Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Powder & Twins
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:09 pm 

After a failed attempt to ride the Twins in the Oregon Cascades a few weeks earlier, I was eager to head back with John and Dan with drier powder in the forecast. Getting to the Twins isn't an easy task in the winter. The trailhead is 7 miles down a closed road and then it's another 3.5 miles to the bowls where the good riding is found. Fortunately after several hours of work, John's early 1980's snowmobiles were in pretty good working order and we made the approach to the trailhead without incident. A good 6 inches of fresh snow greeted us at the trailhead....

Snow continued to fall on the skin in, with temps in the low 20's....

A few hours later we were standing at the top of the bowl looking at a sweet 700-800 foot 35-40 degree run in about 16 inches of fresh pow! However, the slope was windloaded with a rain crust below the fresh, presenting some concern. We skied down the mellow pitch a little ways towards the point where the slope rolled over, did a couple of ski cuts, and sure enough the whole slope went, running to the bottom. Looked like surface hoar was the culprit, forming on the crust during the previous clear weather......

Not to worry, we hiked back up and found a better slope varying between 25-30 degrees on a southeast aspect. Low density low temp snow isn't that common here in Oregon, and we enjoyed every turn on the way down! I was on my new Chimera Mace 161 split with 11m sidecut and no-wave camber that Allister custom made for me earlier this fall and this was it's maiden voyage. I am definitely impressed! Not only did it ride like a dream, it was excellent on the skin track as well! Can't wait to get it out for what it's intended for - spring volcano corn riding....but that's another story. Right now it's powder time!

We were able to get a couple of laps in before our turnaround time approached, and man I wish we could have got a couple more. Here's a shot of Dan getting some freshies followed by a shot of me in the white room.....

On the out I was able to ride for the first two miles, making turns here and there and jumping in and out of the skin track and floating off natural hits here and there, which was a blast. The last mile however sucked as it's super flat. I was stubborn and didn't change over to skins but just kept it in ski mode, and actually sweated for the first time the entire day. Finally back at the trailhead, we were all relieved when the mo's started - nobody was looking forward to a 7 mile death march out a flat road in a foot of fresh pow. Back at the truck at dark, we headed for John's cabin for beers and dinner prior to a full day of riding powder while ski patrolling at the local hill the next day. What a great way to spend the weekend! Here's a parting shot back at the trailhead......

www.splitboardoregon.com

Post subject: Re: Powder & Twins
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:03 am 

Looks great. Funny hearing about the issues with the 1980s approach sleds. I've often discussed their merits with a buddy in Bend. He's got a friend with one that always needs work. Not sure if it's the sled, or the mechanic...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:50 pm 

Sick Stoudema! Way to get up to a place that not many see this time of year!!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:50 pm 

mofoco wrote:
Looks great. Funny hearing about the issues with the 1980s approach sleds. I've often discussed their merits with a buddy in Bend. He's got a friend with one that always needs work. Not sure if it's the sled, or the mechanic...

Yeah, in this case I think it's some of both :wink:

Re/Jbay - Thanks man, looking forward to hooking up with you again to ride something this year!

www.splitboardoregon.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:48 am 

Sick matt!

Snow looks so nice.

I thought the rule of thumb for pre 90's sleds was one hour in the garage gets you a half hour on the trail?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:52 am 

looks awesome! thanks for the stoke.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:47 pm 

ale_capone wrote:
I thought the rule of thumb for pre 90's sleds was one hour in the garage gets you a half hour on the trail?

That's funny Ale - hadn't hear that one yet but it makes snese! In our case I think it was double or tripple that! Considering the sleds had sat in a garage for the last couple of years w/o being started though, I think we did all right.........I'm hoping that ratio goes down in the future though!

www.splitboardoregon.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:16 pm 

Nice, glad to see your Mace getting out… Not enough snow in Colorado risk my shiny new Mace yet… but maybe by the time I get back from Christmas in CT…

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/