Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Gloves for the skin track
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:03 pm 

OR Gripper gloves are straight-up fitted windstopper fleece with a grippy palm material. The face is smoother than most types of fleece so snow is less likely to stick. Still warm if they get damp. Pretty durable, and under $50. My fave all-around cool-temp gloves.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:13 pm 

Found I really like wool liners as somebody else posted, but they don't last long. I got two pairs for 10 bucks in a bargain bin, wish i wouldve grabbed some more.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:39 pm 

I use a few different types of gloves depending on how warm it is out. I tend to alternate with and without gloves on the way up. Every time my hands start to heat up I take them off and clip them to my chest strap for a bit.

The types of gloves I really like are the REI One Gloves which are soft shell type gloves and the OR PL 150 gloves which are less water proof but breath really well, they are liner type gloves. I carry some waterproof Patagonia Gortex gloves in the pack for colder temps and wetter conditions.

Prior Backcountry 165 w/Sparks Blaze

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:27 am 

None. Except if it's really cold. Then I don Pistolero'n'hockeytape remnants. I think they're more snowseal than glove now....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:40 am 

keffler wrote:
websherpa wrote:
I have some leather work gloves that do the trick. They are reasonably water resistant, dry out quickly breath alright and don't have any built in insulation. So they work well as a shell and are just big enough to accept glove liners for extra warmth. I find I wear them more than my hat but still take them off occassionally when it's really warm out. In addition to their their moderate warm they provide much better protection than many other winter style gloves for things like camp chores and rope work. I bought a pack of 3 at costco for under $30 and would easily buy 3 more packs as they are have lots of use outside the snowboard piece of my life.

I was eying some all leather gloves in Home Depot yesterday. Decided against them as I thought they might not breath very well and hold water. I guess I need to reconsider. The price is right though. :thumpsup:

When its dry and really cold pigskin leather gloves are awesome. I used $20 kinko yellow all winter in Canada. When they get wet they suck ass. I also have blackdiamond guide Image expesive but pretty bomber.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:45 am 

I've really been liking my BD Punisher ice gloves. They are like a spring glove, but with super sticky grips for ice climbing. The nice thing about the sticky stuff is when gripping your ski pole you don't have to adjust the pole or add grips to the shaft. Really nice when traversing.

My second favorites are my trusty old Kinko 901s. These are my cold day gloves. I don't even bother waterproofing them but that's just me. My hands never get wet or cold in these unless it's below 0.

Lastly, for the really cold days, where temps are low, winds are high, I will grab my 6 year old BD Guide gloves. These things are like brand new because I rarely use them. They are always in the pack for emergencies but I might use them twice a year.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:45 am 

I've really been liking my BD Punisher ice gloves. They are like a spring glove, but with super sticky grips for ice climbing. The nice thing about the sticky stuff is when gripping your ski pole you don't have to adjust the pole or add grips to the shaft. Really nice when traversing.

My second favorites are my trusty old Kinko 901s. These are my cold day gloves. I don't even bother waterproofing them but that's just me. My hands never get wet or cold in these unless it's below 0.

Lastly, for the really cold days, where temps are low, winds are high, I will grab my 6 year old BD Guide gloves. These things are like brand new because I rarely use them. They are always in the pack for emergencies but I might use them twice a year.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:28 am 

Dakine Blockade

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:10 pm 

PSA: There are tons of gloves on The Clymb right now, even if the only sizes left are XS and XL. They've got stuff from BD, Dakine, and OR, among others.

http://www.theclymb.com/brand-event/298 ... Essentials

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:22 pm 

Keff check these out. I got the Tough Guy. work great and you cant beat the price!

http://www.flylowgear.com/tough-guy-12.html

http://www.flylowgear.com/ridge-glove-12.html

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:26 pm 

I've used these all last season for touring, and love them. Generally, unless it is <15 degrees, I just keep these on all day, and my hands are good. Grip is good, and I can do everything except operate a smart phone. They aren't waterproof, which is one downfall if it is dumping wet snow. But most of the time, I'm good to go, same gloves all day. I would not wear them at a resort, not warm enough, but touring, super.

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/or-gear/gloves/mens-storm-tracker-gloves.html

If you care I wear those gloves, Mountain Hardware Kepler jacket (different base layer depending the temps), Westcomb Event pants. I think its pretty dialed for me. 80% of the time, I don't change a layer. I've had all on for super deep days and never changed a layer once, and was comfortable on all the climbs. That's a huge thing in my mind, its 2/3 of your transition time right there.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:32 pm 

Bangs for bucks the trusty Kinco 94HK or Kinco 901 are hard to beat.

I waterproof mine very effectively with Lanolin (sheep wool grease) spray , several coats, so its soaked in to the seams and joints.

They are cheap, durable, warm and can be used with inner wool/polyprob thin gloves too for extra comfort in cold conditions.

Not the most supple on cold days till they are broken in a bit, but with an inner on you can always slip the glove off to lace up or tweak something without getting too cold.

cheers
Rich

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:18 am 

Been wearing these light XC ski gloves from MEC for the up this season and loving them. The price is definitely right too!

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/MensClothing/GlovesMitts/Gloves/PRD~5024-116/mec-grip-xc-gloves-unisex.jsp