Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hard Boot Doubters… Watch this vid
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:00 am 

wasatch surf wrote:
ps- my post was purely in jest. I don't care what anyone rides. I like hardboots cuz buckles and levers are easier to work with than straps and laces when you're fucked up. :guinness:

Agreed, my fingers do not work well enough to deal with laces...

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:33 pm 

Joey I will be rolling into Revelstoke the evening of January second and chillin' at Brendan Ginter and Jody Lowds place until the 5th of January for the Splitfest and got a room for Satuday night for the Raffle and party. I gotta' leave on the 6th to fly back to New Brunswick. I will be at Kickinghorse on the 2nd if you wanna' ride some boot pack chutes or I could be persuaded to come start to Revy. Just thought of hitting the Horse on the way through.
And now to everyone else on here about Hardboots! I think as an Alpinst/Mountaineer hardboots are by far by none the best in performance! Easy and fast fo persuaded transtions and crampons go on quickly too and yes I know I know some crampons fit soft boots. Softboots are comfortable and I still rock'em! But as I get over hanging in liftlines getting eyed up and down by fashion victims I will probably switch over!
See everyone at the Splitfest it's going to be a blast! :thumpsup:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:22 pm 

wow my spelling and grammer was harsh on that last post. Looks like typing on a smart phone in the back of a car is hard for me ....haha...Lol!

Well at least my snowboarding skills are much better, Merry Christmas everyone! :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:50 am 

yes, Merry Christmas to all, whatever type of boot one may prefer. And may we all have a deep powder New Year!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:13 am 

So the video worked, I want a hardboot setup. Now I just gotta figure out how to come up with the 2 grand to do it right. Buy some $800 boots and chop them up!

Actually, I can get a deal on some F1's. Are these decent boots for a harboot setup?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:22 am 

shred… if you can wait a little, AT boots usually start going on sale in late February. I usually try and buy new boots in the spring, as the savings can be $200 or so. This year I am hoping to find some new boots this spring…
Figure out what boots might work for you, and what size, and then keep an eye on the Internet for sale prices…
The Scarpa Rush looks like a more affordable boot which could work really well with some mods, the Dynafit "ONE" is another boot which is a little more affordable, see karkis' thread on that boot. The Scarpa comes with a really nice Intuition liner stock, and has the lean adjuster fixed with bolts (rather than rivets) for easy mods...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:36 pm 

I have had my eye on those Rush boots from Scarpa too. Glad to hear someone else thinks it could be a good boot. Its cuff range doesnt even compare to that of a Dynafit One or TLT5 but might be enough anyways. Ive been using Race Plates on my solid deck since I "saw the hardboot light" and think this boot could be a good hill boot. The TLT5 might be a little too lightweight for ski hill pounding. However I have used it at the hill for 3 years now and its still kicking. I find its very beneficial to ride at the skihill with whatever boot you decide on. Gets you used to it rather than switching back and forth from soft to hardboot. So when you tour to a great line you can tear it a new ass rather than riding it slowly so you can get used to the new boots. Just a thought..

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:51 pm 

I thought you guys would be happy to hear that I actually took my solid board out with some plate bindings and my BD Primes in the ski area the other day just to get a feel for how they ride and what mods I'll have to do to improve on them. Once again, I wish the TLT5s fit my feet...

They passed the test, I was able to do a few real methods and a back 3 even though I definitely had some stiff ankle style. I rode with my normal width and angles, ~23" and 24f/-6r on a cambered and tapered board. The only real issue I have is with the forward lean. It will be nice to figure out how to open up the hole in the forward lean bar to allow slightly more relaxed forward lean and some forward motion. I can ride it as is but I lose a lot of my ability to soak up chatter on my toes and any long heelside traverses are real leg burners.

They made my Driver Xs feel like house slippers but I had a pair of Sims boots (11 years ago?) that were almost as stiff. I'm still happy in the ski area with my soft boots but I think the hard boots will be my go to when I get my dyna split kit sorted out and of course for the mountaineering and big vert days. Soft boots might still have a place on the split for powder yo-yos and easy side country.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:21 am 

Jason: My TLT5s are softer than my DriverXs, not to worry though: I think that with some creative mods, you can get the Primes to be as soft as you would like. Mod the lean bar, and start cutting plastic, a little at time, until they ride as well as your soft boots. Do not accept a hard boot which compromises ride performance, work on them until they equal, or better, your soft boots.
While I enjoy the traditional advantages of hard boots (better touting, lighter weight, etc) I would not choose to ride them if they compromised my riding at all vs. a good soft boot. Another advantage of hard boots (once you get them riding right) is that they will retain the same flex properties over time, unlike soft boots which get softer over time.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:14 pm 

I spoke with a fellow splitter on the skin track the other day... He was rockin hard boots and a huge board.... I was with my bros packin down the takeoffs of some cliffs that had nice steep landings. (over by red lakes peak) funny things, he was so intent on letting me know how long he had been riding the area and how "old school" he was.... When we saw the dude decend, we all laughed :lol: because it was obvious that he was not a very strong rider. Now, I would never blame the equipment for bad style. I do believe its all rider when it comes to shreding. I am not a "hard bood doubter" but more of a fan of good style. I am gonna quote Shawn Palmer here on his thoughts of changing the image of downhill mountain biking.... "I didnt want to look like an ice skater, I wanted to look like a motorcross racer"

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:59 pm 

i dropped a good 20 footer in my primes yesterday.

it was cool, not too bad.

jason4- cut the shit out of those primes! mine werent very fun at first, bu the more plastic i cut off the better theyre gonna shred

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:46 am 

I had a good reason come up to make the switch from softboots to hard boots in the last week. I toured one last day on my softboots on the 27th and then went to the hardboots for the last 4 days. I didn't track vert very closely but figure that I got about 2500' each day. I'm convinced that I'll stick with HB. I don't know how much cutting will be needed with the Primes, the more time I spend in them the better they feel but I wouldn't mind getting rid of the shin bang from the top edge of the lower where it hits my ankle if I ride with the buckles loose on the cuff.

CB-
There is a chance I might end up in Oregon this weekend if the weather doesn't change much and it would be interesting to see how you've cut your's and how soft they feel.

PS Does anyone know who the dynasplitters were that made a summit attempt on Shuksan yesterday? I don't know if they made it, only that someone talked to them at the top of Winnie's Slide and they were on their way up.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:04 am 

That dude is ripping in that video... id like to see the soft boot advocate bithces on here ride like that.

That was probably BS and kyle on shuksan. Ben finally made the switch after a year after seeing how well they work for me. Kyle was most likely in soft booots. This will be my fourth season in hardboots.

Not sure if they summited, but one in there group did some ice climbing to the true summit.

I really dont give a rats ass what anyone thinks about my foot wear. Shits mad fun! Another fun video to make fun of hardbooters is saigns mid december pow days. Almost all pillow riding. 2 of the 4 are wearing hardboots.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next