Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Why do splitboarders ride such long boards?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:41 am 

Not that weird. I can feel 3cm. Is it sizing up? Probably not, but 6cm is a legit size up depending on conditions. Effective edge, shape, all that stuff factors.
Snurfer wrote:
Let me preface this by again stating that I don't really care what you ride... Follow your bliss.

Here's the question... If you look up, and to the left on your screen (on this forum) there is an orange advertisement; "Visit our online shop"...
On my PC this ad is roughly 3cm square... Using that as gauge, along with the fact that several of you consider "sizing up" to be in the range of 3-6cm, I have to ask, do you really notice this?

Seriously I can't wrap my mind around this :scratch:

Even if you are riding a 27cm wide board, that only amounts to a surface area increase that would run roughly from the bottom of the orange advertisement, to the top of the Splitboard.com banner on the top left of the screen and to the right about 2/3 of the screen.

Based on this visual reference I'm just not seeing how this is sizing up at all. I'm willing to listen to any well thought out reasoning, and of course as with the broader discussion, it doesn't really change any thing it just seems fucking weird. :?

Oh well have fun out there and stay safe....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:17 am 

Screw you guys then. Who knew you were so sensitive about your penis size?

:-D

For those that don't know..I'm joking..but obviously...fail.

I can tell the difference between my 158 solid and 161 split, but they're also different profiles/ IE/ 158 is cambered and 161 is rockers.

FWIW Snurfer, I've often wondered the same thing. In the end, most riders are probably confusing other changes, profile, shape, sidecut, base material, even wax..with the minimal differences 3-6cm of length are creating.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:31 pm 

jbaysurfer wrote:
FWIW Snurfer, I've often wondered the same thing. In the end, most riders are probably confusing other changes, profile, shape, sidecut, base material, even wax..with the minimal differences 3-6cm of length are creating.

+1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:53 pm 

Snurfer wrote:
Here's the question... the fact that several of you consider "sizing up" to be in the range of 3-6cm, I have to ask, do you really notice this?

Based on this visual reference I'm just not seeing how this is sizing up at all. I'm willing to listen to any well thought out reasoning, and of course as with the broader discussion, it doesn't really change any thing it just seems fucking weird. :?

Every board I have is a different shape and setback amount, so that definitely clouds the ability to distinguish between different lengths. That said the only clear length difference I've noticed during riding is between a 155 V rocker solid and a 165 s rocker split.

And to be honest the main reason I've gone from 155-158 to 161-165 is because of recommended lengths based on weight, which I always ignored for resort boards. I figured after riding for 15 years it was time to ride a more weight-appropriate board length :oops:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:13 am 

I think it's probably safe to say that for the majority of folks here, the main goal is to ride pow in the backcountry, and traditionally the advice has always been to size up for better float. Most longer boards are also more damp and stable, an added advantage when you just sent that massive cliff and/or are hauling ass off the apron of a chute and hit buried avy debirs, as previously mentioned here.

But how far you go down the longer is better path, that's up to you. No one length is perfect for everyone. These days there are more options than ever, and the traditional advice may not necessarily apply as much.

Personally I've been riding "average-ly" long boards for a while. I'm 5'11", about 165 w/o gear. My main ride for the past couple seasons has been a Jones Solution 164, and before that a Burton S 62. Never ridden anything shorter than 160, except my park board which is a 154 Twin (hardly sees any use these days). I like the pop and playfulness I get out of the Solution and the Burton, more than the dampness that some other boards have. I remember trying a Venture Divide, and thinking "man this will plow straight through anything"... but on the other hand, it just felt kinda dead to me. So for me, dampness and stability isn't necessarily the #1 priority.

So, I just got a new board. Check it out, it totally rules the bc. This has got to be like at least a 2 foot drop, and I totally stuck the landing!

And here I'm going at least 17 mph (not confirmed by GPS) and totally planing brah!!!

:)

But seriously, you know what's cool about this board?

It's a 148. It's the Burton Spliff, and so far I love it. I'm planning on using it everywhere this season. I was skeptical like I'm sure many folks here are. I thought there was no way it would work in the pow, wouldn't be stable at speed, specs are all wrong, etc etc. In that photo above it's balls deep pow, and it didn't sink at all. I'm using the reference stance width and setback, which is only 1/2". I don't know WTF they did, but somehow that design works. I made a second lap on the exact same run with my S 162, and really didn't notice much difference. I saw a video of Dave Downing where he says that this is basically the only board he rides now, and that when riding it, you have to just not look at the board (i.e. ignore the specs). Now I see why.

It throws a pretty good roost too. :)

So anyway, there are some shorter options these days if you're willing to keep an open mind, and try stuff that might not seem like it should work.

(On that note, I'd love to try a Furberg, and maybe even OMG HARDBOOTS one of these days :))

Reference pic of the boards mentioned:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:27 am 

Talked with a guy on a spliff last week end and he was raving about it.
with all the praise on here I'd love to demo one but at 210# 6' I don't see 148cms
holding me up in 2' of fresh especially at low speed.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:44 am 

Thanks Jbay, your post makes the most sense out of anything that has been offered up thus far (re: a few centimeters).
Jimw, looks like you are having a helluva good time on the spliff :headbang: I'd be totally open to try a demo in the conditions I ride, but until such time remain a skeptic :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:02 am 

Ride whatever size you ride at the resort. There's no reason to "size up" for splitboarding whatsoever except for low angle deep pow days in which you should have a second, pow specific board. I'm 140 lbs and ride a 161 resort and split.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:26 am 

BGnight wrote:
Ride whatever size you ride at the resort. There's no reason to "size up" for splitboarding whatsoever except for low angle deep pow days in which you should have a second, pow specific board. I'm 140 lbs and ride a 161 resort and split.

BG: Perhaps not in California. Here in Colorado, we have very low density snow, and surface area is very important to get adequate float. When touring, we carry what, 25-30 lbs of extra gear compared to resort riding as well. The snow in the resorts here always has a firm base underneath, and snow in the backcountry in California almost always has a firm base underneath as well. In Colorado, we often have snow in the backcountry which will is entirely unsupportive, if you step in it, you sink to your waist, especially in the trees. A flat skin approach through this kind of snow would be hellish on something like the spliff, and when riding, getting across flatter spots before the next drop can be a problem unless one has a board with a fair amount of surface area. There are very good reasons why riders in the Rocky Mountains may be more concerned with float than those in coastal areas are.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:38 am 

I think sizing up 6 cm is somewhat substantial.

Go ride a 150, then a 156 see if you can tell the difference. Then ride a 162 of the same model and see if you can tell the difference from the 56. To me there is a very noticeable difference. I think it's a little less noticeable the bigger you go.

I went from a 61.5 to a 68, for stability at high speeds. My board choice wasn't only based on length, but sidecut, and flex pattern. T

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:21 am 

barrows wrote:
BGnight wrote:

There are very good reasons why riders in the Rocky Mountains may be more concerned with float than those in coastal areas are.

The coast is concerned. 2' dump @31F. Yes, concerned about float.

A story: Me and a buddy skin up into a bowl after a 2' dump. The snow was some weird low density stuff unlike anything I'd seen before. We are both riding 178 swallowtails. Get to the ridge, drop in and..... nothing happens. Boards pointed strait downhill and we had had to skooch to the skin track and ride the track out. This is the kind of thing that sends people down the quiver rabbit hole.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:32 pm 

If it snows 2' at the resort it still only snows 2' in the backcountry too.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:45 pm 

BGnight wrote:
If it snows 2' at the resort it still only snows 2' in the backcountry too.

?????

My point is, apparently, not yet clear. In a maritime coastal snowpack, you get consolidation quite quickly after storms. When it snows two feet in the backcountry in a coastal range, you get two feet of medium density snow, on top of a firm base.
In a continental snowpack like the Rocky Mountains, when it snows two feet in the backcountry, you get two feet of low density snow, on top of a generally un-consolidated base, especially in the trees. Most of the time during winter here, more floatation is needed just for skinning around if one is heading anywhere off of the beaten track. It is different in a ski area here, as the the two feet of fresh fall on a consolidated surface (packed down by skier traffic) even in the trees at the resort.
Of course, these are generalizations, but they hold true most of the time in winter. Spring is a different story, where the conditions here become more like it is in winter in California.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next