Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums






It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 298 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 23  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Dynafit TLT 5 Mountain, WOW!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:55 am
Posts: 116
Location: London/Berlin
Well, after several days of carpet touring (much to the amusement of my non-snow flatmate) the boots fit much better and I actually doesn't have bloodflow problems now (this with the TF-X moldable liners).

But has anyone tried the Intuition Pro Tour liner with the boots? I consider getting it. It looks interesting with the use of softer foam in some places, such as the rear cuff, which gives more forward flex. Sounds snowboard friendly to me.
Is it actually reeeally worth it to replace the stock TF-X (remmeber, these are supposed to be thermoformable, unlike the regular TF)? I have already dropped £330 on the boots and the liners are £170 more (how cool it is in the UK) which is pretty much a third boot worth of money...

_________________
Looking for partner for Chile & Argentina from 10th August to 10th September 2014 Topic


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dynafit TLT 5 Mountain, WOW!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:35 pm
Posts: 26
Location: Vancouver BC
Just saw this. Thought it might be of some interest to those who love the TLT 5's. Note that what they show on this page is the "performace" version but there is also a "mountain" (or non-carbon) version. Try no to drool on your keyboards

http://www.wildsnow.com/9044/dynafit-new-beast-cho-oyu-2013-2014/

you've gotta scroll about halfway down the page to see it

_________________
Frost on the ground and stoke in the air
Prior Backcountry 161, Dynafit/Mountain Plates, Scarpa Rush


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dynafit TLT 5 Mountain, WOW!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:09 pm
Posts: 330
Location: Colorado
besty_split wrote:
Just saw this. Thought it might be of some interest to those who love the TLT 5's. Note that what they show on this page is the "performace" version but there is also a "mountain" (or non-carbon) version. Try no to drool on your keyboards

http://www.wildsnow.com/9044/dynafit-new-beast-cho-oyu-2013-2014/

you've gotta scroll about halfway down the page to see it


TLT6..... :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Unreal, can't wait..

Those new ski bindings look off the hook! I think they have the light weight ski binding market nailed, now they are going after those that want a more sturdy ski binding ie.. huckers, and bad asses. I have a lot of respect for the designs at Dynafit. The Race Auto-lock Fronts I picked up are unreal. Weight next to nothing. Perfect for us splitboarders. You can tell a lot of time, money and skill went into making that toe piece. Top notch. Thank you Dynafit for the TLT5, can't wait to check out the TLT6...

Looking forward to SIA... it's going to be another good year!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dynafit TLT 5 Mountain, WOW!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:45 pm
Posts: 851
Location: hopefully not at work
keffler wrote:
TLT6..... :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Unreal, can't wait..


AGREED! Pretty sure that's the boot that'll get me to (finally) make the switch. So sick...

Now when do I need to get on the list for some Phantoms?

_________________
Chris

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dynafit TLT 5 Mountain, WOW!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 682
Location: Tahoma, Ca
tlt 6 is so sick!

a renaissance is happening folks

_________________
www.tahoemobileskirentals.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dynafit TLT 5 Mountain, WOW!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:05 am
Posts: 1515
Location: Colorado
One thing which makes the TLT5 ride so well is that the sole is really thin, this also contributes to the boots relative lack of warmth. It appears that the TLT6 will have the same thin sole, so it still may not have enough additional warmth for really cold (read expeditions, high altitudes) conditions. But, the ability to fit more feet is a great improvement alone.

_________________
Never Summer Prospector 167X, furberg 173 DIY, Dynafit TLT5/6 Mountain , Phantom Bindings, BD Glidelite Skins
Quiver Killer inserts

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dynafit TLT 5 Mountain, WOW!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 12:17 pm
Posts: 130
Location: Wasangeles
TLT5s arrived today. HB setup will be tested tomorrow

:disco: :disco: :disco: :disco: :disco: :disco:

Barrows - I admit to suffering from information overload on the mods, is there a single link that breaks down the mods.. only get one chance :D It seems you're the go to guy for this. Appreciate any help.

_________________
Rome WR 165 / Phantom 2.0 / TLT5 / Backcountry Skins / Snowpulse RAS 35


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dynafit TLT 5 Mountain, WOW!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:27 pm
Posts: 608
Location: Rainier Beach
provotrout wrote:
TLT5s arrived today. HB setup will be tested tomorrow

:disco: :disco: :disco: :disco: :disco: :disco:

Barrows - I admit to suffering from information overload on the mods, is there a single link that breaks down the mods.. only get one chance :D It seems you're the go to guy for this. Appreciate any help.


Provo, this page has a good photo of the most common, most important mod:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10958&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=52

...filing the forward lean adjuster bar slot upwards to increase the amount of forward flex you get. File a bit, carpet test, repeat as needed. That photo is of last years' model, but the concept is the same.

I like Karkis's suggestion to add a thin bit of rubber on the lip of the filed slot to add dampening, I'm going to try that.

Barrows has also cut down the cuff of his boots and removed the power straps to get more flex but not everyone does this.

Hope this helps...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dynafit TLT 5 Mountain, WOW!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:05 am
Posts: 1515
Location: Colorado
Jefe009 wrote:
provotrout wrote:
TLT5s arrived today. HB setup will be tested tomorrow

:disco: :disco: :disco: :disco: :disco: :disco:

Barrows - I admit to suffering from information overload on the mods, is there a single link that breaks down the mods.. only get one chance :D It seems you're the go to guy for this. Appreciate any help.


Provo, this page has a good photo of the most common, most important mod:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10958&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=52

...filing the forward lean adjuster bar slot upwards to increase the amount of forward flex you get. File a bit, carpet test, repeat as needed. That photo is of last years' model, but the concept is the same.

I like Karkis's suggestion to add a thin bit of rubber on the lip of the filed slot to add dampening, I'm going to try that.

Barrows has also cut down the cuff of his boots and removed the power straps to get more flex but not everyone does this.

Hope this helps...


A couple other things: I ended up moving the attachment point of the instep buckle back toward the heel about 3/4" on the buckle side, this resulted in better heel hold and generally better fit for my feet. I filled the old holes with epoxy. I am also running an Intuition liner, the stock Dynafit liner was OK, but I like the fit and warmth of a custom molded Intuition much better.

_________________
Never Summer Prospector 167X, furberg 173 DIY, Dynafit TLT5/6 Mountain , Phantom Bindings, BD Glidelite Skins
Quiver Killer inserts

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dynafit TLT 5 Mountain, WOW!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 12:17 pm
Posts: 130
Location: Wasangeles
thanks for taking the a few mns to save me an hour of milling aorund :thumbsup:

off to get this done!

edit: O mai gad. This setup is going to take me from slow mfer to kinda slow mfer! Backyard tour test resulted in very high marks.

edit v2: First day out had a good 9 mile/3k tour. The up is so much easier with the TLT5s & radical toe pieces. Night and day difference. Had to boot up a few hundred feet on a mixed snow/rock ridge and the TLTs are a lot easier to kick step and more precise on the rock.

Probably shouldn't have picked a 40 degree chute for my first run in the HB setup but it went fine. I need to make the boots flex more side to side, maybe put some cant in the bindings. Work to do but it's worth it and it's increased my confidence in the mountaineering side of splitting a lot.

Thanks for the advice all.

_________________
Rome WR 165 / Phantom 2.0 / TLT5 / Backcountry Skins / Snowpulse RAS 35


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dynafit TLT 5 Mountain, WOW!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:38 pm
Posts: 326
Location: Fairhaven
provotrout wrote:
I need to make the boots flex more side to side, maybe put some cant in the bindings.


This is where I'm at with my BD Primes too. I don't want to lose the traversing abilities of the hardboots but I want the medial flex of the softboots back.

_________________
I only ski uphill, mostly.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dynafit TLT 5 Mountain, WOW!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:18 pm
Posts: 473
Location: New Castle, Colorado
Quote:
provotrout wrote:
I need to make the boots flex more side to side, maybe put some cant in the bindings.


I use to have an pair of Burton MegaFlex boots that allowed you to dial in the tension just the right amount of side to side flex of the hard boots. Mine were the pink two buckle version. Does some have a pair of these boots to post some pics of what I am talking about? Because Burton Megaflex boot cant adjuster would be a relatively easy mod on to a AT, if you had the Burton boots.

Image

Also Bomber Sidewinders bindings defiantly help with side to side flex. I also get pretty good side to side flex from Burton Race Plates.

Lastly, when first tried l splitboarding with hard boots, I would try to really tighten down the buckles of the boots. Now I try to have a relaxed snug fit and when I need to split-ski I can tighten the power strap and buckles.

_________________
Ride the Pow!
----
Venture Storm R 163 (2010), Dynafit Binding/Sparks Adapter, Scarpa F1 Boots, Bomber Sidewinder Bindings * Prior 172 Fissile (2012) Dynafit Binding/Sparks Adapter


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dynafit TLT 5 Mountain, WOW!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:45 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:17 am
Posts: 41
provotrout wrote:
thanks for taking the a few mns to save me an hour of milling aorund :thumbsup:

off to get this done!

edit: O mai gad. This setup is going to take me from slow mfer to kinda slow mfer! Backyard tour test resulted in very high marks.

edit v2: First day out had a good 9 mile/3k tour. The up is so much easier with the TLT5s & radical toe pieces. Night and day difference. Had to boot up a few hundred feet on a mixed snow/rock ridge and the TLTs are a lot easier to kick step and more precise on the rock.

Probably shouldn't have picked a 40 degree chute for my first run in the HB setup but it went fine. I need to make the boots flex more side to side, maybe put some cant in the bindings. Work to do but it's worth it and it's increased my confidence in the mountaineering side of splitting a lot.

Thanks for the advice all.



Ha! Glad to see you're freeing your mind Matt! :headbang: What bindings did you get? Come by the shop sometime if you want to feel up a pair of Phantoms.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 298 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 23  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: nickstayner and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  





Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group