Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: jones 12/13 build quality- anyone seen the goods?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:32 pm 

wasatch surf wrote:
and at this point I would say yeah it is more than any other mfg.

Well you have no facts to back that up, but hey everybody has an opinion

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:56 pm 

PedroDelfuego wrote:
I Like JJ, and hope they continue to support this forum. Anybody with a QC issue should call Jones and I bet they would take good care of you. They will want to know about any QC issue also.

If you buy a board inspect it first. God knows nobody at REI has ever actually splitboarded. Support your local shop, buy your gear from them and they may stock more splitty gear next year.

I have nothing against JJ, I think he's the man, but he is not the one making the boards. I am hoping I actually get the chance to meet him in person in a couple weeks. I think QC should be done at the factory before they are sent out however. That's not REI's job.. I believe Maxpower is being taken care of by them no questions asked. I have heard the customer service has been real good at Jones and REI for that matter. I've had lots of boards and have never checked to see if my inserts have been threaded before I walk out the door, have you? Never even heard of that happening before.

wjb wrote:
I think maybe some of this gets blown out of proportion. Are there issues? Some. Is it any more than any other manufacturer? Who knows. Is it fair to compare a start up to an established company? Probably not. I have only had one issue and it was handled very quickly and to my satisfaction. Is everybody's board delamming? Obviously not otherwise it would be all over the forums. So claiming they are not safe is a bit of a stretch. Complaining about graphics being not centered by an 1/8 of an inch is a non issue. Please keep things in perspective.

I am not comparing their company to anyone. Have you read the thread title?

Actually the shop guy at wave rave said his solution delammed in the same spot, but that's not everybody, just discussing what I've seen.. MP's board was 1/2" off when put together. Could care less about the graphics lining up, but to me if the 2 halves don't line up and the end clips cant close completely then that board would be un safe in my opinion. As you said everyone has an opinion. I didn't mean that all the boards are un safe, sorry for that confusion that's my bad. Just feel bad for MP b/c he waited 6 weeks for the first board then had a 2nd one that had defects also and the Eastern Sierra has been going off for a while now and he still hasn't got his money back or a new board. Hopefully that changed today..

Hope others have better luck then he. Maybe it was just bad karma... lol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:35 am 

I know from a very reliable source that Jones Snowboards moved its production last April from Tunisia to the GST factory in Austria, in search of improving these minor issues and offer a better product to its costumers.

http://www.splitboardmag.com
http://www.facebook.com/splitboardmag1
https://twitter.com/splitboardmag
http://instagram.com/splitboardmag

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:22 am 

wasatch surf wrote:
wjb wrote:
anyone remember the prior shit storm mid 2000's just because of some bad customer service experiences?

I do remember that. They pulled their shit together though. Good for them. I'll always have a special place in my heart for Never Summer/Blaho Bros, Voile, and Prior for sticking with our sport for so long! They all attended the Tahoe splitfest in 200? too. Every model of splitboard produced was represented plus a couple protos.

So many new grassroot companies doing there thing now too. It will be interesting to see how this explosion in split manufacturers plays out.

I know one thing, I want no part of quality issues. Them having your money and you having no board is an awful spot to be in. I know because I was there after I placed my order for a Solution 168 that never arrived. Thank goodness I cut my losses and canceled my order after the third delay. I can only imagine the level of frustration if it did arrive flawed. :banghead:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:14 pm 

wjb wrote:
wasatch surf wrote:
and at this point I would say yeah it is more than any other mfg.

Well you have no facts to back that up, but hey everybody has an opinion

i've worked in the ski/snowboard industry for 5+ years so I have a pretty good idea as to what splitboards are having issues and what companies are making it happen and which ones aren't. Thanks for asking.

also one thing people struggle with is you can attack someone's product with out attacking the person. plus it's not like jeremy jones is back there in the shop hand making these anyway. when people pay $1000 for a board and there is anything at all wrong with it they have the right to bitch about it. It is 2012 almost 2013 these are snowboards not rocket ships there is not excuse for error. it is your right as a consumer to complain for poor quality and it is necessary.

anyway my point with the prior thing is that it really hurt them as a company and they had to work twice as hard to get back up and they did and came back stronger. we will see if jones can do that. after three years it doesn't seem like they have really made a great comeback after debuting the lowest quality production splitboards I have ever seen.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:47 pm 

I have to agree with wasatch surf here. Customers are paying for a premium product here, the standard set by Venture is very high, and everyone making $900 to $1000+ splitboards should be striving hard to reach that level of consistent quality. Customers should expect a finely crafted, premium product at these levels.
I really wish Jones Snowboards the best, and I hope that they get these growing pains under control. Perhaps it will be necessary for them to commit to building a manufacturing facility of their own to really get the consistent level of quality that is worthy of the Jones name.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:02 pm 

wasatch surf wrote:
anyway my point with the prior thing is that it really hurt them as a company and they had to work twice as hard to get back up and they did and came back stronger. we will see if jones can do that. after three years it doesn't seem like they have really made a great comeback after debuting the lowest quality production splitboards I have ever seen.

I would argue that Jones is coming on stronger than ever and gaining more market share than ever, quality control be damned! It doesn't seem to matter that they have QC issues, as their marketing (or the industry types behind them) are doing a great job at marketing product and getting it in front of people and on shelves (and websites). Jones is at most all the big suppliers--Backcountry, REI, EMS, etc. because they have the ability to market and produce higher volumes of recognizable product and have the Jones name to sell said product. From everything I hear, the shapes are great, but there is such a thing as marketing taking over momentum and you don't have to have the best product to "win".

The question will be just how bad are the defects and are they enough that a company like REI or Backcountry would say it's not worth carrying them because of returns and defects. I think that the marketing machine and brand momentum that is Jeremy Jones is a greater force than a lot of quality issues (not to me, but to the the financial outlook and big picture). This sport is growing rapidly, and Jones has the brand recognition that will drive it to remain a big player for a long time. Hopefully, the quality will be a priority and they can put out an awesome product that is first class and continue to push the sport. Jones definitely is pushing the sport in the media realm, and I'm buying that and a big fan of the films. I'm big into gear and into finding quality, but most people just starting out don't know where to look and may not find out that they have quality issues until they've already bought their Solution and Hovercraft.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:41 am 

The only thing that I can say is that probably because of the fame JJ has, his brand is selling very well over here in Germany. Couldn´t get a Solution 164 anymore because it was sold out at the importer. Splitboarding is a hype this season and people are stoked by the Deeper and Further movies and the first brand that comes to their mind is Jones.
Personally, I relied on the judgement of a guy that´s been splitboarding since day one. I trusted in a brand that has years of experience in the field and bought a Prior BC...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:15 pm 

Jones is proof positive that you don't always get what you pay for.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:30 am 

Saw my buddies new carbon solution yesterday. Sickest/sexiest split I've ever laid my hands or eyes on.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:14 pm 

So I returned the first Carbon Solution with the hole issue for the Karakoram hooks and ordered a second one from backcountry.com to see if I could get one that was built properly. I got it yesterday and it looks like everything is a ok. It is a very nice sexy board and at first use the construction looks good and it is sexy. Will see how it holds up this year. The first board should never have made it out of QA, there was no excuse for that. It was almost like the person that put it together thought they could get away with putting the holes in the wrong place. That said I like the rest of the board construction. But whoever is building the Jones boards needs to have something lit under their arises. JJ needs to tell them to clean up their act or he is going to go elsewhere.

Flame me if you want but if you pay top dollar for a top of the line product you expect the builder to honor that contract.

Tim

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:45 pm 

Soo... yesterday my girlfriends Solution Women 152 arrived, I was very curious after reading all the quality issues posted here. :scratch:
But... this one looks great, no false alignment of the topsheet graphics, tip/tail hooks clip in just perfect, the rocker/camber profile perfectly the same on both halves believe me I am a f*$!n detailist and I did not find any quality issues on this board thanks god! :bow:
There is just one small thing, the karakoram clips work great, they close the board halves tight and fit snug, but there is a gap between the clip on left and on the right half of the board so when you fit the halves together til the K clips touch you have your halves shifted by approximately 3mm. I talked to a friend who has last years Jones Solution and there it is the same. I think it is OK and that it is the construction of the K clips which is a bit confusing. When the latch is centered over the opposing hook there is a gap between the protruding metal parts of left and right part of the clip which should serve as a stopper. So the exact alignment of the halves makes more the inner magnetraction than the K-clips itself.
I am used to Burtons Yin-Yangs which fit perfectly one into another and than the board halves are perfectly aligned.

Yeah one more detail - the graphics of the two halves do not match perfectly in the middle there are 2-3mm of the graphics missing in the middle like you would cut a solid board, but that is so on all Jones boards what I've seen.

So I don't know if I am (or better said my girlfriend is) the lucky one, but this Women Solution looks qualitatively very good to excellent compared to other splitboards. So I am happy, it is a beautiful board and the topsheet is a work of art in my eyes. :thumpsup:

And the Rocker/Camber/Rocker profile looks great from my point of view for all kinds of conditions so it looks promising that it will be a nice ride :headbang:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:36 pm 

Sorry to hash up an old thread but what kind of discount does Jones snowboards pull at the end of the season? I've been looking into split boards for next year and I'm loving the 12/13 solution.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next