Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Fitwell Backcountry - video on the development of the boot
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:51 am 

Hi, here is a great insight of the development of the Fitwell Backcountry boot. From concept to prototypes through to production. All in house at Fitwell in Italy designed and built by experienced craftsmen with input from experienced alpinists - and yeah there is a splitboard there this is the platform they designed it for.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=426669134054452

Post subject: Re: Fitwell Backcountry
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:29 am 

That video rocks! I want a pair now! :drool:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:52 pm 

BGnight wrote:
Comparing the stock liners to 2 others I've tried side by side it's safe to say the stock liners are terrible. But the outer is still the reason to buy 'em :)
After hiking with these things the other day they aren't super fun on dry ground due to their weight (way better than an AT boot though). Still have yet to get to kick steps in them. Skinning wise they fit great in my karakorams and I'm sure they ride well too.

I wouldn't walk a long approach in plastic or double leather mountaineering boots either... and I'd treat the Fitwells the same. Once you are on the snow though, all good. I don't have a problem with cranking an approach in approach shoes (NZ is the land of long snow-less approaches...). In fact, I did this with my old boots too. I guess that until I hit the snowline I prefer the agility and light weight of a nice approach shoe (my feet get really hot too...), currently I use the Salewa Firetail - which incidentally is a piece of footwear I'm pretty pleased with in their own right. I've worn them plenty of places (including 60 km+ "tramps", and as camp footwear on the Southern McMurdo Ice Shelf...) where others would traditionally wear boots, they haven't skipped a beat. But I'm the kinda guy who'd rather not wear shoes at the best of times, so I try to always wear the most minimal footwear I can get away with...

Anyway, I'm rambling. Like I've said before, I haven't had a problem with the liners so far, and rode out the last part of the NZ season (including resort riding on my solid board). Not sure how many days, never as much as I'd like... ha. But yeah, no problems so far. But the key thing there is, everyones feet are different eh. The old adage used to be, buy the boot that fits, not the boot you want. Obviously at this end of the market, that gets a bit trickier with limited offerings but there are ways of making things work. As others have said, Intuition liners are pretty rad, and when the liners in my Fitwells do pack out (which is likely to occur way before the shell craps itself) I'd look to Intuition. In the past I've made blocks/wedges from high density foam to tweak fit around my heel/achilles.

I haven't made any measurements, but the Fitwell is definitely lower volume/shorter than my old boots. I'm in 295's, my split is a Never Summer SL Split 163x (I don't have an issue with wide boards, maybe I carry enough weight to be able to throw them around...). My solid board is not a wide board, but no issues with overhang there (no measurements on hand, but can get 'em if people are interested).

Kicking steps in these things rule. They've already saved my bacon/got me through/up shit I wouldn't have dreamed of before... and I haven't even bothered to strap crampons on 'em yet...

Stoked you enjoyed them skinning BGnight. Did you perceive any benefit in having the rigid sole when skinning? I've found that pretty useful (my old boots were way to soft to skin in comfortably), although some of that may come down to technique and me being a relative noob to skinning, but I do feel as though the torsional and lateral rigidity provides welcome extra support, especially on the splitboarders favourite - shitty traverses.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:42 am 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:37 am 

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:44 pm 

those boots are in my future, i like the ranger binding tech as well i hope he makes it...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:40 pm 

which crampon are you guys running?
this evening I have stupidly bought some Grivel, to arrive home to find the toe section of the crampon is too narrow for the boot. therefore need to return to shop tomorrow and exchange and your advice would help

BTY boots are awesome. smaller volume/length than every other boot I own (malmutte, isano and driver) ever time I look I am surprised they have fitted so much boot into a small package.

need to give them a fun set of testing >60days before I am completely sold but so far so good.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:15 am 

Did a 6 hour tour in deep pow yesterday to break them in (actually second day wearing). They skin great and ride even better. Hard to really judge since the pow was all time but the uppers are super flexy for riding (both laterally and forward) while the lowers are absolutely locked onto the board with no movement (they fit amazing in Karakoram SL's). I even had them loose and noticed no heel lift.

My one BIG problem though was my right outer boot doesn't feel the same as my left. I know my right foot is slightly bigger than my left but both days I had these on I felt pressure on my outer mid foot. The pain would not go away even if I loosened the liners (I should have completely loosened the lower shell) and by the end of the day my outer middle foot swelled up huge and I could barely walk when I got home. The swelling has gone down and I'm wearing the right boot as I type with the lower shell completely loose hoping this will make them usable for me. So far it's much better and I don't get heel lift as long as the liner is tight. Does anyone know if I can take these to a cobbler and get one side of the boot pressed out? My LEFT foot is in love with these boots! :lol:

I have another buddy who just got these and has 4-5 days hard resort riding on them and he's in love with them as far as how they ride. Granted he was rockin' ancient Malamutes forever :P. He is stoked though!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:42 pm 

dafu - I picked up some Simond Makalu crampons to go with these. Haven't had a chance to try 'em out in the hills yet, but they fit great. A nice general mountaineering 12 pointer from Chamonix.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:22 am 

thanks for the suggestion
which version of the Simond Makalu- the semi automatic mixed or the strap version.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:05 am 

I picked up some Camp XLC 470's (semi-auto) for my Fitwells. Looks great in carpet testing at the house, haven't tried them in the field yet since I need to get some better liners before I can even walk in 'em. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:10 am 

jimw wrote:
I picked up some Camp XLC 470's (semi-auto) for my Fitwells. Looks great in carpet testing at the house, haven't tried them in the field yet since I need to get some better liners before I can even walk in 'em. :)

They are the same that I use on Fitwell, light and practical, perfect parts to overcome dangerous or a complete top to peak :headbang:

...Splitboarding is art...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:49 am 

I have a pair of these boots, actually after a half day's riding on them I realized I had chosen the wrong size and was getting numb feet and cramps.
So I decided to sell them and buy another pair. Well, luck, bad or good, depending on whos' perspective you look at it from, would have it that the first guy who came to see them broke one of the lace clips.

So I called the shop and asked if they would replace them, which they agreed to, but only in the same size. Again, luck smiled on my and another guy wanted to buy them, so he went to the shop, baught my pair, and I managed to buy the last pair left in the next size up.

Well, I remembered then in the shop the 28.5 fit well, but my heel would not stay down, there was a lot of movement there. So now I have the correct size for comfort, but I don't this it's going to work out with function.

At this stage I'm undecided whether to sell this pair, which is brand new, new model, with tags still on them, never used, or, take them to a shoemaker and see if they can modify the insole so it will fit.

Great boots in theory, and a good group of people got involved in the development and production, so I am happy to support them, but it seems like I might not fit the boots!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 15  Next