Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Scarpa Matrix AT boots online for cheap
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:39 am 

So I bought some Scarpa Matrix boots online for cheap. As in $160 shipped. There's a vendor on Ebay with a bunch that was accepting offers, and skiessentials has them for $211 (including shipping) with the constant 15% off deal.

My pair came with intuition liners. I was really just looking for intuition liners for my old Lasers, but ended up finding a better boot, with the liners, for the same/less cost.

Someday I'll get a pair of TLT5s. Until then, for the $$, the Matrix boots are a great option. 3 buckles, light, and flexy. Also I won't be too concerned about cutting them up.

Anyways, if you're on the fence about trying hardboots, this might work for you.

**Dynafit compatible, too** I might take some of the coin I saved and invest in Dynafit toe pieces/spark adapters.

Post subject: Re: New Scarpa Matrix AT boots online for cheap
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:02 am 

Thanks mofoco :lol: i love that moniker, I might get these for my wife... I'm interested as well but$$$$

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:25 pm 

Just last week I was given a once-used and not-yet-fitted pair of Matrix for the compelling price of free.

In my opinion they're not that light and, for my taste (I like way soft), way too stiff. To help soften and lighten them, I'm going to do some pretty aggressive plastic removal... Incrementally of course. I'll start by slitting and shaving the tongue to soften, but there's a lot of useless heavy plastic above and in front of the top buckle that looks like it can go too.

Which makes me wonder.... Has anyone ever just cut the top buckle from these boots entirely?

They feel fine (in fact way better) running with just the bottom two right now. The top buckle seems totally useless. Maybe I'll feel differently as I begin to mod them, but right now it seems like needless weight.

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:57 pm 

Free boots that are like-new? Score!

They're a few years older, but for me they're a big step up from my older Lasers as they actually fit right.

I've done a lot of searching, but only found some references on here of people using, and liking them, but it was a few years back.

Let me know what you end up doing with yours. I've got the forward lean ski/walk bar slot mod at the top of the list.

Would there not be enough lateral support with the top buckle gone? So far I've ridden in them a couple times and had that buckle really loose. They seemed to help a bit for skinning up.

I unscrewed the power straps already.

I'm predicting a great hard boot coming out and dropping in price in the next couple years. Maybe once the next-gen TLT/ONE comes out? These should work until then.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:20 pm 

Cool. Let's use this thread for Matrix mods. I want to see how you do the walk mode bar slot mod.

Regarding lateral support and the top buckle, I assume that when you use the word "lateral" you're talking about side-to-side boot flex, or flex, if you had a 0 degree stance on both feet, from fore to aft linearly along the board.

The problem for me is that I really love lateral flex and especially inward lateral flex (knee-to-knee) as it affords ankle mobility sufficient to roll or twist my feet in the boots a bit. This is particularly true of my back leg, as needed to drive my back knee down and forward and square the hips more in heel turns. In this way, I think my riding style may be far more mobility-dependent than any of the riders I've seen riding modified AT boots--like the video that Barrows posted that's being hotly debated on the talk thread. So, I sort of suspect that my Matrix mods will be pushing the bounds of surf-style compatibility.

In any case, the Matrix will be a stop-gap measure for me too. The splitboard community is due much better boot technology; I expect we'll see that technology emerge in the next few years. Until then, I'll be fine with free boots and dremels.

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split