Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Wide Splitboards. Above 26.2 Waist
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:19 am 

shredgnar wrote:
I'll just let you keep wondering, because you are such a tool.

Ok guy, if that's what makes you feel better.

I wasn't aware being an educated consumer and researching product that "fits" correctly prior to purchasing was criteria for being a Tool....
Actually, quite the inverse. People like you rocking Black Gordini and persimmon Bolle goggs that you paid MSRP for are my criteria for Tools. :cry:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:22 am 

Breakwater wrote:
shredgnar wrote:
I'll just let you keep wondering, because you are such a tool.

Ok guy, if that's what makes you feel better.

I wasn't aware being an educated consumer and researching product that "fits" correctly prior to purchasing was criteria for being a Tool....
Actually, quite the inverse. People like you rocking Black Gordini and persimmon Bolle goggs that you paid MSRP for are my criteria for Tools. :cry:

Yeah, you got me pegged. BTW You live on the east coast, I win.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:28 am 

shredgnar wrote:
Yeah, you got me pegged. BTW You live on the east coast, I win.

Yup. You win. The "West is Bettar"
Hope you get a few good turns in somewhere :guinness:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:34 am 

So,
Magne-Gimmick. and the de-tuned edge lifted burton.

Great stuff for beginners, and making boards easy to ride, edge hold grip and etc, but for more advanced riders, it doesn't help any to make smooth radius turns... It just scrapes snow.

I'd appreciate the help for anyone who may know of splitters that fit this criteria on the Market:
-Minimum 26.2 Waist.
-Roughly 160 length... not above 163 to stay nimble.
-Constant radius or smooth-arc sidecut... no Magne-Traction please.

So far I've got:
-Venture Euphoria
-Jones Hovercraft (need to confirm waist with... with the manufacturer)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:52 am 

Donek custom

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:04 am 

You could pick a solid board that meets all your requirements and split it. You would have infinitely more decks to choose from.

I'm a bit confused on your wanting a constant radius sidecut for carving turns and yet the Euphoria is still on your list. It seems like reverse sidecut would be far worse than even exaggerated magne traction.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:23 am 

You should take the hovercraft off your list, every board Jones makes has mellow magne.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:25 am 

Zude wrote:
Donek custom

I'm at-least hoping for an off-the-shelf production board that fits the bill.. if it's made.
If not, that's fine. If the only option is a custom-widened Donek, Prior or etc then that's what I'll do.
Custom Widening is surely an option, but that's another $150 added to my bill. If I have to, I have to..

Anything's possible. It just requires Munee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:34 am 

philip.ak wrote:
You could pick a solid board that meets all your requirements and split it. You would have infinitely more decks to choose from.

I'm a bit confused on your wanting a constant radius sidecut for carving turns and yet the Euphoria is still on your list. It seems like reverse sidecut would be far worse than even exaggerated magne traction.

Thanks for the help & input.
There are companies that split solid decks, so I suppose that is an option.
Again, preferably a factory board that fits the bill. but this is something I'd atleast consider.
The only downside being that obviously splits are designed with two-cores, and longevity wise are better options that "aftermarket" splits that are cut down the center of their cores. Like everything else I'd like a "pro"-board, and wouldn't cut it myself to make sure it came out Aces.

The Euphoria is only an option because it meets the length, and width criteria.
It also DOES have a constant radius sidecut for smooth turns. It just happens to have a reverse sidecut.
Don't know if I'd like the board or not, but there's no harm in considering it.

Yes, we do get more than 6 inches of snow on the lame East-Coast. Not all the time, but it happens. I'm not looking to ride this board 7 days a week.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:55 am 

KennyGPorters wrote:
You should take the hovercraft off your list, every board Jones makes has mellow magne.

Yes, the Jones does have mellow Magne-

As mentioned, I do have the 2011/2012 Hovercraft solid. It does have the Mellow Magne-
But it's so mellow that I can live with it. Any lumpy sidecut I can't stand.
here's a few photos of the board... The Magne-traction is, clearly VERY, VERY, mellow.
It's there, but it doesn't make the sidecut look like a line-drawing from a 3rd grader.

Fortunatley I feel that this soft of Magne-traction does not interefere with a railed-out big radius turn, and I would be open to accepting a board so long as the Magne-traction was very, very minimal...... such as the 2011/2012 Jones Hover.

Photos came out sideways:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:12 am 

Is Jones's mellow mag more disruptive or less disruptive of the constant radius than NS's 'vario power grip'? To me the VPG is more like a quadratic sidecut or a constantly varying arc than magne traction where you have alternating positive and negative sidecut sections.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:32 am 

voile

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:34 am 

philip.ak wrote:
Is Jones's mellow mag more disruptive or less disruptive of the constant radius than NS's 'vario power grip'? To me the VPG is more like a quadratic sidecut or a constantly varying arc than magne traction where you have alternating positive and negative sidecut sections.

Regarding Never Summer, all I really know is this:
I was at the shop the other day, and I picked up a solid off of the rack.
I'm not 100% certain, but if I recall it was the Legacy, Which is above my 26.2 (at 26.4) criteria in a 159 length, which is why I would have entertained looking at it.

I rolled the board over, sighted down the lines, and in about four seconds had the board back on the shelf and kept walking.
Ironically Lib-tech was next, and I just passed directly over that manufacturer. It seems they make good stuff.... but not for me.

I'm not sure if it was the NS sidecut alone, the rocker/camber combination alone, or a combination of the two, but I can tell you, sighting down the sidecut radius and rocker radius the combination of the two was all-over the place.

So, I would say that, to me, from what I saw the NS Magne-Whatever we want to call it is more disruptive, and the board's overall profile is not feathered in smoothly.
But, I'd be glad to be convinced otherwise if NS has other models that are not as "disruptive"
I'm sure the variable radius rocker/camber combination is a great thing for alot of people... but it's not for everyone. Me being one of them.

It's easy to tell.
Take the photo of my Hovercraft I just uploaded. One could say that this sidecut radius is fair, even though it has Magne-Traction. If I were to take this similar photo with, ateast the Never-Summer Boards I've fondled with my own two hands, the sidecut would be visibly more disruptive.

Thanks for the help!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next