterday. Snow was sticky and slow on North aspects. South aspects had a nasty crust about an inch thick under the last snowfall around 6 inches down. Not fun. Had to spend 30 minutes warming toes in the Peter Rabbit Hut. Unwinter year 2 is in full effect. Still better than work though.

Photo by MountainDog

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:01 am 

HikeforTurns wrote:
Unwinter year 2 is in full effect.
You shut your mouth when your talking to me! :x I will have none of this. It is going to be fat and stable, and its just starting to kick in! Just wait.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:12 am 

HikeforTurns wrote:
Photo by MountainDog

Hey HFT, can you post a close up of that? With it being so cold, I figured we'd see some real cold smoke shots. Looks like you got a pretty cool vortex coming off your board.

Thanks guys for keep us informed on conditions. Haven't been able to get out much and with temps so cold, it doesn't provide much motivation. Changing what my brother says about surfing though, ... a bad day of Splitboarding is still better than a good day of work...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:20 pm 

Nah, no porsche $ in my hood (Oak Creek), But I did jump a couple subarus with my German car today. The audi starts at whatever temp. :lol:

I agree though, Steamboat is yuppie eurotrash heaven.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:48 am 

anyone get out this weekend? we sure need some snow. went to BP and it wasnt amazing but always fun! wind blown madness with a very unstable faceted SHALLOW base. I saw someone rode no name... that kind of surprised me..

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:41 am 

Grouse 2013 by travis young 424, on Flickr

Been touring up towards Mt Jackson. Looks good and deep enough, but this is for sure going to slide. No snow for weeks as we all know, and none on the radar. Wish i was Canadian.

EV is holding together pretty well concidering. lots of dumb asses riding super sketchy conditions. surprised that no one has been in too much trouble back there.

US Open super pipe has been going off!

Phantom Alpha's w TLT5s
DIY 168 Skynk Ape, RC
Lib Tech T.Rice 164.5
Spark R&D Afterburner tesla'

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:58 pm 

Checked out Berthoud last Friday. Hiked to the top of Russel. Lots of wind and wind slabs. Found some soft turns. We then went over to the Vortex and found some nice soft turns. The 7-mile run out was nicely filled in and flowed really well to get to the road.

Still really low snow pack. For those data geeks out there, here is a nice plot of the snow pack over the years. This year is the black line. We are actually below last year's snow pack. Compare that to the year I got hooked on splitboarding which was the best year out of the last 30...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:22 pm 

Yeah, Keff, I did some geeking out too today. Red Mountain is lower then it ever has been on this day since they put that up in 1996. I am trying to remain optimistic, but no big storms in the forecast, I'm starting to get a little perturbed. And I know when it does come, it will be sketchy as hell. We'll see. I'm thinking another PNW trip to salvage like last year.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next