Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Wide Splitboards. Above 26.2 Waist
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:58 pm 

The minimum waisted board I can ride is 26.2 in the waist. That comes from a Ride DH2 Solid, which I still boot-out on slightly.
The "issue" is that I am primarily a surfer, and as such I lay trenches on a snowboard. Most snow-gear is really oriented toward upright riders on a narrow board with small feet. That, is not me.
Last season I purchased a Jones Hovercraft solid, 160 Length. That board is 26.4 in the waist, and I don't boot-out on it....

So, With that said what options do I have for factory (not custom widened) split boards on the market that are above the minimum 26.2 Waist. Length I would prefer to keep down to around 160 size, I ride East-Coast, and need to keep the length nimble.

Thanks
:guinness:

Post subject: Re: Wide Splitboards. Above 26.2 Waist
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:19 pm 

Never Summer SL 163X is 268 wide
Never Summer Prospector 161X is 265 wide

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:58 pm 

philip.ak wrote:
Never Summer SL 163X is 168 wide

Ah, I should have specified also, without that Magne-Traction poop :banghead:
Rocker is here to stay, but hopefully Magne-Traction is a passing fad.

High-speed I like a constant radius and predictable shape. The Magne-Traction throws me off with too much variation in the board.
It's like trying to slam down 3 plates of thanksgiving. Lots of lumps and variation in the gravy throws your mojo off and keeps you out of the Joey Chestnut mode.

What's the MINIMUM ammount of snow a Venture Eupohoria can be ridden on?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:41 pm 

Breakwater wrote:
philip.ak wrote:
Never Summer SL 163X is 168 wide

Ah, I should have specified also, without that Magne-Traction poop :banghead:
Rocker is here to stay, but hopefully Magne-Traction is a passing fad.

High-speed I like a constant radius and predictable shape. The Magne-Traction throws me off with too much variation in the board.

theyre not magna traction
'vario' radii is totally predictable, just point n shoot

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:05 am 

karkis wrote:
heyre not magna traction
'vario' radii is totally predictable, just point n shoot

No, It's mange-traction.
Magne-traction, variable radius, whatever gimmicky name you want to call it. A sidecut should be clean if you slay.

If I wanted to draw a clean arcing turn, I'd chose a constant radius sidecut that stayed in it's lane.. If I wanted to draw a sloppy turn that hooked-up half way through, I'd choose a sidecut that varied.

What's the fastest shape through water? (snow is essentially water) It's a clean, fair, foiled shape. Not a variable one.

Some of these variations in boards are designed for schizos that don't know what they want. :thumbsdown:
Like that Burton thing with the edges of the tip & tail "rocketed" Basically making the tip & Tail detuned.
-Please.

What's the MINIMUM ammount of snow a Venture Euphoria can be ridden in?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:23 am 

I haven't rode a euphoria but have got on a reverse side cut board and I wouldn't want to ride it if it wasn't bottomless.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:44 am 

Venture makes most of their boards up to 27cm waist width.

If magnetraction bothers you that much, then don't buy a board with it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:48 am 

shredgnar wrote:
Venture makes most of their boards up to 27cm waist width.

If magnetraction bothers you that much, then don't buy a board with it.

Yes, I've checked out Venture's other stuff. They do make 27 waist boards, but unfortunately they are big-lengths. 165+
At that point, the board is too long for what I'm looking for.
My cousin has a Venture Zephyr 165, 27 waist... Just too long to be nimble.

Any other options on the market I'm missing that are roughly 160, big waist, no Magne-gimmick?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:01 am 

I don't think you want the euphoria. If you're only going to use it to float, which you would, when will you use it on the east coast? And by the way, Venture uses a quadratic sidecut; they rail, just my 2 cents.
Regarding how much pow is needed? Think about it...how many bottomless turns do you make in the east? This board will plane in shallower snow, but when making a turn, depending on the density of the snow, I'd think you'd want a minimum of 6". Write Venture, they will give you a good answer. I'd also like to hear more about the detuned burton tips.
I at first squabled over a 163 in the VT trees. Now that I've gotten use to it, there is no going back. I've had to work harder to get quick turns on a longer, stiffer deck, but the ride out on cruded up hiking trails is like butta!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:34 am 

Fair enough...
I don't think I want a Euphoria either, but I do want to explore what options I have.
So, let's assume the Euphoria wants a min of 6" of snow.

Ok, Ok, It hasn't snowed in a year and a half on the East-Coast, but it does POW out here, anyone that says otherwise is a N.J. Gaper. Just not as much, and you've gotta be ready for it.
I'm not afraid of pow-specific boards, especially with All-Conditions boards already in the "Quiver"

As mentioned, I have a 160 Jones Hovercraft Solid. Great pow-board, and I can still get back to the lifts.

What is the waist-width on the 2012/2013 Jones Hovercraft Split?
Anyone Know? Information on the web is either clearly wrong (a copy from the 156) or not available.

I'm not afraid of a board even up to 170 in length. It's just, well, I ride fast. I'd crush a 170 on open terrain, but I'm going to be riding this splitter in various terrain, which means mixed trees... and a long board in trees I go TOO fast on.

Yes, Venture has the quadratic sidecut. Which is multiple sidecut radiuses feathered into one.
But, It is NOT lumps in the gravy like the Magne-Gimmick boards. it's still a fair radius that progressively changes through the length of the board.

A friend has this Burton board with the de-tuned tip & tail. I'll need to ask him what the model is.
I do the waxing for about 15 friends in my area. $10 a wax for the CH-Swix. I only know about this Burton board because I have waxed it.
When I saw it, I LOLed :scratch:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:57 am 

I have no idea what you are talking about with board widths. For one, as you can see on this page: http://jonessnowboards.com/index.php/pr ... hovercraft
the 156 and 160 have different dimensions. Yes, this is the page for the solid Hovercraft, but the dimensions are basically the same for the split. The 160 hovercraft is 26.4 at the waist. I have one, I measured it, and the info is correct.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:10 am 

shredgnar wrote:
I have no idea what you are talking about with board widths. For one, as you can see on this page: http://jonessnowboards.com/index.php/pr ... hovercraft
the 156 and 160 have different dimensions. Yes, this is the page for the solid Hovercraft, but the dimensions are basically the same for the split. The 160 hovercraft is 26.4 at the waist. I have one, I measured it, and the info is correct.

Yes, Exactly. The Jones website only had dimensions for the solid.
one would ASSUME that the split is the same, but, is it?
If the dimensions are "basically" the same, that's not good enough for me. I need to know that the dimensions are, "Actually" the same. The result if they are different is that I WILL boot-out.

I spoke to Backcountry.com through their chat. They told me a warehouse rep measured the waist on the Hover-Split at 261.6.... That's what they told me.

If you have one, and you measured it, well, that confirms what one would assume. that waist widths are the same between the split & Solid.
Also, If you have the 2012/2013 Jones Hoevercraft split, does this year's model have the Magne-Gimmick?

As mentioned, I have last year's Hovercraft Solid. It has Magne-Gimmick, but fortunatley it is VERY, VERY mellow. On a soft radius and mellow Magne-Gimmick, it is something I can live with, not like the agressive Magne-Gimmick of other shapes.

If the Hovercraft is, infact 26.4, that means my two options now are:

-Venture Euphoria
-Jones Hovercraft

Are there any others I'm missing?
Thanks for the help.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:13 am 

I'll just let you keep wondering, because you are such a tool.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next