Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Moving to BC
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:58 pm 

After 2 years whit to warm climate here in Norway ive decided to move to BC :thumpsup: . I want a place whit alot of vert, few people and good snow.
Ive been looking on Kicking horse or Nelson.
Do anyone have suggestions of other rad places?.

Post subject: Re: Moving to BC
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:41 pm 

Kicking Horse has great terrain, and pretty good snow, Rogers Pass is just down the road. All the world class touring , and bottomless powder you can handle.

Revelstoke is on the other side of Rogers Pass. Another really nice small town. Loads of excellent touring

www.adventurelogistics.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:14 pm 

Depends on what kind of town you want or willing to live in as well..

Golden(Kicking Horse) is slightly, to say the least, different than Nelson. :wink: If you are allergic to patchouli like me, you will probably prefer Golden.

For real though, Golden/Revelstoke areaish offers mega touring, and 2 close all time ski hills.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:29 pm 

I'd avoid golden if you don't want to get the shit kicked out of you for being foreign. It's not really a seasonal town. Revel stoke is also very expensive due to a lack of natural gas making electric or oil heating your only options. If you want a nice town I'd move to fernie. Otherwise you might want to stick to the coast.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:31 am 

I doubt a Norwegian by the name of Psycho will be be afraid to get his ass kicked at all. I've met a few, they have this kinda glint in their eyes that sais 'don't bother trying'. Also they are a lot bigger when they are close up. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:20 am 

KGN wrote:
Depends on what kind of town you want or willing to live in as well..

Golden(Kicking Horse) is slightly, to say the least, different than Nelson. :wink: If you are allergic to patchouli like me, you will probably prefer Golden.

For real though, Golden/Revelstoke areaish offers mega touring, and 2 close all time ski hills.

I had to Google patchouli :D

Yeah Golden is really starting to appeal to me.
Its Extremely important that i have touring close bye, have not been near a lift for 2years.

dangraham wrote:
I'd avoid golden if you don't want to get the shit kicked out of you for being foreign. It's not really a seasonal town. Revel stoke is also very expensive due to a lack of natural gas making electric or oil heating your only options. If you want a nice town I'd move to fernie. Otherwise you might want to stick to the coast.

Listen to ieism we norwegian people ar Crazy!! Im a Swede though only live in Norway "higher mountains"

Christoffer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:50 am 

having spent time in both towns - if i was choosing between Golden and Revelstoke, i would take revelstoke every time.

1. deeper, more stable snowpack in the monashees, compared to the purcells
2. more developed back country skiing community
3. easier access to touring options that dont require a snowmobile
4. nicer looking town with better amenities
5. slightly less 'hick'

but golden is closer to a major center, with calgary 3 hrs away. from revelstoke, you have to go west to kamloops, which is only 100 000, as opposed to 1 000 000 .

i personally wouldnt count out nelson just because it smells funny. i think its a great town with top notch touring and snowpack. gets lots of bands coming through, etc.

one place i'm always interested in for its terrain is Terrace. never been there myself, but i like the look of Shames mtn ski area and its surrounding peaks. Definitely would be more 'off the beaten path' , though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:03 pm 

libtechsplit wrote:
having spent time in both towns - if i was choosing between Golden and Revelstoke, i would take revelstoke every time.

2. more developed back country skiing community
3. easier access to touring options that dont require a snowmobile
4. nicer looking town with better amenities
5. slightly less 'hick'

but golden is closer to a major center, with calgary 3 hrs away. from revelstoke, you have to go west to kamloops, which is only 100 000, as opposed to 1 000 000 .

i personally wouldnt count out nelson just because it smells funny. i think its a great town with top notch touring and snowpack. gets lots of bands coming through, etc.

one place i'm always interested in for its terrain is Terrace. never been there myself, but i like the look of Shames mtn ski area and its surrounding peaks. Definitely would be more 'off the beaten path' , though.

hmm.. I did live in Norways biggest skiarea a couple years, prob around same size as revelstoke.
I am worried im gonna get tired of all tourist's, Yeah i know im a foreigner but you know what i mean :wink:
It`s not that cool standing in line for one hour just to buy groceries.

libtechsplit wrote:

Do you mean that its less layers and more stable weather "constant negative Celsius" in the monashees?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:55 pm 

I love Nelson and would definitely choose it over Revelstoke. Love Whitewater, both in-bounds and side country, besides you can roadtrip up to Revelstoke & Rogers Pass.

A lesson I've learned time and again - visit the area before moving there! Kind of like look before you leap kind of thing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:07 pm 

Revelstoke area has a more maritime snowpack, like the coast in some ways. So slightly heavier snow, lots of snow, so the weak layers generally dont hang on as long as drier/interior snowpacks.

If touring is your number 1 priority, then you may want to consider the coast as well. You get lots of snow, less sunny days though, but generally more stable vs the rockies ect. I am not sure if you have considered work as well, that may factor in too. Depending what you do, or if you want to stay long term, some of the interior areas are a tough go. That said it can be done. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:06 am 

snowbatical wrote:
I love Nelson and would definitely choose it over Revelstoke. Love Whitewater, both in-bounds and side country, besides you can roadtrip up to Revelstoke & Rogers Pass.

A lesson I've learned time and again - visit the area before moving there! Kind of like look before you leap kind of thing.

Well i live 9time zones away, it would be a bit expensive to go there and check it out :wink:
Im just gonna choose the place i find most promising and if i dont like it i can just move to the next place.

KGN wrote:
Revelstoke area has a more maritime snowpack, like the coast in some ways. So slightly heavier snow, lots of snow, so the weak layers generally dont hang on as long as drier/interior snowpacks.

If touring is your number 1 priority, then you may want to consider the coast as well. You get lots of snow, less sunny days though, but generally more stable vs the rockies ect. I am not sure if you have considered work as well, that may factor in too. Depending what you do, or if you want to stay long term, some of the interior areas are a tough go. That said it can be done. :thumbsup:

Well i live on the coast now "Lyngen area Norway", my problem is that the weather is to unpredictable. Example: Last night it was DUMPING when i woke up it had raind away, this happens more than often. I want a more secure season than that.
About work, im a bootfitter/ski-board technician and salesman of hi end sports equipment. Im gonna apply for that in bc also if i dont get it i take whatever, who knows i might be awsome at flipping burgers :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:27 pm 

Well, I am sure you will find work then :D

In general, the closer to the coast you get, the more likely you are to get heavier snow, higher freezing levels. That said, its not very common for us to get a dump and then have it rain washed away. Most of the time, the snow is good powder, sometimes heavy, sometimes very dry. In general if your touring in the alpine, you will enjoy good snow from November into April, or longer.

You wont go wrong with any of the places you or others have mentioned, for good ski touring and a good life. Good luck on your choice :guinness:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:26 pm 

Are you still currently in Lyngen? We are considering a trip there in april. How is the season so far? One draw back is that lodging looks really expensive. Any ideas of places for cheaper lodging in tromso or lyngen? Or any contacts for a homestay?
Thanks for any help/advice!

As far as BC - it's amazing!! Skiing around Nelson is great as well as the town. I have heard nothing but good things about the skiing in Revelstoke although I have not skied there myself.

Kristin