Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: acceptable quality of alignment?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:41 pm 

First off happy holidays.

I just got my hands on my brand new Venture board, and am a tad disappointed with how the 2 halves line up in ride mode. The center lines up nice and tight like they should, but the tail centerline edge is nearly 2mm longer on one half of the split. A minor amount of difference (but not so much that I couldn't still run my fingers all the way around the outer edge) and I would completely ignore it, but this seems like a little much for a brand new board.

I know this *shouldn't* affect the riding as it is off the snow, but is this a QC/build issue that should've been identified? Or am I being too picky with my first manufactured split? I've sent some pics to the online retailer it came from and venture.

thanks

Post subject: Re: acceptable quality of alignment?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:34 am 

Attention to detail goes out the window when you making a ton on money! I would send it back and demand an new one, but good luck with that.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:15 am 

Are you checking alignment with the bindings on or off? Often, at least with the Voile pucks, you set everything up with the alignment guides and then slide the plates/bindings on and that misaligns the board halves a little bit.

If this is just with Chinese hooks and tip/tail hooks put together I would be disappointed since Venture's quality truly is top notch. Contact them, nicely, with the photos and see what they say. I have a Storm 166/26 and my wife has a Zeyphr 159/25 from last year and they aligned literally perfectly.

I have fiddled some to fix this on my non-Venture splits but often to get the stance I want I can't make the halves align perfectly. But of course I don't care that much and will only work so hard to get it "perfect" as I know this doesn't affect the ride too much. That said if the alignment is off by this much or more I have had the tip and tail hook rattle off while riding in bounds chop on an old Voile Mojo with hard boots.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:02 am 

Venture has pretty amazing quality, I would email them this and see what they say. They are very responsive and could give you a good idea.

Also, did you swap out the Chinese hooks for Karakorum clips? I found with my old Venture split with the Karakorum clips it shifted the center and did this. Voile it was spot on.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:30 am 

These guys are not a big operation, all the boards i've seen are top notch. Check your pucks and then maybe consider sending it back. This type of thing really has no effect on the ride by the way...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:13 am 

Snowman1 wrote:
Attention to detail goes out the window when you making a ton on money! I would send it back and demand an new one, but good luck with that.

Did I miss something? Are Venture known for poor customer service or cutting corners? :scratch:

The Venture I have is absolutely pristine. I don't think I could slip a piece of paper between the boards along the length of the split it lines up so perfectly.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:15 am 

You guys need to get out more and stop worrying about 2mm.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:09 pm 

shredgnar wrote:
You guys need to get out more and stop worrying about 2mm.

ermahgard yes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:22 pm 

The tail is the only side that doesn't line up, the nose is just about perfect. And the alignment pics are without pucks/bindings attached, just the split hooks and chinese hooks on. thanks for the responses.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:45 pm 

summersgone wrote:
Also, did you swap out the Chinese hooks for Karakorum clips? I found with my old Venture split with the Karakorum clips it shifted the center and did this. Voile it was spot on.

My Zephyr does the same. I need to use my pucks to get the halves to align with K clips while everything was straight and even with my old Chinese hooks.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:57 pm 

philip.ak wrote:
summersgone wrote:

My Zephyr does the same. I need to use my pucks to get the halves to align with K clips while everything was straight and even with my old Chinese hooks.

meaning... you offset your pucks to make the halves line up correctly? are both your halves offset by the same amount, or is their only offset in 1 of the ends?

cheers

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:10 pm 

The two halves are perfectly symmetrical, and it is possible to line them up correctly. They shipped correctly aligned with the stock Voile Chinese hooks. When I switched to the K clips I had to start paying very close attention to my puck position, because they could pull the board halves out of alignment. Chinese hooks give the two halves a fixed relationship when the hooks are fully nested. The K clips will let the board halves slide relative to each other a few mm. The alignment is dependent on the pucks.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:00 pm 

philip.ak wrote:
The two halves are perfectly symmetrical, and it is possible to line them up correctly. They shipped correctly aligned with the stock Voile Chinese hooks. When I switched to the K clips I had to start paying very close attention to my puck position, because they could pull the board halves out of alignment. Chinese hooks give the two halves a fixed relationship when the hooks are fully nested. The K clips will let the board halves slide relative to each other a few mm. The alignment is dependent on the pucks.

i got it now. The pics I posted are only one end of the board w/the voile hooks, no pucks or bindings and since only one end is off like that the halves aren't totally symmetrical.