Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/split/public_html/talk/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Splitboard.com Forums • View topic - 1-2-06 Tahoe

Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1-2-06 Tahoe
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:39 am 

Anyone getting out?

Post subject: Re: 1-2-06 Tahoe
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:15 pm 

bcrider wrote:
Anyone getting out?

I am planning on it but not sure where yet. It's coming down really hard at the lake right now, if it keeps up like this even for just a couple more hours tomorrow should be alot of fun. Weather forecast makes it sound like we are in for a good one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:52 pm 

If the rain that is currently falling turns to snow I might hit up powderhouse/waterhouse in the AM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:17 pm 

Joe, Toby and I are planning something for tomorrow. Doubled Waterhouse today with the boys and had some great wind packed turns :D . Even on Waterhouse we noticed wind slab formation. It is a pretty safe bet that there will be big wind slab action on anything wide open. Snotel data reported 158 mph winds at Leavitt Lake overnight and I heard Squaw reported 150 +. Heavy wind loading happening on NE facing slopes.

If nothing else is possible tomorrow we'll hit Powderhouse or Waterhouse Proper tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:31 pm 

probably see you cats there.... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:25 pm 

could you guys give me the details on how to get to this area? I keep hearing about it and have a general idea but I was wondering if anyone could give me specific directions.

It's changed from rain to snow here at my place in incline, weather forecast is saying the snow level will drop low enough for reno to get a couple of inches of snow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:44 pm 

dfinn,

Powderhouse/waterhouse is right near Luther Pass on hwy 89. If you are coming from meyers, its on the right hand side of the road (look for open meadow and cars parked). If you've gone over Luther Pass you've gone too far. Hope to see you there sometime. :)

Post subject: DEEP
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:55 am 

Pics from 1-2-06

The cold temps finally came to the Sierra and mixed with lingering precip to create some great powder conditions. Holy Nukage was it deep today!

With the steep and wide-open slopes off limits due to the inconsistent snow levels and high winds it was back to powderhouse for some classic Tahoe tree runs.

I pulled into the trailhead at a reasonable 8am to see these guys (gimpy, joesnow, & buddy) approaching the road after yet another dawn patrol session. Studs.

After a quick hello they reported the conditions to be the best of the year. Stoked! They had some lift skiing on the menu as well and took off with huge friggin' grins.

While getting ready Sherpa 1 showed up thinking the same thing I was…POW. :mrgreen:

We hit the skintrack and once again where stoked to find the DPers broke an excellent trail. Thanks yo!

Pretty soon it was time to drop.

Sherpa 1

My turn.

At the bottom we just had to go back for more. :)
The skintrack had a few fresh inches on it and it was really nuking at this point. We estimated at least of foot of fresh fell in four hours or so. It was the light, sierra pow that we all know and love, so good. You had to be careful not to choke on the shit. At one point on the uptrack I got lost in the moment, it was so still and quiet…all I could hear was the snow hitting my shell. It was rad.

Today's conditions reminded me of a trip I took to Revelstoke BC back in the day. We had heaps of snow while we where there and did a lot tree runs like this due to high avy conditions. Good memories.

Back in Meyers I was greeted with stand-still traffic headed westbound. Luckily after 10 mins we started rolling again.

Heading up Echo Summit behind the holiday crowd.

My kids have been asking me to bring home some snow for a snowball fight so I hooked ‘em up and we had a good one. :)

Another great day in the mountains…if I can only make it to the weekend for more. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:38 am 

POOOOOOWWWWWDERRRRRRR! Way to get after it. Looks like the knee is holding up well. Daisy will love the last pict.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:24 am 

nice BCR thanks for the stoke. it's about time....

hoping to get out for the day friday, if the workgods play nice.

go git it :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:31 pm 

Woah, so sick. I had a similar day around the west shore a few years ago, on January 2 as well. Only in the Sierras... BTW, best trip report of the season!

I'll be in Truckee in mid/late February. Anyone know of some good spots? Of course I know Donner pass. Also, my buddy needs a split, do any shops rent splits? I'm thinking The Backcountry should.

And if anyone wants to hook up let me know.

Peace out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:07 pm 

The backcountry does rent them, at least that's what their site says.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:16 pm 

Way to go BCR :D :D :D ! Nice meeting you there yesterday, glad you could come up for some knee therapy.

Great Pic's

Jim