Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: jones 12/13 build quality- anyone seen the goods?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:09 pm 

sounds like another shit storm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:10 am 

I have a Flagship Carbon 161 and a Solution Carbon 164 - build quality is as perfect as a snowboard can get, then again I spend less time looking and worrying about center edge gaps or my graphic alignment when I am bombing down long, steep pow ramps. Perhaps all of you should stop looking at your graphics so much and focus on your riding skills as they say "you can't blame the arrow, blame the archer". Put your measuring tape and micrometers away and get out and ride all you tech nerds, as all the time you waste micro analyzing specs does not matter at the end of the day.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:38 am 

Slackcountry wrote:
I have a Flagship Carbon 161 and a Solution Carbon 164 - build quality is as perfect as a snowboard can get, then again I spend less time looking and worrying about center edge gaps or my graphic alignment when I am bombing down long, steep pow ramps. Perhaps all of you should stop looking at your graphics so much and focus on your riding skills as they say "you can't blame the arrow, blame the archer". Put your measuring tape and micrometers away and get out and ride all you tech nerds, as all the time you waste micro analyzing specs does not matter at the end of the day.

Yeah!!! Especially that guy with the threadless inserts, for real get a life and just go ride it LOL

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:16 am 

I think the main reason you notice the graphic is misaligned is that on the hovercraft there is a boarder along the edge so it is easy to notice. I would contend most snowboards graphic placement is not perfect. The most important thing is I had my new hovercraft out for the first time yesterday on a bluebird pow day and i still can not wipe the smile off my face

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:24 am 

Slackcountry wrote:

Great idea... let's all spend $1k on a board but not expect quality. We shoud be paying twice that amount just for the privilege of having it say Jones between our feet. With so many manufacturers turning out quality product for the same money or less there's no reason to comprimise on anything.

But I guess that makes me a "tech nerd".

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:57 am 

Wasatch_Don wrote:
Slackcountry wrote:

Great idea... let's all spend $1k on a board but not expect quality. We shoud be paying twice that amount just for the privilege of having it say Jones between our feet. With so many manufacturers turning out quality product for the same money or less there's no reason to comprimise on anything.

But I guess that makes me a "tech nerd".

+1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:26 pm 

nice, if Jones can't get it's act together after three seasons....

fwiw, I make it a point to buy $1000 equipment that is badly made...it's more core that way

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:41 am 

http://www.splitboardmag.com
http://www.facebook.com/splitboardmag1
https://twitter.com/splitboardmag
http://instagram.com/splitboardmag

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:13 am 

I think this is and easy solution (no pun intended). You have to build your own boards!

If you source them to a 3rd party you will not have the same quality control. Some companies pride themselves on the perfect product, some would rather just fix problems as they occur, and some just dont care. Jones has been taking care of their QC issues with good customer service, so lets give them credit for that.

The only was to completely resolve this issue would be for them to bring production in house; which is a huge expenditure considering they dont have and machines, material or expertise to build them right away. Additionally they would have to "tool-up" and work through their own set of initial QC issues.

Another possible option would be to outsource them to a highend splitboard manufacturer. If one builder did decide to build Jones ("if" because if could be bad for their own business model) the cost might be considerably more. Jones has good prices on their gear now, but would you pay $1200 for a Jones without hardware? Please think about that.

I think with Jones you get what you pay for. They are less expensive than most splitboards. Great shapes and fair construction. You are getting a Pro's name on your gear which some people love plus you support JJ and POW. You also know in the right hands (JJ's) it can be ridden anywhere on earth. For you people buying Jones' from box stores... What did you think was gonna happen when you bought a splitty from REI? Take your lumps and learn you lessons, if you want the perfect board buy a handmade, custom or build it yourself!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:45 am 

PedroDelfuego wrote:

I think with Jones you get what you pay for. They are less expensive than most splitboards. Great shapes and fair construction. You are getting a Pro's name on your gear which some people love plus you support JJ and POW. You also know in the right hands (JJ's) it can be ridden anywhere on earth. For you people buying Jones' from box stores... What did you think was gonna happen when you bought a splitty from REI? Take your lumps and learn you lessons, if you want the perfect board buy a handmade, custom or build it yourself!

Think I would rather spend the extra money and get a board that is built right and is going to be safe in the BC.. Maxpower's board didnt even come close to matching up. His 2nd solution that is, I saw it myself. Even the end clips couldnt clip properly b/c it was so far off. Not to mention the delam. That one was purchased at Wave Rave. I wouldnt ride that, no way.. If your reason for buying a board is b/c it has a pros name on it thats just stupid IMO. And what difference should it make if he bought his first board at REI? Still no excuse for the inserts not being threaded. Maybe they shoudnt advertise on this site that we all support if thats the case.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:09 pm 

I Like JJ, and hope they continue to support this forum. Anybody with a QC issue should call Jones and I bet they would take good care of you. They will want to know about any QC issue also.

If you buy a board inspect it first. God knows nobody at REI has ever actually splitboarded. Support your local shop, buy your gear from them and they may stock more splitty gear next year.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:45 pm 

I think maybe some of this gets blown out of proportion. Are there issues? Some. Is it any more than any other manufacturer? Who knows. Is it fair to compare a start up to an established company? Probably not. I have only had one issue and it was handled very quickly and to my satisfaction. Is everybody's board delamming? Obviously not otherwise it would be all over the forums. So claiming they are not safe is a bit of a stretch. Complaining about graphics being not centered by an 1/8 of an inch is a non issue. Please keep things in perspective.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:19 pm 

wjb wrote:
I think maybe some of this gets blown out of proportion. Are there issues? Some. Is it any more than any other manufacturer? Who knows. Is it fair to compare a start up to an established company? Probably not. I have only had one issue and it was handled very quickly and to my satisfaction. Is everybody's board delamming? Obviously not otherwise it would be all over the forums. So claiming they are not safe is a bit of a stretch. Complaining about graphics being not centered by an 1/8 of an inch is a non issue. Please keep things in perspective.

3 years isn't a start up any more. plus there is a large difference in a grass roots company started vs a company funded by a lot of industry money.

and at this point I would say yeah it is more than any other mfg. back in the day when there was only 2-3 splitboard companies something like this would have put the company down for good. anyone remember the prior shit storm mid 2000's just because of some bad customer service experiences?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next