Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 2012 Black Diamond Outlaw Avalung pack
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:44 pm 

jetlag-

Your ice axe is supposed to go into the lower strap cavity on your new pack. You put the bungee strap thingy around the axe shaft and then tuck the axe blade in the cavity. That's what the bungee is for!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:41 pm 

Yeah I figured that out. I still dont like it as much as loops (or just a loop), specially when bringing 2 axes. The blades dont fit too well in that cavity either doubled up or facing each other. I usually just do them facing each other on separate sides of the cavity and cinch the top board carry strap down since only one side has the bungee fastener. Still not a horrible system, I just dont like it as much as some other packs ive had.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:43 am 

I read an interesting article in Off Piste last week. One of their take home points: No matter what pack you go with don't ditch that beacon. The article mentioned someone who was in a slide, deployed their airbag and it ripped on a tree and the victim was buried. It seems we haven't quite found THE answer yet.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:06 pm 

True dat!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:59 am 

jetlag wrote:
I have this years Outlaw. Its pretty good. I'll save myself the time and post my review of it from BC

BTW ive done some 3 day trips on it. Its got the support of a 60L, just not the volume.

PS. The reason I upgraded from my Covert is the same reason I wouldnt get the 2011, the air intake box is directly over the shoulder which can dig in on heavy loads.

Hi - I know a while after this post - but Im seriously thinking of this pack for SB. But to justify the $$ I was hoping to also use it as a smaller backpack for lightweight 3 day trips during summer, etc.

Does the avalung partially remove from the pack? I understand its integrated (i see the builtin vents,etc) but was hoping I could at least remove the mouthpiece / internal tubes, etc..

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:45 pm 

SoCalMike wrote:
jetlag wrote:
I have this years Outlaw. Its pretty good. I'll save myself the time and post my review of it from BC

BTW ive done some 3 day trips on it. Its got the support of a 60L, just not the volume.

PS. The reason I upgraded from my Covert is the same reason I wouldnt get the 2011, the air intake box is directly over the shoulder which can dig in on heavy loads.

Hi - I know a while after this post - but Im seriously thinking of this pack for SB. But to justify the $$ I was hoping to also use it as a smaller backpack for lightweight 3 day trips during summer, etc.

Does the avalung partially remove from the pack? I understand its integrated (i see the builtin vents,etc) but was hoping I could at least remove the mouthpiece / internal tubes, etc..

Thanks!

I bought this pack on sale at the end of the season last year. I have yet to use it split boarding, but I have used it for summer trips. I also used it on a 4 day Red River Gorge rock climbing trip and it worked great. The avalung is completely integrated and not in the way at all. The mouthpiece is contained in the shoulder strap and stays in a zipped pocket until needed on the mountain. It has the insulation sleeve in the strap as well, so a hydration tube works well with this pack.

I have mine all loaded and ready to go split boarding. It seems to carry the load really well and I like how it is setup. However, I can't really give a review as it hasn't seen a mountain yet.

Jason

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:04 pm 

Thanks for info Jason

Actually I was able to try out my friends Black Diamond Axis pack (he's a climber) to see if I would like the suspension - it was awesome. I packed it with 30+ lbs and went for a 6 hour hike with ~2000' elevation gain. It was amazing how it balanced the load with that suspension. So Im buying 3 packs now - the Mercury 65 for heavy/long bp trips, Axiom 40 for lightweight 3d trips, and the Outlaw Avalung for SB'ing. When I get it, Ill take it locally to Big Bear and try it out snowboarding before I take it splitboarding - but Ill bet it moves smooth while riding.

Ive used Osprey and North Face for years and neither feel as good as the BD does - at least for my torso / hips - I know its diff for everybody.

lol - so much for multi-purposing and saving money...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:17 pm 

I have one with an avalung, I like it, however, I just got a Gregory alpinisto 50 for my birthday, and it is freaking radical. Defiantly a alpine style pack, but I always envied that skiers could use sweet alpine climbing backpacks for touring. (because side compression straps are all that you need to carry normal-width skis) I plan on buying the 35 liter version as I have a pro-deal hookup with Gregory.

Burton Freebird/spark blazes/ burton ruler boots

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:04 pm 

I wonder if the reason for the crusty avy pros preferring bags over beacon is due to the solo riding? Beacon doesn't do much in that case. Or as mentioned when you are riding with folks (kids) who aren't capable of either finding you or digging you out? Again the airbag wins!