Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Why do splitboarders ride such long boards?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:16 pm 

So I think after arguing with Barrows a bit, he kind of got me thinking. Not only thinking, but really paying attention to the way my board handled in different conditions.

So I made the leap, traded in the T.Rice 61.5 HP for a rossignal experience 168mw....and I just got back from testing it. From 67mph groomers (gps stats), chopped packed pow, tight trees, crusty moguls, to airing into bottomless pow, and pointing it through couloirs.

The verdict is.....

What a fuckin board!!! Easy to initiate and turn in any of the said conditions, holds an edge extremely well, straight lines are super solid, awesome float, and super stable at high speeds. Pretty much the best snowboard I've ridden. The only knock I would give it, is that it is a bit directional for me and riding switch is more difficult than on a twin obviously, but I don't ride switch that much anymore. And its way harder to butter, being so stiff.

I love this thing and can't wait to go ride it some more, and if they make it a factory split, I'll be standing in line ready for one.

A little background

6'2" 180-185 size 11.5 boots
32 in feb, been riding since the 6th grade. Biggest board I've previously ridden is a 64

Board profiles. Both have magnetraction(which I think is amazing)

T.Rice 161.5 C2btx: rocker between the feet camber at the tip and tail.
Side cut 8.4 Waist width 26 flex 7

Rossignal experience 168 MW Amptek: camber between the feet, rockered nose and tail
Side cut 10.4 Waist width 26.1 flex: 9 in the nose, 10 between the feet, and 11 in the tail.

Maybe I'm getting old, but I have to give Barrows his props. He convinced me, and he was right. I may even go bigger at some point...but I'm not switching to hard boots anytime soon :thumpsup:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:30 pm 

i love longer boards... i m 5 11, size 11.5 and love my 166 burner... i m keen on a 169 odin... nothin like high speed groomer runs (60 + ) on a board that you can trust on edge..

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:33 am 

Saign, so glad this happened. My faith in the the next generation is on it's way to being restored. If this hadn't happened I was gonna say..FUCK IS WRONG WITH KIDS TODAY DONT KNOW LONGER BOARDS MOB SHIT WHY ARE WE EVEN TALKING ABOUT THIS?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:20 am 

156 on resorts and a 159- same exact board DIY split. and LOVE LOVE LOVE It. I think all these crazy shapes are a gimick. im sure some of them float nicely. TO EACH his own. lets all just have fun!
168lbs 5.9"

and I understand barrows theory of planner riding and tip up riding. I've found that for me with my board, pitch is the biggest factor for float. which is obviously because I dont have a door under my feet.. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:32 am 

To each his own.

I'm not going to preach how everyone should ride a longer board now. For me the desire to try something longer came down to one thing, and it wasn't float. It was stability at high speeds through chop.

I noticed on my 61.5 I'd be scared to send a cliff if 30 feet after the landing was choppy for for fear that once I hit the chop all I could do was strait line, and eventually get going too fast in the chop and not be comfortable. With a larger stiffer board I find it more stable and I'm more confident in those situations. That's all

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:07 am 

Yep that's all. 61 and 68 is a good quiver. You are stoked.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:21 am 

thats a damn good time to have some extra confidence! I totally get it, I want to NEED a bigger board, where im at I just havnt found the need yet.... :thatrocks:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:51 am 

What is a "big board" for a 150lb guy? I ride a 159 for a split, and a 156 on resort. I've rode a 161, which was pretty stable, but when it got tracked, a lot of work. I think the 159 is a perfect overall size for freeriding at 90% of the time, so I'm thinking my next go to solid will be the Raptor 159. Considering I ride pow at the resort though most of the time though, what would be a good addition for a big board?

I'm thinking 161-164 would be a "big board" for a guy my size. I'd be between a 160 or 164 Odin and 161 Storm. I'm not opposed to a 170 swallowtail either if I can find one. I'm assuming that thing would be fun!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:19 pm 

Mostly to compensate for their tiny penises.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:15 pm 

little over 6', 195lbs here. Been riding for about 16-17 years now and have always been between 155-161cm in bounds. Bottom line is you need to favor float more in the soft stuff. As long as you keep a board that's wide enough for your feet below you, you can manage. But more length is more speed and less hassle in the deeper stuff.

First time I rode a 165 split in pow it was a great moment.. super nimble board despite the added length (Rome W/R). Lately I've loaned the Rome to a buddy and only ride the Unicorn 161, which has the float and speed of the Rome with easier maneuverability in the tight aspens and pines you see in Big Cottonwood and Millcreek. If all I did was ride LCC and Cardiff it wouldn't be a big difference but the reduced length of the Chimera while maintaining the large spoon-type nose is a perfect blend. It's super fast edge to edge.. if anything I'd like to see the sidecut a little more mellow. For example, riding switch at the resort the edges are grabby and engage very quickly.

I'll probably shift back to a larger board for larger, open lines in the spring like Coalpit and some of the large couloirs. For now the 161 specialty shape is a perfect fit.

Next year the goal is to add a larger Furberg split, though regardless of skill it simply won't be as nimble in the trees as the Chimera. Reduce speed or increase effort to turn.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:56 pm 

I started on a 166 voile and now I ride a 154 unicorn chaser. guess I went the wrong way.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:42 am 

Let me preface this by again stating that I don't really care what you ride... Follow your bliss.

Here's the question... If you look up, and to the left on your screen (on this forum) there is an orange advertisement; "Visit our online shop"...
On my PC this ad is roughly 3cm square... Using that as gauge, along with the fact that several of you consider "sizing up" to be in the range of 3-6cm, I have to ask, do you really notice this?

Seriously I can't wrap my mind around this :scratch:

Even if you are riding a 27cm wide board, that only amounts to a surface area increase that would run roughly from the bottom of the orange advertisement, to the top of the Splitboard.com banner on the top left of the screen and to the right about 2/3 of the screen.

Based on this visual reference I'm just not seeing how this is sizing up at all. I'm willing to listen to any well thought out reasoning, and of course as with the broader discussion, it doesn't really change any thing it just seems fucking weird. :?

Oh well have fun out there and stay safe....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:19 am 

Additionally: A lot of other factors affect float as well. One thing which amazes me about the furberg shape (tapered tip and tail with very mellow contact points and very long radius sidecut) is how it stays floating through turns, even at lower speeds. Most traditional boards, including rockered ones, tend to knife into the snow and sink when tipped on edge. This is explained pretty well at furbergsnowboards.com. The very long and subtle nature of the contact points, and their relationship to the rocker, combined with the long radius sidecut, all contribute to distributing the pressure (which provides the float) along a longer area of the board edge, so that when the board is tipped up, it stays closer to the surface, making it very easy to maneuver, even at slower speeds. It is really fun to ride, with a very wide speed envelope, even in the 173, which really feels like a shorter board most of the time as long as the snow has some penetrable depth.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next