Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/split/public_html/talk/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Splitboard.com Forums • View topic - Keeping up with skiers

Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Keeping up with skiers
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:07 am 

Quote:
Be a giver, not a taker. Here's a few (a lot already mentioned): be on time, have food and water, gas in car, have all your gear sorted and ready to go, shovel/dig, break trail, don't ski/board recklessly-if you can't land that air in the resort, don't try it on our tour, be avy savy, have beers/weed for everyone, etc.

Have to totally disgree:
If breaking trail....go as strait up as possible

Always use the words dude & gnar as much as possible - even if it doesn't make sense too.

Ask skiers to carry some of your stuff & while they are putting it in their pack transition and haul ass.

Always take the best line down & don't let skiers go 1st....if its a narrow chute - board slide at least the top 10% if its shallow powder on hardpack.

When you get to the bottom - drink all their beer/alchohol and have at their girlfriends, even if they're ugly

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:34 am 

I agree with you 100% EcoBrad on being a giver but it sounded to me in a later post that boat shredder tours with patrollers or avy pro's?
Avalanche work sometimes requires frequent stops and short traverses etc etc. Hard to believe but sometimes its all work and not just play. Its not trivial when its buisness. You don't want to be that "guy" when the machine comming to pluck you out for the day is $2900 an hour. Trivial crap yes....depends on how bad you want to get invited on the next trip!
Ps ugly girls lewmt? You are a savage!
J

[quote="Ecobrad"]I'd rather be last than comprise my down by not collapsing poles or riding with my skins. We spend 95% of the day climbing. Be fit and semi-skilled on kick turns and shit and you do fine. i like to think we have an advantage with ou wide skins. ive been frowned at by skiers mor than once for making the skin track to steep.

The only time I rush at the top is if the weather is shitty.

Collapsing poles and lashing to my pack-- less that 45 seconds, putting skins in my pack--less than 45 seconds. I've never had a partner that has worried about such a trivial amount of time.

The keys to being a good partner has little to do with your mode of transportation. Be a giver, not a taker. Here's a few (a lot already mentioned): be on time, have food and water, gas in car, have all your gear sorted and ready to go, shovel/dig, break trail, don't ski/board recklessly-if you can't land that air in the resort, don't try it on our tour, be avy savy, have beers/weed for everyone, etc.
[quote="Jamis"][i][

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:08 pm 

It's not about speed, it's about style.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:33 pm 

lewmt wrote:
Quote:
Be a giver, not a taker. Here's a few (a lot already mentioned): be on time, have food and water, gas in car, have all your gear sorted and ready to go, shovel/dig, break trail, don't ski/board recklessly-if you can't land that air in the resort, don't try it on our tour, be avy savy, have beers/weed for everyone, etc.

Have to totally disgree:
If breaking trail....go as strait up as possible

Always use the words dude & gnar as much as possible - even if it doesn't make sense too.

Ask skiers to carry some of your stuff & while they are putting it in their pack transition and haul ass.

Always take the best line down & don't let skiers go 1st....if its a narrow chute - board slide at least the top 10% if its shallow powder on hardpack.

When you get to the bottom - drink all their beer/alchohol and have at their girlfriends, even if they're ugly

I like this guy, we'd get along great!!!;)

Prior SwallowTail
Jones Hovercraft
Chimera Sceptre
W/Spark R&D Bindings, Spark R&D Skins
Twitter/Instagram: @theScottBikeman
http://adrianmontgomery.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:10 am 

this thread kicks ass. Thanks everybody for the awesome words of wisdom.

There have been a few misunderstandings though. My crew is not mad about the wait time. They are super lax. I just have this idea that I want to lessen that gap between the slight disadvantages snowboarders have, that is all. Based on other peoples replies, snowboarders are just as capable as skiers in the BC. Its cool to see a bunch of folks out here figurin it out. Things I'm going to do are:

Skins in the jacket
not fully collapse poles
be more fit
show them how to shred pow ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:54 pm 

Fit is a big one. If you can out climb them, you can have all the time you want to transition.

When I want fast transitions I make sure that I am set up to not take my pack off. Skins in jacket, poles in hand, and my hardboot bindings attached to the front of my pack.

Often, when lapping in the winter, I use super light one piece carbon poles for the up. The low swing weight is really nice.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:57 pm 

Ride with less reckless skiers?

I've never been in a situation where it's been a problem - are there actually people out there who when they get to the top, race to convert and drop as fast as they can without stopping to eat, relax, catch their breath, enjoy the scenery, and assess the conditions/snowpack?

Also if you find yourself taking forever, get Gecko skins. Dealing with the skins seems to take longer than the rest of the conversion, and the Gecko's more or less make that go away.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:09 am 

Tell ya what... I really could give 2 craps about keeping up with a skiier, or a splitter for that matter that is so hell bent out of shape to be so fast that being out with them is a constant race...eff that bullshit. To me.. that reminds me of the douche ass skiiers that were in my group up at SME. I wouldn't piss on their head if it was on fire, more or less want to tour with them... but, they were fast on the skin up, and in the cross over.

My kinda of touring peeps are interior B.C.'ers/Cascadians... they skin fast, but up at the top.. take their time.. have a snack..burn some ganj'..reflect on lines, and how great of a day it is. We are all such creatures of locking ourselves into "time" vs. just enjoying the moment, and reflecting on how lucky we are to be in such a great place, with such good people. I could give 2 shits less with keeping up with a speed test. To me touring people in a rush on the up and crossover are the same as that mindless person walking through life w/o paying attention to life.

And, I'm sending that effin air...cuz, powder landings are not the same as kicker landings. :thatrocks:

-Luther Standing Bear,

http://splitrippin.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:39 am 

Ways I deal with elitist skiers in the backcountry:
    Sedatives
    Riding breakable crust
    Riding 18" spring slush
    Carrying enough snacks to share when I'm the slowest one
    Wide skins climb better
    Have a hotter girlfriend
    Make the switch to HB (I bought K'rams a year ago and experimented with HB's the last 4 days and I'm hooked)
    Switch pow turns
    Fill their dynafiddles with ice and wait for swearing to start
    Learn how to do good methods (nothing a skier does will ever look as good)
    Avoid skimo or stick with a group that are splitmo sympathizers

Riding breakable crust alone should put any skier in their place when they are out with a snowboarder. Don't ever believe that snowboarding is inferior to skiing in the mountains, it's just a different tool. When I first started snowboarding there was a big rivalry between skiers and snowboarders and the longer that I'm at it the less important it is.

Just in case you need to remind your skier buddies about why snowboarding is better...
Skiing was originally a way to get around in the snow, a lowly and efficient form of transportation. Somebody thought that it was enough of a thrill to turn it into recreation. Snowboarding was never hindered by being a form of transportation, from the very beginning there was no other purpose to it than for fun. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:55 pm 

there is a lot of dick swinging in this thread about being fit and being the first to the top. ignore that shit. fitness is essential, but at a certain point its all genetics. some folks are going to be fast and some not so fast. besides a lot of time your keeping the group together, cause your a group and all.

dial in your transitions, have a system and do the same thing in the same order, every time. you wont be faster the a fast skier at this, but you can easily be faster them most.

learn to ski your split. not just pizza down a slope but shred it in two plank, trees, mank, crud, the works.

those two thing are the equalizer.

:twocents:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:03 pm 

Interesting thread. Only been splitting 2yrs. Often head out pre-dawn splitting with the local ski-patrol crew before they have to be at work - so there's always an inherent time-crunch. I can keep up with them on everything except for transitions, and they always try to assure me "it's cool" about my needing extra time. But I've found that I don't really enjoy those outings nearly as much because I know I have to rush everything so they can get back to work in time. Feeling that kind of goes against the whole reason I'm out there.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:53 pm 

Eat better snacks ... drink less booze and more water. Wake up early enough to poop before you tour.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:15 pm 

pooping is critical

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next