Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: What are the ways to have an endless winter, and enjoy life?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:40 am 

+1
chrishami wrote:
I wasn't trying to say, "get a job with a 401k, get married, shop at WalMart, eat shitty food, retire at 65..." like the intro from Trainspotting or something. My point was more like what I wanted at 19 is not what I want at 39, and that life is good.
As others have said, liking what you do for a living is key. To me savings and insurance aren't about safety nets but about being responsible to my family, I will not burden them if i can avoid it. Everyone gets sick and everyone dies.
I try to work hard, play hard, do the next right thing. I got to ride with my wife and kids over 20 days last season, that was a good winter. This one is starting to shape up pretty nicely too...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:32 pm 

Figure out what makes you happy, make some goals and don't take no as an answer.

Ski bumming is a cheap and dirty job with numerous sacrafices but definitely has some benefits.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:07 pm 

Kyle Miller wrote:
Figure out what makes you happy, make some goals and don't take no as an answer.

Great take. Everyone has there own perception of happiness and they should pursue it at all costs. Because what is existence without love...

For me being a seasonal Forest Service fire fighter on a hand crew... getting paid to hike/camp in the mountains all summer and collect unemployment in the winter is ideal for my situation.

But I would like to support the splitrippin view on the permaculture aspect of living. It is my intention to pursue "off the grid". Now I just need some damn land...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:48 am 

Eco_Meng....You got chickens, grow your own food, have a family, and live in the mountains... well shit vato. Sounds pretty bomb-tastic to me.

Coming from MN, and not being anywhere near mountains(12hrs drive at minimum) It works better for me to take large chunks of time off, and throw in long weekends to rip with HFT, or Bonez. When I get after it... I can get about 30-40ish days in. This year maybe 50 days :doobie: I'm pretty lucky in that I work for the Federal Gov doing Network Engineering. I have 401k, life insurance..blah blah blah. I fell into the trap for a couple years, but immediately noticed it. For me it took a few years to get life goals back on track. I tell you one thing... only having a couple weeks of leave that 1st govy year was effing depressing :(

My point being: I'll most likely never live by the mountains..I was born in raised in MN. I love it here, I'm by the BWCA, Dual Sport trails, rustic permaculture lab/cabin overlooking the BWCA, play in a cover band with my wife http://www.facebook.com/thecrazy8s, play in an original band with the best musician friends ever...I could go on and on.

My situation works for me..Just like Eco_Ripper works for him,HFT, Bonez, TEX, Kyle(gaw dam dirty bums :thatrocks: ), and Ale_Kaput :thumpsup: situations work them and their pursuits. I'm just honored to consider these guys friends, even though a few I haven't shredded with yet.

If you really want to see what life long dedication to the pursuit of turns takes...well..I'm headed here for 5wks. I've know this guy for 20 years, and it's taken him this long to get his dream.
http://www.backyardaustria.com

Eyes on the prize....OOOOOOOOOOOOLAY! :drinks:

-Luther Standing Bear,

http://splitrippin.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:07 am 

SPLITRIPPIN wrote:

If you really want to see what life long dedication to the pursuit of turns takes...well..I'm headed here for 5wks. I've know this guy for 20 years, and it's taken him this long to get his dream.
http://www.backyardaustria.com

Eyes on the prize....OOOOOOOOOOOOLAY! :drinks:

Add 1 item to my hit lit. So I guess the point is we are all different yet we are all the same: love for the mountains and powder fever. I've met some of yall out there, i hope to meet and ride with many others in the future. :thatrocks: Group hug?

Wife and I did powder laps in the trees at Wolf Creek all morning yesterday. Taking a day off then heading back out with the kids tomorrow. Goddamn it's a good life.

PS: My wife grows some badass heirloom arugula, chard, and other greens, adding tomatoes to the mix this year. Not quite ready for chickens yet but thats on the radar.