Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Titanium Screws, school me
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:13 pm 

Going to mount a new board, looking for lighter hardware.
Looking at http://www.titanium-screws.com/titanium-screws.html for a direct mount of Dynafit toe piece's, heel wires.
Any other suggestions, anything I should be careful with?

Post subject: Re: Titanium Screws, school me
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:18 pm 

You'll probably want to use anti-seize compound.

Your inserts are probably made from stainless steel, but if they're aluminum you could run into corrosion issues with titanium.

Personally, I'd trade the small weight-saving benefit of titanium for the proven reliability of stainless steel fasteners.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:22 pm 

+1 nifl

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:09 pm 

take a big shit before your tour and save yourself some bucks

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:53 pm 

Use anti-seez compound from a bike shop or take a big shit (big shit saves more weight).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:45 pm 

Tap wrote:
take a big shit before your tour and save yourself some bucks

:lol: got me good!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:05 pm 

J. I use titanium bolts quite often, on both my splitboards and bikes. Titanium seems to do pretty well when used with stainless steel inserts like Quiver Killers, and the M6 inserts in splitboards. I do not use traditional grease/metal particle anti seize compounds on my splits. I use Vibratite VC-3 thread locking compound, which also helps to resist galling. While using VC-3, titanium bolts have worked very well for me. A titanium bolt is actually at least as strong as a stainless bolt in the same size thread pitch, only a non stainless high strength steel alloy has more strength than titanium. Titanium is almost half the weight of steel. Titanium bolts are expensive, and sometimes require a little grinding to get the exact size that one needs, but considering how many bolts are on some bindings and split set ups, one can save some significant weight.
If you are careful with them (do not screw up the heads by using worn out tools to tighten them), titanium bolts will last many years. Just never use them "dry", use a generous amount of VC-3, and re-coat with VC-3 when necessary.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:23 am 

where is a good place to order them from Barrows, I would like to try some, and maybe titanium rod bend to make a nice light climbing heel wire eh?

barrows wrote:
J. I use titanium bolts quite often, on both my splitboards and bikes. Titanium seems to do pretty well when used with stainless steel inserts like Quiver Killers, and the M6 inserts in splitboards. I do not use traditional grease/metal particle anti seize compounds on my splits. I use Vibratite VC-3 thread locking compound, which also helps to resist galling. While using VC-3, titanium bolts have worked very well for me. A titanium bolt is actually at least as strong as a stainless bolt in the same size thread pitch, only a non stainless high strength steel alloy has more strength than titanium. Titanium is almost half the weight of steel. Titanium bolts are expensive, and sometimes require a little grinding to get the exact size that one needs, but considering how many bolts are on some bindings and split set ups, one can save some significant weight.
If you are careful with them (do not screw up the heads by using worn out tools to tighten them), titanium bolts will last many years. Just never use them "dry", use a generous amount of VC-3, and re-coat with VC-3 when necessary.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:16 am 

I use them for all my binding screws: M6 countersinks for Phantom bindings into the board inserts, M5 buttonheads for the Phantom bindings "tab" mount, M5 countrersinks for my Dynafit toe pieces into the Quiver Killer inserts in my board (have to grind down the heads to fit here). Etc. anywhere there is a stainless steel screw it can be replaced with titanium. I have not used it for K-clips or Voile split hooks because those are english threads, and I can only find metric titanium bolts.
Beware, they are expensive, and a little tweaky, so be careful with them. But with careful selection and installation, they are every bit as strong as stainless steel.
Unfortunately, bending titanium rod precisely is very difficult to impossible, as it is so resilient. Usually you only see titanium products with shallow bends, and I suspect it might be impossible to produce the precise complex bends needed for heel lifters (or other things, like binding bails, sad...) Maybe it could be done... but I kind of doubt it. If you can make heel lifters out of 6/4 ti rod, I would buy the wires for $50 a pair...

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/