Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dec 30th, Jim Hill Mountain, WA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:16 pm 

Alright, I've finally decided to start writing up some of my TR's. This last year has been a good one for me with snowboard descents of Rainier, Adams, Red Mtn OR, and many other fun, smaller peaks. Sunday was a fun adventure up Jim Hill Mountain, just E of Stevens Pass. The Burgdorfer book suggests a route up toward Lanham Lake and then traversing E to the ridge and up to the top of Jim Hill. When we were leaving the Nordic Center the host told us he'd summited 6 times via Henry Creek and that it's a much easier route then the one we had planned. We foolishly ignored his advice and followed the group of 6 heading up the Lanham Lake route. The route to the lake was very easy and straight forward.

The route from the lake to the ridge? That's a different story. 1300' of steep vertical through big trees. Lots of switch backs, many as short as 15 feet before turning. We traversed right to left up to a saddle that is just left of the picture. The face we were going to ride is on the other side of that ridge.

We headed up the ridge and stopped short of the summit about 200' as we'd hit our turn around time.

This is what we had in front of us. A few tracks down the face but plenty left for us.

Conrad and Konrad, the skier duo I was with, dropped first, making high speed arcing turns through about 6-8" of super light pow. I jumped off a small cornice and rode down quickly to join them. We rode down the normal slide path through the small trees and to the bottom of the natural funnel. The snow was 8" deep of super light, fun pow.

We stayed high to the left until we met the Henry Creek skin track and found HWY 2 again. There were 3 or 4 places to unstrap and one-foot up the skin track, but it was pretty brief. A quick ride up the road and we were done. Great area and can't wait to go back and take the faster approach.

Post subject: Re: Dec 30th, Jim Hill Mountain, WA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:03 am 

Nice! Not too often that Jim takes his head out of the clouds.

Diggin the photo with nason ridge in the background. Did you get any more? Was wondering how the steep creek couloir was looking. I think its just out of your shot to the right towards rock mt.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:24 am 

Here's another pic that shows the henry creek drainage and Rock Mtn a little better. I'm not familiar with the chute you're referring to though.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:42 am 

:bananas: Nice report. If using the logging road, the best place to park is one mile east of the Stevens Nordic center near the train tunnel entrance facility. Great tour with supportable snow. Good light. Hindsight says 2PM was too early to turn around. We should have taken an hour to traverse the bowl, skin to the notch and summit. Gaining the ridge had me feeling lazy. Is this TR gonna make it to TAY?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:18 am 

Thanks.. I think the better view of steep creek i was looking for is from arrowhead.

It's two creeks to the west of schilling creek. More of a straight up and down affair then a tour. Or you can ride it blind by taking the usuall route up rock and dropping from not rock.

I was hoping for a good piccy so I could do the latter. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:47 pm 

Way to go get it!

We rode that a few weeks ago before that last major dump. It looks like you had much better coverage than we did.
The Henry Creek is a much nicer approach.