Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Keeping up with skiers
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:11 pm 

treetop wrote:
I wouldn't call it shredding, but I can get by.

The first time I tried to ski the split it was a shit show and the guy I was riding with, who could split ski a whole better than myself, was having the time of his life watching me flail. It's definitely something that gets easier each time and I skill I want/need to develop. Also, doing tele-turns is pretty entertaining :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:30 pm 

I have said before that every year I splitboard the more time i spend in ski mode. though that may have leveled out a bit these days. I do have more fun skiing low angle stuff or short shots then snowboarding them for the most part.

a lot of younger snowboarders have never skied, and I think this is a huge disadvantage. most snowboarders in their mid 30's or older have most likely spend some time of skis. I started on skis, both XC and alpine, till my mid teens when it was clear that snowboarding was much more fun. skiing in the early 90's was in a sad state. a couple years ago I spent a few days on the hill skiing , even took my level 1 ski instructor. it helped a lot.

i may not "shred" but some times it feels like i am. does that count. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:43 am 

Agree with taft. I don't "shred" either, but I can link turns up to probably 35degrees when the snow surface is good. I roll with Sparks and softboots and can definitely get my edge in while splitskiing, and know plenty of other softbooters who can as well. Hardboots not mandatory.

Like others have said on here, each time you go out it gets better and just like learning to ride, you'll have little breakthrough moments along the way that are really gratifying. And for those of you who suck now, just remember that the goal isn't to be able to rip a slope like you're on a board... it's an efficient transportation thing. Just keep an open, beginner's mind and you'll have lots of fun.