Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Koflach - Oxygen
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:00 pm 

These things aren't in production anymore, but might be of interest to anyone looking for a plastic mountaineering boot to wear with strap bindings. I came across this pair on ebay.
I'm not really sure when they were manufactured, probably the early 90's, and I think they may have been made for snowboarding. So if you come across a pair of these in your size and think you might like them, here is what I think....

I had been looking for a plastic mountaineering boot that would go well with strap bindings and highbacks. These boots fit the bill.
They have a simple, lightweight plastic shell, and a cuff that goes high enough for a highback. I've been using thermofit liners in them. Though I haven't gone any long distances yet this year, they seem to be very comfortable for skinning, and they kick steps like a dream! They have a pretty soft lateral flex to them, so they are stable and do really well on loose/rocky ridges.

As is, they are similar to a moderately stiff snowboard boot. I removed the tongues from an old pair of snowboard boots, and sewed them in place to add a bit of stiffness. This also adds a bit of cushioning from the heelstrap on my bindings.

Riding in them feels just like riding in a pair of leather snowboard boots. Again, I haven't had a ton of time to try them out so far, and I haven't done anything incredibly technical in them. But so far they feel great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:37 pm 

Cool mod bcd!

Are you finding that the laces stay tight on the plastic shell?

I'd be interested in picking up a pair for a similar mod. Are they still available? Mind if I ask what you paid?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:15 pm 

I had a pair of those a few years ago. They do hike very well (the rocker in the sole is very pronounced) and ride reasonably too. They fit in some bindings better than others though. I remember them being pretty narrow for double boots so side to side fit was an issue.

These boot were basically the old koflach viva soft with a high cuff and matching liner. I'd like to see something similar based on the modern Degre.

Enjoy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:30 pm 

bcrider wrote:
Are you finding that the laces stay tight on the plastic shell?

I'd be interested in picking up a pair for a similar mod. Are they still available? Mind if I ask what you paid?

The lower laces are a little difficult to get tight, but they do stay tightened. The hooks on the upper cuff keep the laces in place.
I found those on ebay, and paid $50 bucks for them. Since they haven't been made in years, it seems like they are pretty hard to come by. I just happened upon a pair that was close to my footsize, and gave them a try.
Keep checking ebay!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:21 pm 

Quote:
The lower laces are a little difficult to get tight

You don't need to get the lower laces tight - just twist them around each other twice below the first set of hooks. This will lock the lower "setting" in.

If you need to get the upper section tighter, try hooking the laces around each other, bring one back to the next hook on the same side, then crank the other lace and hook it.

If the laces are long enough, wrap them around at the top.

You can get nice long, wax-impregnated laces made for hockey skates. These are more durable and won't absorb water (won't stretch or freeze up).