Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What tools and spare parts should I carry?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:09 am 

I'm eagerly awaiting my split in the mail, so you could say I'm new to the sport :)

I've ridden in the backcountry for every one of my 20 snow-surfing years, but always on shoes. I'm in Maine now and all my partners are pinheads :wink: , so I need some info on what can go wrong with the voile system and plates, and what I'll need to fix it.

I did ride hard boots and the same set of cheap plates for years on lift-served, all bumps and trees, and they never needed a thing done. Are plates unbreakable? BTW, I recall a lot of lateral flex allowed by those bindings (which I liked) - were they just loose, or is that normal for plates?

With a soft set-up for bc, I've always had extra bails/bolts/power straps, etc. on board. Now it's Dynafits, Mt. Gun, and (?) plates. What tools and parts will I need?

riding 20 years
6'-0"
goofy
Maine (I'll show you tree skiing! :D )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:42 pm 

With the voile system, you really wont need any spare parts for that other than an extra slider pin (would be SOL if you lost one).

I cant comment on the plate binding repair kit. Maybe an extra bail?

Other than that…you gotta have a couple Voile ski straps, duct tape, some sort of knife/leatherman (but you don't need the super heavy one with a million features), rub on board wax and skin wax (in the spring), and a few zip ties or wire.

When using the Burton system I take an extra climbing bar and used to take an extra tip clip until I started riveting mine.

Good luck and have fun! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:31 pm 

Thanks, bcrider.

Anyone got suggestions for the plates, or testify to their bomb-proofness?

I'm going to get as much time in on the new equipment as I can before heading to Ruedi's in Feb. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:25 pm 

funny i was about to make a post and ask this same question... glad i searched! :)

i plan to call voile and get an extra slider pin, and carry the extra shtuff bcr mentions...

was also wondering if anyone carries around extra t nuts? (the ones that the binding screws attach to that are under the binding plates) if so, i'll get more of these too. i occured to me that losing 2 or more would be bad and you might not notice for a while. does anyone lock-tite these? (not perm locktite mind you)

lol, i still have an extra tip tail hook from my burton split days. ;)