Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/split/public_html/talk/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Splitboard.com Forums • View topic - NH/ME region this winter

Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: NH/ME region this winter
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:48 am 

What's up. A buddy and I are thinking about skinning the sherbie on New Year's Day. Gonna try to get in the bowl and do some Avy training. Looks like its gonna stay cold and some snow is coming. Who ever is down we start early. I ll keep an eye on conditions and weather.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:18 am 

What up all? Went to Pinkham yesterday and rode the Sherbie. I was able to skin the Tuckerman Ravine Trail from the trailhead. There really wasn't much of a well defined skin track, mostly just a boot pack. Down low the boot pack is all icy w/frozen footprints, not ideal. I tried to stick to the sides of the trail where it looked like someone had at least attempted to put in a skin track. As I went higher up the boot pack went down to one lane so I could skin on the sides without too much trouble. There was some ice to deal with but it was manageable. Best skinning was the top third by far, no ice and a pretty well defined skin track.

As for snow conditions, there was a good amount of snow on the ground, especially higher up. But there was a thin rain crust on the top. It was maybe 1/3 to 1/4 inch thick with a dusting of new snow on top. Rain crust was easily breakable though both skinning and riding. Tucks was socked in when I got to HoJos so I can't report on what lines are filling in in the bowl.

The Sherbie was an interesting ride to say the least. The good news is that there was more snow then I thought there would be and coverage was good across the entire trail. However the forest service has been using it to snowmobile up to Tucks so the whole ride down was on a frozen sled track. I get why their doing it though, the rain crust is all broken in and they've managed to lay a super solid base, no exposed rocks, trees or water bars for a majority of the trail. I didn't tag anything on the ride down. Best turns of the day were where the trail opened up and I could get off the snowmobile track. The rain crust broke easily and soft snow was found underneath. The last two streams/water bars at the bottom were open. I had enough speed to ollie over the first one, but unstrapped and jumped over the last one. Sherbie was definitely survival riding for most of the way, kinda like trying to snowboard on a bobsled track. The base is super solid now though so one more good storm, 6+ inches I think, and the thing should be money. Saw three skiers, one in the parking lot while I was geering up and two skinning up when I was about 2/3 way down. Other then that not a soul, so despite the poor riding conditions it was still a nice day out.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:59 am 

I don't think you are supposed to skin up tuckerman ravine trail. You have to skin the sherbie. Thanks for the report though. We should be getting some snow this week so it should be good by New Years.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:18 pm 

Murphy wrote:
I don't think you are supposed to skin up tuckerman ravine trail. You have to skin the sherbie.

This is not posted. No AMC employee will bother you and i doubt you'd even come across a USFS employee. I have never seen anyone skin the Sherbie.

The trails are yours to use as you wish and care for as a whole.

http://www.thegreatbenandhannah.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:03 pm 

It's unwritten trail ediquett. Everyone in the valley knows that.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:05 pm 

Everyone skins the sherbie! Been in the whites a long time.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:01 pm 

The only person that it would negatively effect is the Skinner. That tuck trail gets wicked icy and honestly booting up would be faster than trying to skin it. But a skin track up that on a powder day would be a highway. Murphy, your... How do you say it? :banghead: A picture is worth a thousand words.

Seriously though, why would you lay a skin track down your run when avy danger is pretty much always negligible. That's not a slide path and you have to deal with two way traffic at high speeds, on the tucks trail its so much more mellow and no switchbacks whatsoever.

Look I'll change my ways if you can convince me, but I'm not gonna work harder to ruin my descent just because of etiquette. If anything that's ass backwards!

Lets here from the rest of you, so Murphy and I don't throw down at three o'clock at the Pinkham flagpole.

http://www.thegreatbenandhannah.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:49 am 

Go ahead and ask everyone else! You just stick to one side on the sherbie. Where are you from anyway?
Have a great holiday and we ll all see you skinning the sherbie !

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:56 am 

Im down for new years day. I'll be in conway from dec 31-jan 2. doing some avy rescue practice on the beach today.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:25 am 

Yeah, not sure on a time yet. But it is happening!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:39 am 

Haha didn't realize that TRT vs Sherbie would be such a hot button issue! For whatever it's worth I get most of my information from David Goodman's book and he always mentions taking the TRT up to the ravine floor. I think his descriptions are geared more for the spring crowd who usually hike in anyway so that could have something to do with it. The advantage I see to it is that it has a consistent pitch the whole way up so you can get into a nice rhythm. I'll have to give the Sherbie a try next time though, see what the fuss is about :D

Anyway looks like a nice storm is on the horizon, hope everybody is able to take advantage.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:23 pm 

Great pow laps today! 12+ on the aforementioned Sherbie! Hope everyone had a chance to get out. For my :twocents: here is the official explanation on uphill traffic from the Forest Circus.

"The trail is not built for foot traffic, regardless of the season, so please do not walk or snowshoe up or down the trail. Skinning up the trail is permitted, however, be mindful that skiers and snowboarders may be coming down the trail and not expecting to see you. Stay well off to the side if you are skinning up the trail."

That being said I skin up both almost daily and never had any problems. When its lean the Sherbie is great to skin up but once the Tucks trail is "in" why not do your part for powder preservation.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:26 pm 

thank you for the clarity. i guess we are both correct.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next