Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: shopping for a jacket, what is best for touring
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:32 pm 

With the advent of Gore-Tex Pro Shell, I have changed my tune on W/B shells. I used to be a dedicated soft shell user (both Schoeller type stretch wovens and semi permeable membranes like Powersheild), but I really do find that Gore Tex Pro Shell breathes enough for me in the cold, dry conditions of Colorado winter to be able to use it on both the up and the down (not in spring though, and I understand why it might not work for those in CA). Now, here in CO in winter, I wear Arcteryx Gore Tex shells, and using the pit zips and hip vents, I stay totally dry during the skin; get to the top, and I close the vents and I am good for the transition and descent.
Of course, if you are in a warmer, lower, or wetter environment, you may not have enough breathability with Gore Tex Pro Shell, but it really is more breathable than the lower levels of Gore Tex.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:31 am 

jimw wrote:
As far as skins in the jacket, yes that can actually be useful. IMO it's not about speed or drying out, I've found it mainly useful when the skins are super cold and aren't sticking anymore. Then having them in the jacket even a short time can warm them up enough to stick.

I've found that using the edge of the snowboard to scrape back on worth on frozen glue works so well that putting them in the jacket isn't necessary.

For me, wet or frozen shit in my jacket is a last resort.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:09 am 

powderjunkie wrote:
just got a new marmot alpinist.
light, compact, 3L gortex which I want in a shell for the cold wet sierra storms

hey wjb - I have a lightly used marmot alpinist from maybe 3 seasons ago if you're interested. Large, Green.

Thanks for the offer powderjunkie but I am most definitely an XL. I first bought a Flylow Quantum. After I received the jacket 2 flaws stood out. First the outside hand pockets are under the pack belt. It does have 2 chest pockets so not a huge deal but the killer was when I raised my arms up the jackets hem was about my belly button. Back to square one. After more research I found a killer deal on this

http://www.climberism.com/gear-review-w ... -lt-hoody/

No powderskirt so I will probably get bibs for super deep resort days. But it is super light. Bomber. Pockets big enough for skins if needed and it is made by Canadians so it has to be good right :mrgreen: The Quantum is probably going back if the Westcomb is as good as the hype. I will get it later this week and let you know what I think. Yes I most definitely layer. I am usually down to the base layer on the up. I have a down puffy for change overs if needed and for lunch. My midlayer is probably what needs upgrading next as it is just a beat up old fleece or this north face zip neck thing so suggestions for that would be helpful. Thanks so much for all the advice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:38 pm 

I use a Mountain Hardware Pac-lite shell. Its super lightweight and thin. I only wear it in wind or precipitation, otherwise it stays in my pack. But its great, I use it every season of the year. Backpacking, hiking, splitboarding. It breathes ok but I get pretty hot so when I'm hiking I'm typically in a t-shirt or base layer.

As for skins, I use the pinch and roll method between laps. That way I don't need to stick them in my jacket and they are easy to separate without having to keep them warm.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:49 pm 

Bibs Rock. Like this: :rock:

Gives you a bigger choice of jackets (shorter maountaineery-cut ones, means riding in a mid/base layer is just a bit more practical.

And as far as warmth/breathability/windproofness goes, I've been massively impressed with my Rab Vapour-rise jacket. I'd thought it would be a breathable mid layer for the up and warm spring skiing, but I've worn in some pretty nasty conditions and it's kept enough out that the hardshell stayed in the pack way longer than I thought it would. Soft enough inside to wear as a base layer, too.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:19 pm 

I used to have the Patagonia Six Chuter bibs. Got them working at the Utah Olympic Bobsled Track. Good stuff. Unfortunately, the chest-to-back through-your-legs zipper started blowing out. Meaning a crotch full of powder mid run... Patagonia warrantied it, though. Bummer, as they were bomber bibs, and nothing they make today is close.

Now I'm using a pair of Arc'teryx bibs and I leave the top suspender part folded down skinning up. There's a "belt" that helps hold the pants up, and keeps the top half in place. Going up it's got full leg zips to dump heat. Once I'm at the top, or it's just cold out, I pull up the suspenders and upper half of the bib.

Point about the bibs is that they let you wear a less bulky jacket. No real need for a powder skirt, layers stay tucked in, no more snow down your pants, etc. You really stay a lot warmer with bibs on vs. pants only.

With the bibs, I really like using a lightweight softshell, and keep a gore tex pro shell in the pack if it gets really windy/rainy/cold.

Snowboarding steez is great and all, but I like being comfortable at the cost of fashion.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:49 pm 

Trew: The Bellows
Expensive and legit.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:43 am 

I wear a Burton Ak 3l (gore tex pro shell) jacket at the resort. Usually a patagonia micro puff hoody underneath with a wool zip neck baselayer under a zip neck light fleece. The AK 3L jackets are awesome, mine is last years- FYI designed. Lifetime warranty...

Touring I only bring a hardshell if it's snowing hard or I'm going to be going down something tightly treed (usually am on the east coast). I never wear a hardshell while going uphill unless I have to --- raining or dumping wet snow.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:58 am 

6 months ago I converted to bibs, yes they won't win any fashion awards, but splitboarding, I think we all agree is about function not form.

I previously had burton AK pants (pro shell) and jacket(perf shell). When I bought them 4 years ago I had no idea about the difference between different goretex's I.e. pro shell, perf shell. The jacket is bomber and I still have it (albeit with various duct tape repairs for cuts, holes etc). I got the pants replaced under warranty as they wore super quickly.

Long story short, I ended up buying patagucci (insert light hearted insult here) super alpine shell and bibs as they were on sale. They are much lighter than the burton shells, which I really like for touring. They're certainly tough, although I ve only had them for 6 months (bout 25 days in 'em so far). The pants are much more slim fit than normal snowboard pants, but that's fine with me. I love not having to bother with a powder skirt and I've had zero problems with powder down my crack (done a lot of riding in powdery Japan too).

I've worn a harness a few times when touring on glaciers and these fit really well with this setup, for those with a more technical bent.

If you can get them on sale, I'd recommend them. The great thing about bibs too is that if you like one brand jacket and another brand bibs, you don't have to worry about whether or not the powder skirt zips into the other brand etc.

I guess the nuclear orange here explains why they were on sale.

:twocents:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:34 pm 

Method wrote:

Damn I though my shit was bright!! :thumpsup:

Sweet bibs tho.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:25 pm 

Gormley Green wrote:
Method wrote:

Damn I though my shit was bright!! :thumpsup:

Sweet bibs tho.

I'd so go nuclear orange!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:57 am 

jimw wrote:
I've actually been looking at bibs too, so interested in any feedback/suggestions.

The Marmot Flight looks intriguing, you can zip off the bib upper on days where you don't need it:

PSA, for those members of the AAC, Promotive has Black in M and XL for 50% off.

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:41 pm 

Ooh, thanks for the tip. Those look pretty cool. Just signed up for AAC, been meaning to do that for a while anyway. Didn't know about Promotive, looks like a great benefit (but like I need another SAC/The Clymb-type site to drain money into! :)). Speaking of The Clymb, they have AAC memberships on discount right now. Of course I didn't see that until after I already signed up...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next