Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: K2 introduces the new "Kwicker" splitboard system -
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:43 pm 

Forgive me.....I have more to add... The touring bracket and slider plate look like they will integrate very well, similar to how mr chomps hooks on to my LT pins. Super slick with going pinless. That would be super slick during transitions with gloves on. Which is problably the coolest part to me. Maybe that would be more Benificial on a normal (highback) binding. I like how the slider plate works integrated with the rest of the touring interface.

P.S. I am a part of what y'all assumes is K2's "target market" and both of my "target market" friends and I that have spent/ will spend money on splitboard crap......Well, we think that clickers are for noobies, or oldies.

Burton Freebird/spark blazes/ burton ruler boots

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:29 am 

I still think it's a bummer that the pivot point, especially for larger footed people is so far back in addition to how people already mentioned the lack of rearward cuff flex for touring.

I want to like it but I'll stick with my Scarpa F1s and Dynafit setup for now. I am really excited to hear other people's actual experiences on the system though!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:11 am 

once again this seems to be a lateral move and not a forward move for the progression of splitboard gear. the problem is most companies are not in tune to what splitboarders actually want or at least what most of us want. the reality is touring in snowboard boots is a joke. not having any reward flex(walk mode) is not acceptable. even if a lot of people won't go to hardboots, most can acknowledge that the touring is vastly superior.
in my opinion here are the pros and cons.

pros-
no strap bindings.
seems like a cool system(skins, bindings, boots) and would be a great option for someone that is looking to get their first spliboard setup.
i've toured with a lot of people on clickers and they are always the fastest at transition and don't seem to have any issues. I don't think the clicker interface is the concern here. I am more concerned about the boot just being a normal snowboard boot.

cons-
normal softboot. (sucks for touring, no crampon compatibility, not a great sole, not an improvement for kicking steps)
I don't want any sort of binding on my foot when i'm touring.
I would question that lateral stability of the boot/binding when skinning icy traverses
lack of touring functionality
not releasable

I just fail to see how this is an improvement on anything that is already out on the market :scratch:
if you are just going to make another mediocre softboot set up at least make it releasable. people have only been asking for that for 10 years. good try though.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:36 am 

Quote:
this seems to be a lateral move and not a forward move for the progression of splitboard gear

Sometimes you've got to make a lateral move to make a forward move. I'm sure you done a switchback before. :wink:
not that I'm running out to get a pair, it seems to me that the Edison will solve most of our switch over issues.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:05 pm 

I agree with a lot of what has been said here, this system offers another choice, not a revolution for splitboarding. There is a good chance that I'll have the opportunity to give it a try in the near future since one of my friends is on their team and has a set headed this way.

A couple things to point out, K2 now has a couple more heavyweights on their split gear: Lucas Debari and Kael Martin. Those two have been getting after it this year. Lucas has experience with hardboot splitboard mountaineering in a serious way. Kael is also serious about climbing and riding and hopefully both will have a lot of input into new K2 products along with Kyle Miller.

I see big shortcomings compared to both straps and hardboots with the new Kwicker system. The biggest are the traversing abilities, crampon compatibility, and toe kicking ability. I would love to see a hybrid boot with a hardboot lower with dynafit toes and a softboot upper to retain the classic snowboard feel. The reality of things is that the splitboard market is too small to justify dedicated molds for snowboard specific AT boots. K2 does have a dynafit compatible ski boot in their line up now so maybe there is some hope of seeing a skunk works frankenboot from them.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:37 pm 

Took it out yesterday. Used old boots(backwards compatible).
Marginally functional as it sits. Needs some serious work and a mountain boot not a jibber boot.
BTW, I am not calling a modified AT ski boot a mountain boot. Ski boots are for skiers.
I want a light comfy updated super pipe style snow board boot.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:19 pm 

The super pipe is a terrible snowboard boot. I have experience with them in plate bindings and in straps. They aren't a very good climbing boot either because they are a lot taller than they need to be. They're heavy. The heel is really tall. The rands aren't stiff enough to hold bails on reliably. I double ejected plenty of times and I was a whopping 13 years old and around 100 lbs at the time that I rode in them. I have very little faith that Super Pipes would hold up to much riding for me at this point. There was a better hard/soft boot hybrid out in the early 90s and it was still pretty bad. Either way, splitboarding is not currently a big enough market to have dedicated molds for boots, it's going to have to be something borrowed and modified from AT skiing or cut/sewn.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:18 am 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:50 am 

In relation to this thread, yesterday it was announced that K2 bought BCA!
So im guessing there will be a lot more K2 backcountry products coming out soon.

Also I rode clickers for 12+ years and loved them. Lots of hiking in [Hanging Valley Wall & Highlands Bowl Aspen, CO] and out of bounds. Rarely did i have trouble with snow/ ice build up.
I enjoyed the stiffer boots, which i know was so against the park/pipe rat cool guys snowboarding thing.
And most importantly loved the positive toe heel lock down connection. Also the later models of bindings [Magma] were super damp, and had great adjustability with canting.
For my first 3+ years i used clickers with my split board. Before that I had the K2 clicker approach skis & snowshoes. All good products, with great interface.
I think it is great K2 is finally back after a long absence in pushing the side/ backcountry gear for all of us.

Jones Hovercraft 60
Supermodel 73
Dynafit TLT5 Mtn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:33 pm 

see

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:01 pm 

It's hard to tell how experienced those guys were with splitting in general, or how much of the fumbling was due to lack of familiarity with the K2 components. It did not exactly seem like a ringing endorsement in real-world conditions in any case, but then it was a nice change from the drippingly-positive infomercials we are so often subjected to: "hey, let's interview the board designer and get his take on how awesome his creation is!"

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:06 pm 

I bought K2 Clickers the first year they were made, which was something like 18 years ago. That and my trusty 169 Eldorado. I was too cheap to ever change my gear out for the longest time, but I recall not really loving the click in bindings very much. They were kind of finicky to get into, and were very prone to getting ice jammed into them. I was quite happy when I finally graduated to regular strap bindings and never looked back. I guess they were ok to learn on which was my priority at the time.

As for 2013, it just seems like they are squeezing just a little more juice from a pretty dry lemon by refreshing that old Shimano patented system. While there are some fans for the clicker system, I can't see people really choosing this over Karakorum, or Spark.

It's too bad, K2 is a company with quite a bit of potential, but they don't really seem to be getting it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:33 pm 

Seriously not impressed after watching the video. The pivot point in touring mode seems well under the ball of the foot... Imagine this on a few hours hike...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next