Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: gecko skins
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:54 pm 

Here is what my bases looked like after skinning for about half an hour. Each lap resulted in a similar amount of deposit. The black stuff is all Gecko adhesive tar being left on my p-tex.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:50 am 

Thanks for the info Philip… Can you confirm that these are 2012 skins, and not the new 2013 versions? It is my understanding that Gecko claims the 2013 versions have refined formulation for the silicone surface.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:24 am 

I bought them in early spring of 2012. They are the red-colored plush, 'Race' models. I think those were new for that season and had not been at the dealer very long, but I don't think they were the 2013 skins yet.

I sent an email to Gecko, but I have not heard back.

Here is what the adhesive looks like now. It is not supposed to form gooey strands like this:

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:06 pm 

Yeah, that looks like the problem that Lou Dawson (Wild Snow blogger) described with last year's years Geckos. They claim to have reformulated the silicone side in order to eliminate this problem, but only time will tell if the new ones really are better.
I would expect the US Distributor to be willing to help you out with this problem, unless your skins were purchased through some kind of back channel distribution of something, as this problem seems to be the result of a known and acknowledged defect.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:04 pm 

Philip I had those gooey strands from the beginning on my set of geckos. I bought them also in early spring 2012.

Guys as you can see/read from my posts I am one of the biggest gecko fans, but today it was a VERY VERY BAD day for my geckos...
Over time little chips of the gecko layer stayed on the base or on the opposite half when sticking the skin halves together. I did not give it much attention as I ascribed that to normal wear and the loss of little pieces of gecko layer did not affect the adhesion at all. But today... I don't know what happened today, but a major area of the gecko layer in the area under the bindings in touring mode stayed on the base:

I thought out myself a theory why this happened. Today we skinned practically pure ice and I have also "skied" down with skins on down a longer forest road. It was snow cowered by 1cm hard ice from the meltdown, icy rain and refreezing. I think the heat produced by the friction from skiing down the icy road with skins on made the water/humidity to condensate between the base and the gecko layer. Together with the point pressure (hard surface vs. all weight mostly under the binding area) and then skinning up the hill in freezing temperatures made the gecko layer freeze to the base. Than on the top when I was trying to get the skins off, the frozen gecko layer under the bindings stayed on the base and separated from the skin. This would explain why mostly skiers had problems with geckos. It is common in alpine skiing to ski low angle slopes with the skins on when the terrain changes up and down in a climb, it is less common to do with a splitboard.

But nevertheless after this major loss of the gecko layer on a length of approximately 35cm I was able to do few more laps and the skins sticked to the base as if nothing had happened :shock:

I wrote an email to MP-sports (the inventor of gecko skins) in Austria about this, and have questioned them if a renewal of the gecko layer is possible on the skin, I saw once a video on youtube where one of the gecko dealers was talking about that the gecko layer can be renewed like glue on normal glue skins.

When I get a reply I let you know...
FYI: I had 10-15 tours on the skins.
Well I still love the geckos, they continue to make their job without any major problems and I don't like to watch like my buddy is messing with cheat sheets and glue skins which are fraying on the edges (Contour skins). The quality, glide and grip of the geckos is excellent and we will see what happens with that sticky side of my geckos...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:22 pm 

The second half of the board on the photos is already cleaned up. After second run not much did come off the gecko layer few little pieces... , the last photo is from 3rd run after another icy road hike, where yet another part of the damaged area of the skin came off the skin and stayed on the base. :nononno:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:10 pm 

Can the geckos be rolled or do they have to folded?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:37 pm 

You could certainly roll them if the adhesive were working the way it is supposed to. I would not store them that way, but for laps it would work.

Gecko is supposedly sending me a new set (via my local retail shop). I sent my set back to Gecko USA HQ a few days ago. I'll be curious to see what the new ones are like.

The shop owner asked Gecko if he should send his current inventory back for prophylactic warranty exchange since they were all from the same batch, and Gecko said no, that the red-plush race version of the skins had a low failure rate as far as they knew. He should continue to sell the skins and do exchanges on a case-by-case basis. The US Gecko distributor was basically out of skins due to demand for the next month. Whether this was sales, warranty exchanges, or a combination I do not know.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:40 pm 

My new skins arrived. They are black on the plush and adhesive sides. They feature the new tip and tail systems which are plastic. I am sort of skeptical about this. I personally liked the metal tip bail they had and see the silly plastic tip as a big step backwards, but I will try to keep an open mind.

The old skins shipped at 150cm in length, and the new skins are definitely longer at about 170cm. A new, uncut skin with the plastic backer still on the adhesive (with no tail hardware) is 385g.

Tip, adhesive side:

Tip, plush side:

Tail connection kit. The tail clip is non-adjustable once you pound the rivet home. So stupid. If you are going to mold something out of plastic make it adjustable like the Spark or G3 tail clips.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:32 am 

Philip,

Any other initial impressions? I'm considering picking up the race plush like you had or the newer model like you just received.

Which would you order?

Thanks,
Matt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:39 am 

Phillipak, Those attachements don't look too bad. I agree with the sentiment about the plastic, but only time will tell on that one. Some plastics work very well in cold. As far as the rivet thing preventing adjustability, that is pretty dumb, I would probably make a trip to the hardware store for a simple nut and bolt solution.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:37 am 

Plastic in a lot of locations is obviously fine. The whole Voile puck/heel riser interface and tip hooks work great. These Gecko parts have a somewhat softer, flexy feel that should keep them from being brittle and snapping even in the inevitable situation where you whack it with the edge of the opposite ski. The move away from the old metal bail just seemed unnecessary, and the length of the new pivoting contraption.... say whaaa?

I have no opinion on the difference between the black and red plush skins yet. If you have a really long board (say 168 or longer) then the new length of the black skins would be good. As I have indicated the old tip loop seemed like a better system to me, but those skins came without tail clips (setting my reservations with those aside for now). I have not studied the plush materials enough to know if they are even different other than color. I will say the old skins gripped very well and had a respectable glide. Until I cut the skins to match I won't know if there is a difference in weight. The Gecko US distributor claimed the failure rate in the red race models was low, but you may still have to do a warranty replacement on those in the future and you need to consider how much of a bother that would be. If they sell out and you are without skins for weeks or months, would that bother you? That is not to say the new skins won't puke all over your bases over time, but we'll see...

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:40 am 

I just stumbled across this which I found to be quite instructive:

Now I am intensely curious about what the relationship between Burton and Gecko is. Why would Burton make this video, which is well produced and seemingly solicitous of Gecko?

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next