Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Toronto Splitters and Powlovers
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:30 pm 

Any split/pow enthusiasts out here in Toronto? Suffering my second season away from the deep pow of the Cascades. Would love to have a pint with some peps who know that Blue mountain is not a mountain. :disco:

Post subject: Re: Toronto Splitters and Powlovers
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:34 pm 

Lived in Owen Sound for a few years so i know what your talking about. Anything in Beaver Valley?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:21 am 

Bever Valley.. where is that?

It's tough not having access to steep enough terrain to ride pow in. Been thinking of buying a split but it would get little use here. Perhaps a trip to VT and a trip to the coastal or rockie mtns once a year is all it will see.

I am finding the other downside to being a backcountry rider living in the middle canada is the lack of gear in stores. I am in the market for a new shovel and an air bag pack.. but no one stocks these kind of items (for good reason as they are useless here, lol) so I can't try them out.

One of the reasons I am looking for other backcountry riders here in eastern Ontario is to find buddies to take trips out East to split. I have a buddy in Boston who splits in VT.. but driving down there alone is not too much fun.

Happy pow hunting peeps!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:15 pm 

Get yourself a trapper trout trap, then head up to collingwood and ask the locals about three stage biking trails, there is potential up there for glading and tons of bike trails that would for great and obvious skin tracks with a easy grade. It would be min golf terrain. But if you are stuck around there for long you could do worse. I grew up in collingwood, and if you have to be in Ontario, it's not a bad place to spend your time.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:17 pm 

Dungeon highlands golf course is also on top of the escarpment, and has rideable terrain and cliffs that I rode as a teenager

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:36 pm 

Was just in the Niagara/Hamilton area over the holidays, given enough snow-pack I would think the Escarpment and possibly parts of the Niagara Gorge might make for some good, steep, but short runs. Might not be worth skinning though since you could generally just walk (or maybe hitchhike) up a paved road to get back to the top of many of the potential spots I saw.