Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: K2 introduces the new "Kwicker" splitboard system -
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:19 am 

Glad to see different ideas coming to the table and companies advancing splitboarding but I am not holding my breath here. Never was a fan of the original clickers, saw many a rental come back to the shop in the day with "broken bindings" only to find out the boots were iced up and would not fully engage when stepping in.

The new boots tread looks terrible for hiking. How's the forward lean work? I think I would rather go hardboots if I was looking for a switch, but interested to see what the reviews are.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:31 pm 

Jefe009 wrote:
So obviously their #1 splitboard athlete was not involved at all in the design of this new system.

This completely blows me away. I can't even put into words how disappointing it is to hear this about the new product.

Kicking myself right now for not applying for that K2 Snowboards design/R&D position opening two years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:24 am 

I only tried clickers with a shimano boot once. The boot was WAAAY too stiff, almost like a hardboot. I always wanted to try the K2 Yak boot out, but never got the chance. That boot at least seemed to have potential. That boot with modern tech, seperate cuff like some modern boots like the burton slx, and of course a walk mode mech in the highback, maybe a 3rd strap in the highback for touring (strappy strap). I wouldn't leave the ankle strap out, but maybe the woked that out.

Anyway the slider track seems to hook onto the touring bracket more or less like the Mr. Chomps crampons from Spark. just not sure if those hooks will take the abuse of long tours with steep and/or icy transitions.

My :twocents:

A Merry Christmas to all of you.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:34 pm 

POP!!! That's a bubble bursting.
This is NOT innovation. I have one word for ya'll, bicycles. I thought about putting the shimano "toe" hook and "heel" latch directly on the voile slider 10 years ago. Shimano bindings are just not designed for snow.

I don't want to hate on K2, in fact I was a huge fan back when some of my favorite boards were built on Vashon, (170 TX, 159, 164, 173 eldos, recon riser)

Think about this for just a minute, a hole in the bottom of the sole of a snow boot; that is integral to latching you on to your slope tool :scratch: :nononno:

Those who claim to "used them for yrs and never had a problem clicking in", I call BS, maybe if you've never walked around much in sticky 32* soft snow.
I bought clickers and skylords (built in high back) in '01, the boots came with a sm pick for cleaning out the sockets(red flag). The system was a dream to use until the sockets clogged (switch & burton SI were less finicky, toe/heel, side/side retention arguments aside).
Sold them to a friend that needed new boots because I preferred the progressive forward flex and support of my raichle hardshells which are still going after wearing out 3 liners in well over a decades use.

Rode Lookout last Sat, with a friend who just got a pair of new old stock clicker boas on his skunkape. All was happy until we pushed across 50 yards of flat to a different run and he had trouble clicking in. almost every run after that it took several to a dozen tries to lock in.

Secondly he couldn't get the boa tight enough without fear of breakage until I let him use my extra power straps on the upper cuff allowing a few more clicks of the cable mech.

You want innovation, how about clicker binders that hold the board together like phantom or edison w/hybrid boot, ie AT style lower shell with walk mode cuff, either lace up or buckle options having clicker sockets AND dynafittings. And a smaller lighter weight tech fitting tour bracket???

ps love the tip/tail shape on that ultrasplit, oldskool :disco:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:19 pm 

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12343&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:29 pm 

O.K......so here is the lowdown of what I know

It is true that I didn't work on development of the "Kwicker" system and the reason behind that is because I am a sponsored athlete for Spark and to be involved would be a break in contract. What I did help work on is the UFO boots that are part of the system. I tested those boots out in the Pickets, Rainier, numerous North Cascadian Peaks and a full year of touring and resort riding. I really dig the dual boa system.

As for the Kwickers them self. I have had the opportunity to check them out and see how they transition. I am excited to get them out in the field and put them through the ringer for sure. I would have been testing them a tad bit earlier but size 13 feet made it a challenge with proto gear. My hope is to make it to all/most of the splitboard festivals and if that happens I should have the system with me for peeps to check out.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:24 pm 

K2 is 15 years too late with this. During the first clicker go around there were a handful of splitting weirdos trying to convince K2 that splits were the future.They weren't seeing it. Imagine how different this conversation would be if K2 had been early adopters. Instead they went with approach skis and snowshoes. Fast forward to now, approach skis and snowshoes are curse words.

A quote from someone still rocking clickers in 2013, " My clickers never released on me, well, except this one time on top of a cliff..."

There are innovative small business people making wicked bindings in their garages. Support them.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:34 pm 

on behalf of all splitting weirdos, we invite all innovative small business people to join the club of splitting weirdos :bananas: :bananas: :bananas:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:48 pm 

Scooby2 wrote:
on behalf of all splitting weirdos, we invite all innovative small business people to join the club of splitting weirdos :bananas: :bananas: :bananas:

Hell ya! :D I think this is how the sport will grow, more people, innovations, and companies building equipment.

Burton Freebird/spark blazes/ burton ruler boots

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:42 pm 

Have a pair of these in hand. Boots are very stiff!!! System is actually heavier than Voile hardware and lightrail or sparks bindings. FALSE CLAIMS on weight!!!
To give them credit, it is pretty elegant. I just do not see the splitboard market resorting to stepins!?!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:53 pm 

Are you going to ride the stuff? What is your relationship to K2 (in other words, why do you have a set in hand)?

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:06 pm 

Need to get out on them still. I do have not direct relationship with K2. We have a couple sets in house to test and try out. We weighed directly against voile, sparks, and karakoram. Heavier than voile or sparks for sure.
I personally do not like stiff rigid boots, but I'm going to get out on it this weekend and try a couple laps on them. The system looks elegant but I had clickers back in the day and stopped riding them because of the boot fit more than anything.
I will be very subjective when riding them regardless of my personal opinion. I really do not see myself switching from my strap in bindings anytime soon.
The tour brackets are pretty sweet though, easy to click in and well thought out.
I will try to upload a couple pics while out on them.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:23 pm 

Thanks for the extra info. I'm looking forward to your impressions.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next