Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Why do splitboarders ride such long boards?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:40 pm 

Scott is also a man on the large side. or at least compared to my skinny self. I top out at 160 pounds and dont ride a board shorter then 164. though I do have a very old Scott Newsome board from when he rode for Atlantis which is a 157 tapered. as they say, run what you brung.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:48 pm 

Long or Short??? This why I got the 11/12 Fissile Splitboard 172 cmon closeout from REI. So I could ride Deep Pow and tight trees.

Quote:
The Fissile has a directional, powder profiled nose that is bigger than anything else in the Prior lineup. It also comes with the shortest radius sidecut that we make. This crazy combination has an early rise tip for enhanced powder float while delivering unparalleled mobility. The Fissile also offers stability at speed, you can step on your front foot and straightline with confidence or shift back and turn on a dime. The shape naturally lends itself to soul riders who love to generate power off even the smallest terrain features. It’s crazy good and is quickly becoming a favourite of powder friends worldwide!

SEE [url]vimeo.com/55394765[/url]

Mind you, I really like my 163 cm Venture Storm Splitboard for all conditions.

I use to ride a 178cm Prior Backcountry, but is was too much board for me. I'm 5'10" @ 190 Lbs. I glad that I now ride much a shorter board.

I even ride a 156 cm Fish at the resort.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:03 pm 

Killclimbz wrote:
That said, I pretty much ride about the same size deck as I use for the resort. The rocker thing gives you a lot more room to play with however you like.

+2 :thumpsup: I am +2-3cm on my resort solid, but +1 on my powder board.

That said I am 5'6" 160lbs and ride a 158cm solid, 160cm split pow board and a 161 regular split - so much bigger for my relative size. Anything shorter than a 156cm seems like a skateboard to me.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:15 am 

Because these posts always end up the same way, perhaps its logical that board length be characterized in a similar way to skate decks; skateboards and Longboards.
The majority of skate decks break down to the 28-32" range (e.g., 71-81cm) and the longboard range 36"-44" (e.g., 91-112cm). Comparing these categories its easy to see that snowboard length debates, for all the merits, can seem a little obsessive.

I guess I need to recognize that when most people talk about sizing-up they are talking about very minimal increments, typically a few centimeters, or just slightly larger than the diameter of a beer cap (or two). I hope this illustrates why some us view this as an imperceivable change underfoot. Not because its wrong, technically flawed, or whatever, but simply because we are talking about two distinct board categories and as such, two completely different riding experiences.

As far as experiences go; like each of us, I can only draw conclusions from my own. Having ridden everything from a 140-ish to 200 I'm partial to a bigger board. There are traditionally very few days where a small board (in my case a 163cm) allows me to find the experience I seek on the terrain I ride, but on those few days the 163 is quite fun, and in fairness, skinning can be much less of a slog. However, breaking trail in deep fresh pow is better on the bigger sticks.
On the other 80-90% of the days its just a complete suffer fest of strait-linning, and riding nose up on the 163. If you've ever struggled to get up on a slalom water ski, behind an under powered boot, this is exactly my experience on boards less than 170cm. :nononno:

Hope this make sense, and whatever you choose to ride just have fun! :guinness:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:26 am 

I prefer a longer board not so much for the float, but for the extended effective edge. I ride a 168W Jones Flagship and have ridden the same board in smaller versions and they performed fine. But I like to go very fast on occasion and having the longer effective edge allows me to have more confidence in the boards edge hold during high speed turns. For reference, I'm 6'2" and pushing 200 lbs so a bigger board is not unheard of for a guy my size anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:23 pm 

I'm 6'6" and 195 lbs and I ride a 168 split. My resort board is a 173. I like the short board for easy kick turns and less weight. Also, I end up riding through a lot of brush and down super narrow trails, and I feel like the shorter board pays off there. I haven't ever tried a longer split though. Haven't noticed any issues with floatation, even with my splits which are minimally tapered.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:08 pm 

The way I see it, a lot has to do with riding style and personal preference

Xavier De La Rue 5'7" 190 rides a 167

Jones 5'8" 150 rides a 161

Travis Rice 5'11" 180 rides 161.5 for kickers and mini golf 164 for AK

I'm 6'1" 180. I usually ride between a 160-64. I grew up with a huge park influence. My solid is a T.Rice 161.5 and my split is a venture zephyr 164. I've rode solid cambered 164's before and loved them, rockers make it easier to turn. If I was to go to AK I could ride my 61.5 but I would probably want a 64-68 because I'd just want to point it. I think the next solid I buy will be the Rice 64 as I used to be 175 and wouldn't mind a little more float and stability at high speeds. That being said I can still haul balls on my 61.5

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:08 pm 

I'll go a bit further

Dirksen

5'10" 170 rides 163

Muller

6'2" 180 rides 158

Eric Jackson 5'9" 155 rides 159

Most pros are smaller guys but I think you'll be hard pressed to find a pro riding a 170 or larger. The only one that comes close is Xavier, but he doesn't turn :bow:

I'm probably going to open a big bag of worms here, but... I tend to disagree with the "not enough skill to turn a longer board" Barrows theory....maybe its more of a not enough skill to keep a small board stable. I'd like to see one of you long doggers spin off a wind lip on a 180cm...just sayin'

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:57 pm 

saign wrote:
I'll go a bit further

Dirksen

5'10" 170 rides 163

Muller

6'2" 180 rides 158

Eric Jackson 5'9" 155 rides 159

Most pros are smaller guys but I think you'll be hard pressed to find a pro riding a 170 or larger. The only one that comes close is Xavier, but he doesn't turn :bow:

I'm probably going to open a big bag of worms here, but... I tend to disagree with the "not enough skill to turn a longer board" Barrows theory....maybe its more of a not enough skill to keep a small board stable. I'd like to see one of you long doggers spin off a wind lip on a 180cm...just sayin'

You are right about one thing: preference and riding style do matter, as I stated at the beginning of my first post in this thread, as also does preferred (and available) terrain. But here is where you are wrong: riding skill makes it possible to make quick turns on a longer board. For example, I have no problem shredding the typical Colorado tree run on longer board (170+) with rocker. An old school fully cambered board, like the Morrow Goodwill 179 I loved for couple of seasons, makes it a little more difficult, but it still can be done. Of course, this analysis is a little overly simplisitic, as factors like flex, sidecut, taper, and dampness will matter as well.
But, there is no skill known to man which can make a typical, deep sidecut, 162 cm board stable when one is maching out of tight exit and then hits unseen buried avy debris. Situations like that demand a board which is stable by nature: MY choice (personal preference) is to err on the side of stability, as I know I can make the more stable board turn quickly enough, but I cannot make the squirrelly board stable. I prefer a board which is unflappable in demanding situations, which smooths out less than perfect snow conditions, and which makes riding at speed effortless, rather than a scary accident waiting to happen.
The rider has to decide what their own priorities are: if getting that last 1/4 rotation on a backside 7 is of prime importance, then by all means go a little shorter, if stability and ease at speed and floatation is important, go a little longer.
As mentioned previously: Scott Newsome is a pro rider whose new board from Trapper is a 173-but, I would never suggest that riders choose their equipment based on what some pro rides, that would be nonsensical. One should choose their equipment based on what works for their own riding. BTW, pro riders with "signature" model boards are generally paid royalties... I know if I was a "name" pro rider, my signature board would be bad ass 162, so all the lift rats would buy it and I would get more cash... Heck, Daniel Furberg had to start his own company to get the kind of board he wanted, as his board sponsor was not willing to make it, for fear of not being able to sell it.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:16 pm 

Well, if skill allows you to turn a long board quickly, then skill should allow you to keep a short board stable at speed.

One word: QUIVER

One more word: SQUATS

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:22 pm 

I agree with most of what you say, and I like longer boards than most of my friends. I can stomp pow landings like park jumps with a 64. I also ride the trees fine with it. I even find myself willing to go a little bigger. That being said, while it's less effort to float and haul ass, it takes more effort to turn at low speeds and maneuver in tight spots.

The analysis of what the pros ride is simply showing what the best of the sport ride. I think their choices are relevant. How can you deny what the best in the world are defining the sport with. I agree about the marketing ploys, but how many banana hammocks has lib sold? They made that board for Travis and have hardly sold any. If you choose a corvette over my Subaru WRX, you'll smoke me on the strait away but I'll out manuver you in the tight spots. Its all about personal preference and riding style IMO.

And I do believe it takes just as much skill to hold a shorter board solid at high speeds if not more, than it does to turn a long one at low speeds.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:42 pm 

Sorry, but you cannot make a squirrely board stable no matter what you do. Stability is inherent in the board design, or not...
Consider: sure, if you want to straightline a big pow face on a short, soft board with a deep sidecut, you can do it with stability by leaning way back and unweighting the nose. But now, you cannot turn if you have to...
Also, this approach requires that you know you need stability at that moment. Now, consider another example, you make turns on a hanging face, drop into a funnel shaped couloir, and want to point it out the exit. What you do not know, is that there is a pile of avy debris in the apron, just buried by new snow so it looks totally clean. This is perfect example of where a board which is inherently stable is a huge asset. Sure, if you are incredibly strong, maybe you exert a huge force, and can keep that tiny board from blowing up on you, but, it would be so much smoother and easier with a stable board from the start. Why make it hard on yourself?
As to pros, I am not under the same illusion as you that they are generally "the best in the world" and neither I am interested in riding like them. I am interested in riding like me, the way I want to ride, and I suggest others should ride their own way as well, not to worship at the altar of some marketing tool.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:21 pm 

No worries Barrows, just gonna have to disagree with you. Lots of folks are more interested in hitting features and riding pow vs riding extreme terrain where they need the most stable platform. People should ride whatever length board they want. I personally like bigger boards also. :thumpsup: But just because you're not interested in riding like a modern pro snowboarder doesn't mean that some of them don't rip. Worship - no. Respect - yes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next