Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best Ski Town in Lower 48?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:36 pm 

Without spurring an all out turf war I was hoping to get some folk's feedback on their home towns and mountains. Good fly fishing is definetly an added bonus as well as hiking and camping. Good work and cheap homes are cool too.
Here in Vermont good weather comes and goes. The trails are steep and narrow and the trees are tight if you venture from cut trails. The Green Mountains run the lenght of the state and top out around 4000 feet. The daks in NY top out around 5300 at Mt. Marcy and N.H. at Mt. Washington at 6200. Resorts get raped on holidays. We have the largest per capita micro brew buisness. Icefishing for 20 pound northerns is cool. Steelheads are fun too. Lots of mountain biking, lots of hippies, lots of college kids. People make maple syrup in shacks in the middle of nowhere and invite you to come party. The closer you get to Burlington, the cost of living goes through the freakin' roof. Thank's to anybody that gives some feedback. :thumbsup:

Post subject: Re: Best Ski Town in Lower 48?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:22 pm 

Well, lets see. I've got about 1200' vert of prime riding in my front yard that very few people bother to ride, because within a half hour there is much more, bigger terrain that can never get tracked out and that actually has trailheads. About 20 minutes away are two badass ski areas accessed by one pass, and that don't see much crowds midweek, with several other ski areas within 5-45 minutes. 3-5 hours drive gets you to the big boy mountains with 7000' descents. Summer time, a couple minutes on the bike gets me to the beach, usually towing a paddleboard. Endless options for mountain biking. Ditto for hiking, swimming, and camping. I don't fish anymore, but there's a ridiculous amount of that, too. Lot's of music festivals and stuff like that, too.
There are crowds, but you can learn to navigate them and take their money. Stuff is expensive, but I know a few people that work, ride, and own their own homes, though some people move to Reno to pull this off.
Oh, and the weather. Generally when it's not snowing it's sunny. When we don't have pow, we have corn, but our pow is always cement and not rideable. And in the summer it pretty much stays at 80-85 every day, with maybe 3-4 brief thunderstorms. It's not bad here.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:03 pm 

I thought we already figured this out? Secaucus, NJ.

http://skicampgaw.com/mountain-info/trail-map

Only 38 minutes from town.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:56 am 

Campgaw, treasure of the Ramapos. Why did I ever leave Dirty Jersey?

Lot of hell raising went down there late 80's.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:35 am 

Durango, Colorado sucks ass. Too many people on the skin track, really tiny mountains, the fishing blows, the mountain biking is flat as hell, and the hiking and backpacking is completely not scenic and overcrowded.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:38 pm 

HikeforTurns wrote:

The funny thing is that the hill I worked at in high school has less vertical than that place.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:47 pm 

HikeforTurns wrote:

hahhahaa... sick... i have a contender..

http://www.skicrescent.com/skiing-snowb ... /trail-map

300 feet of vertical and 100% snowmaking.... A W E S O M E !!

don t listen to fustercluck tahoe is overrated.. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:53 pm 

Well… My feeling is that one has to accept that the best places are expensive. But, one can make it work, and people do.
In the lower 48, if I was deciding where to go in order to ride snowboards, there is no question that I would choose Jackson Hole. Best lift served skiing in the US, much better snow quality than anywhere in California or the PNW, fantastic backcountry options, everything from meadow skipping to full on extreme descents in the Tetons. Canada is close enough to make Rogers Pass trips every season. Snow is reliable and relatively deep enough. Far enough north to not be so effected by global warming.
Mountain biking, check
Fishing, some of the best anywhere

But, seriously, if I was looking for the best splitting in North America, I would work hard to find a way to make Canada work… Revy or Golden...

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:33 pm 

i'm from small, flat, farmtown in NW ohio. i've fallen in love with AK, but, since i have to pick a lower 48, i'll go with JH. the small downtown, snake river brewery, and night turns at snow king have my vote.

168W Solution Split
Spark R & D Blaze
Malamutes

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:26 am 

Bozeman

Great riding at JH, but Jackson is unfriendly, has a weird vibe, and is remote. Vacation ok, but life? Forget it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:01 pm 

I heard they don't really get snow in the lower 48 anymore? :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:14 am 

H.R. Flufnstuf wrote:
Great riding at JH, but Jackson is unfriendly, has a weird vibe, and is remote. Vacation ok, but life? Forget it.

I agree. I could live in Victor or Driggs but its pretty damn far to the park at that point. Maybe I'm just a pussy but I get scared of their snow pack too. Most of the gnar avalanche activity I've seen as been on my two visits to Wyoming.

From my small set of experiences, the Tahoe/Eastside combo is hard to beat.Durango too. Never been to Bozeman but hear about and see amazing pictures. Haven't spent much time in the Pacicfic NW either.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:54 am 

Ecobrad wrote:
H.R. Flufnstuf wrote:

I agree. I could live in Victor or Driggs but its pretty damn far to the park at that point. Maybe I'm just a pussy but I get scared of their snow pack too. Most of the gnar avalanche activity I've seen as been on my two visits to Wyoming.

From my small set of experiences, the Tahoe/Eastside combo is hard to beat.Durango too. Never been to Bozeman but hear about and see amazing pictures. Haven't spent much time in the Pacicfic NW either.

I would suggest that if you are not confident in your ability to deal with the avy conditions in the Jackson area, then Durango/Silverton should not even be on your radar. The snowpack in the San Juans, and the rest of Colorado for that matter is the most difficult to assess in all of America. The Jackson area is quite a bit more stable most seasons, due to the more consistent snowfall.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/