Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Wide Splitboards. Above 26.2 Waist
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:44 am 

Breakwater wrote:
powslash wrote:
Zephyr 160/26 and be done with it. Don't want to hear any bullshit about 2mm.

Also, OCD for the win. Next level.

I dont' know.
Maybe I said somewhere before that I boot out slightly on a Ride DH 2.1 that is 26.2 in the waist, but don't have my feet lift the edge off the ground. I won't make a sacrifice on anything less than 26.2, whether you like it or not. I really don't care if you don't like that fact.
Afterall guy. I'm the one riding this board. Not you. Again, christ, what works for me might not work for you. What works for you might not work for me.

If you are gluten intolerant, just have a little dab of bread with your bowl of soup.
I don't want to hear any bullshit about a crumb of bread. Espeicially when you are keeled-over vomiting and crapping your brains out.

Me, I love Gluten.
:guinness:
But you should try a crumb because Gluten works for me

Then choose a 27 cm waist from Venture, they make those as well.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:50 am 

barrows wrote:
I, at least, am a little confused when you mention carving uphill circles and such, as this kind of riding just does not happen in the backcountry?

No, It does not.
But, I surf. And I like to Rail-out hard. I am open to any board shape.. I ride a pure symetrical Ride DH2.1 and A Jones Hoevercraft. I'll ride anything if it fits.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:52 am 

barrows wrote:
OK, so you need around a 26+ CM waist, I conclude that you are rockin' US size 11 plus feet, right?

No,
What I think I said is I need a MINIMUM of a 26.2 in the waist. which is based off of my Ride.

It depends on the brand. I wear an 11.5 Merrel street-shoe right now.
My Snowboard boots, right now, are 32 brand. They are size 12s. Other brands I've been 11s... boots are subjective.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:56 am 

barrows wrote:
Now, what are going to be the predominant conditions you want to ride in? You say you are back east, so we are talking, generally, smaller mountains, and tight, mini golf style terrain. I have ridden the backcountry around Stowe for example, where the terrain can be steep, with tight trees, little cliffs, waterfalls, bushes, and can be some powder, but usually not deep. If I was living there, I would choose a board which offers very quick turning, and which rides with a nose up attitude to clear obstacles, and allow for powder riding even at moderate speeds. I usually advise folks looking for a backcountry board for back east to try one of the "fish" type splitboards: the Jones Hovercraft, Chimera Unicorn Chaser, Prior Khyber, or Trapper Trout Trap. These boards combine a tapered shape, with a short tail and setback stance, keeping the board riding with a nose up attitude to clear obstacles (without having to be maching) and also are very manueverable, even at moderate speeds, because of the smaller tail.

Yes, Exactly. That is what I will be riding.
That is why I am shopping for a (around 160 length) board.

This is also VERY helpful, because I have never heard of the Chimera Unicorn Chaser, or Trapper Trout Trap. And, now, because you've helped me... I can research those.

That's why I'm here. To find other options in the marketplace that fit my requirements.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:00 am 

barrows wrote:
Getting the width you are looking for may be a little challenging though, although it appears that the Hovercraft fits the bill, and apparently the "magnetration" is moderate enough to not bother you conceptually. Now, you are going to rant about the weird camber profile on the Chimera Unicorn Chaser, but worry not, it is subtle, and it does, actually work very well, and Chimera may make a wider version to suit you (not all the boards they make are listed at their site: chimerasnowboards.com). The most "normal" of these is likely the Trapper Trout Trap, I do not remember the width though, you will need to check their site: trappersnowboards.com.

No Kidding.
I weigh 155lbs, which is a normal weight for a 5'8" male.
But, I have big feet. Big hands, and well.....

If I weighed 350lbs finding clothing that fit the bill might be challenging.
This isn't a fat-man's forum. But if it were, I'd be here looking for help for rags for my blubber.

Instead, it's a splitboard forum, and I'm here looking for splitboards for my fat feet.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:03 am 

Psst the Jones Solution also comes in a 163W which is 26.2 wide.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:06 am 

barrows wrote:
Now, you are going to rant about the weird camber profile on the Chimera Unicorn Chaser, but worry not, it is subtle, and it does, actually work very well, and Chimera may make a wider version to suit you (not all the boards they make are listed at their site: chimerasnowboards.com). The most "normal" of these is likely the Trapper Trout Trap, I do not remember the width though, you will need to check their site: trappersnowboards.com.
These style boards seem specialized at first, out here in the west with our bigger terrain I prefer a board designed to be more stable at higher speeds, but back east one of these would be a quiver of one for the backcountry, where the terrain and snow conditions do not allow for much high speed riding.

I'm not going to rant about mange-traction. What I am going to do is not spend my Federal Reserve Notes on it.
I'm going to buy a board that fits. And that's it.
If that means there is One single board in the marketplace that suits what I want, That is what I am going to buy.
Afterall, I'm going to only purchase ONE board, so why should I care how many options are in the Marketplace? It would be nice to be able to ride anything. But with my requirement's I JUST CAN'T.
I'll end up on my ass or face with a board that's too narrow. I've been through this for the last 20 years....

Damn have I put up with some narrow-ass boards over the years... Burton Dragon... Finally there are some wides in the market and I don't have to sacrifice any longer, so I won't. Final answer.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:06 am 

shredgnar wrote:
Psst the Jones Solution also comes in a 163W which is 26.2 wide.

VERY HELPFUL!
Thank You. I will add this to my list!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:09 am 

barrows wrote:
If, conceptually, something about the "fish" style boards bothers you, then you should consider a more "normal" board like the aforementioned Venture Zephyr with a 26 cm waist or the Never Summer SL. Yes, these boards have variable radius sidecuts, and a complex rocker/camber profile on the SL, get over it, none of these profiles are so radical that they are going to make the board dictate to you only one possible way to ride it. In fact, the Never Summer R/C pofile is designed to account for the fact that your weight is not evenly distributed over the board with a traditional profile: there is much more weight over your feet, the Never Summer R/C profile actually provides a ride with the pressure more evenly distributed along the entire board surface. With respect to karkis, who loves the Never Summer SL, it is not a board for me out here (but that is just personal preference, I do not like the deep sidecut), but for back east, that is a board I would consider as it would also be highly manueverable.

Dear god man.
Maybe I said somewhere I won't compromise below 26.2 waist, or variable sidecuts and rocker.

I have nothing agaist the "Fish" style boars. I ride a Hovercraft solid. I love it. That's why the Hovercraft split is on my list....
The sidecut & rocker/Camber profile looks like this:

The NS boards are too variable sidecut/rocker/camber for me. I will not be spending my Federal Reserve Notes on them. Final answer.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:35 am 

If anyone hasn't figured out by now, Gear and Snowboards are not one-size fits all.

What works for me, I don't care if it doesn't work for you. Don't sell me crap i'm not in the market for.
Successful salesmen clear an easy 100k a year how? Not by pushing crap on people. But by letting the customer describe their needs and then offering the product they have that suits what they are after.
If it fits, cha-ching the register opens. If not. buh-bye, find another vendor.

I, for one think about everything I buy before I purchase it.
Infact, when my last set of bindings failed I upgraded both of my boards to the same binding. Union Contact Pro's.

Now, when a part fails (as they allways do) I can repair or swap a binding in no-time flat and get right back in the action.... While you go to the shop and come out with a toe-ratchet strap from the Rippey era and some friggin' duct-tape.

At the end of the day, I'll still see you at the bar.
It's just that you'll be telling me how epic the cash-register line was. I'll be telling you about how the fall-line was.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:42 am 

Breakwater wrote:
If anyone hasn't figured out by now, Gear and Snowboards are not one-size fits all.

What works for me, I don't care if it doesn't work for you. Don't sell me crap i'm not in the market for.
Successful salesmen clear an easy 100k a year how? Not by pushing crap on people. But by letting the customer describe their needs and then offering the product they have that suits what they are after.
If it fits, cha-ching the register opens. If not. buh-bye, find another vendor.

I, for one think about everything I buy before I purchase it.
Infact, when my last set of bindings failed I upgraded both of my boards to the same binding. Union Contact Pro's.

Now, when a part fails (as they allways do) I can repair or swap a binding in no-time flat and get right back in the action.... While you go to the shop and come out with a toe-ratchet strap from the Rippey era and some friggin' duct-tape.

At the end of the day, I'll still see you at the bar.
It's just that you'll be telling me how epic the cash-register line was. I'll be telling you about how the fall-line was.

As I stated, you are such a tool.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:56 am 

Took 7 pages to get to a Jones 26.2 waist. YOU ARE ALL FIRED.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:56 am 

shredgnar wrote:
As I stated, you are such a tool.

Whatever dude.
You don't intimidate me, but there's no sense to engage in a mud-fight.
Some of your other posts were helpful. This one is not....

Moving forward I'm looking at:

-Jones Hovercraft
-Jones Solution 163x
-Venture Euphoria
-Voile Palindrome

Damn, That's FOUR boards that actually fit my specs without compromise. How-bout that. All it took was some thought.

Going to research:
- Donek custom's since they don't have a oversize fee.
-Chimera Unicorn Chaser
-Trapper Trout Trap.

Hopefully some of these might work.

Thanks to those that want to help.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next