Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Why do splitboarders ride such long boards?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:00 pm 

You could just get your crew to break trail for you and then you could split a Burton Chicklet 125cm. I'd be like longboarding on snow!

Anyways I agree with Barrows. It really depends on location and time of year. Here in Utah (Intermountain), skinning in January is much different than skinning in April. Just as it will be completely different in the Sierra's. It all comes down to that discussion of Maritime, Intermountain, and Continental climate regions.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:22 pm 

jimw wrote:
(On that note, I'd love to try a Furberg, and maybe even OMG HARDBOOTS one of these days :))

Throw the haters a bone; mount up hard boots on your spliff! :headbang:

Nice review of that little board, I was wondering about it. Would be cool to test in a variety of conditions to see how it holds up with difficult skinning conditions, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:58 pm 

Anyone else notice the OP bailed awhile back? Just back away slowly bro. Try not to make eye contact.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:34 pm 

My stance is nearly as wide as that spliff is long.

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:47 am 

Taylor wrote:
My stance is nearly as wide as that spliff is long.
Taylor for the win! :headbang:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:10 am 

Good one. :) Yeah, it actually is kinda weird especially if you have a wider stance, but even at the reference 21" stance... it rides like a longer board, then you look down and go, "OMG where's the board??"

Jefe, I may just have to mount up some hardboots on that thing just because! Actually I have a pair of old Oxygen Koflach's lying around somewhere. Those and some old Voile plates FTW!

I'm sure there will be some limitations with it that will show up as the season progresses, but so far I'm really surprised. I haven't done any extended deep snow trailbreaking (I try to be a slowpoke so that everyone else will eventually get frustrated and break trail for me!), but I did try some short test loops off the side of the skintrack on a couple deep days. I was, again, pretty surprised. I thought they would sink more than they did. Interestingly they feel a little stiffer than my longer splits in ski mode, probably because well they're shorter and thus less of a lever to flex. And they RULE for kickturns! :)

Actually, my only beef with them so far for skinning is that my current skins are now WAAAY too long. I have to fold them over the tails and secure them with a Voile strap!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:41 pm 

jimw wrote:

Actually, my only beef with them so far for skinning is that my current skins are now WAAAY too long. I have to fold them over the tails and secure them with a Voile strap!

Haha! Nice skin sandwich Jim! :clap: :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:52 pm 

Old solid was T. Rice 164.5 with full banana rocker:
Loved it coming from an old 162 Burton Canyon... easier to turn, better grip with magnetraction, way better float. Overall made snowboarding twice as fun.

New solid is Rossignol Kryto 168 (identical to Experience but 10% softer):
Took a couple days to get used to.... but love it MORE than the T. Rice. So much easier to ride all day and float over everything - powder, chop, old snow debris. Base is in another league compared to Lib Tech, and with the giant upturned nose I can truly put as much weight on the front foot as I want. Took the T. Rice out on a completely unexpected three foot pow day at Stevens Pass and hated every minute of it knowing that the Rossi was 2 hours away in my garage.

Split is a Venture Zephyr 168/26:
Still learning to love this one. In powder on moderate/low angle terrain it is certainly floaty and agile enough. But in variable and steeper sections I feel like the board is riding me. Maybe I need a few more trips to break it in, but on the Rossi the nose is just slightly softer so that it flexes and pushes back on a steep hard carve. On the Venture so far the flex isn't as lively for me... heavier damper slower not as fun. Everything else about the Venture is awesome (quality, shape, skinning)

Don't know where I'm going with this other than to say I also picked up a Salomon Powder Snake 163 (identical shape to Sick Stick) and will try it out this weekend to see if I can really tell the difference between a 7m and a 10m sidecut or if it's all just hyped up in my head!

Me = 6'-4" 185# riding in PNW

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:51 pm 

Haha Jim it almost looks like your snow shoeing. Those boards are impossibley small. I would love to try something like that but all of Burtons cool shapes are not for size 13's

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7