Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: pull to open bindings string do it on not?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:32 pm 

Just wonder, I got voile light bindings should I put it on or not? was anybody in situation to do it, pull to free bought legs in avalanche?
Thanks ziby

Post subject: Re: pull to open bindings string do it on not?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:36 pm 

Put um on. Makes entry and exit easier.
Don't plan on release for avalanche, though...and one in, one out is as bad or worse than both in.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:48 pm 

Yes, I would attach the quick-release avalanche string pulls on the Light-Rails. If attack by the White Dragon (Avalanche), I would try to pull the sting at the same time. If you can do both at the same time.

The reality is that a snowboard is an anchor in an avalanche!

Quote:
A non-releasable snowboard acts like an anchor in a slide and just wants to suck you straight to an icy grave at the bottom of the debris pile
Quoted form BURIED IN TELLURIDE: SNOWBOARDER’S FIRST-HAND ACCOUNT OF OPHIR AVI RESCUE
Posted on May 31st, 2011

See http://www.backcountryaccess.com/2011/05/31/buried-in-telluride-snowboarders-first-hand-account-of-ophir-avi-rescue/

This is one reason why I wear hardboots and HB Bindings, so that I can quickly release out of the board.

Even consider tying a string to HB boot bales, like shown on WildSnow.com. See Snowboard Quick Release System

http://www.wildsnow.com/articles/snowboard_quick_release/snowboard_release.html

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:59 pm 

jive stick wrote:
Put um on. Makes entry and exit easier.
Don't plan on release for avalanche, though...and one in, one out is as bad or worse than both in.

Agreed on both points. I put some on my bindings initially thinking about the avy situation, then found out that what I really liked was how much quicker it made the normal unstrap routine. To really make them useful for an avy situation you'd probably want to rig a single pull string attached to both individual strings, threaded up your pant leg or something for easy access. I've been in just moderately deep snow and had problems locating the string immediately (since it's buried in snow), and that's the last thing you want to worry about in a real avy situation.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:24 pm 

I recently met a pro snowmobiler who was caught while wearing an airbag pack and he wasn't able to pull the trigger on his pack strap... I'm pretty doubtful that in an avy situation I'd be able to reach down with both hands and pull both binding releases and afraid I might even get to a single cord. On the other hand, I might be concerned about accidentally releasing the bindings.

I guess the real answer is, don't get caught in an avalanche.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:50 pm 

I've imitated the voile strings on my sparks. Works well to get out quick 'n easy generally. I haven't had to use them in an avy. When I'm feeling like the possibility is there, I have a climbing runner (webbing) that I attach to both as jimw suggests. If I can find that runner then I can release both bindings simultaneously w/ one hand.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:50 pm 

chrishami wrote:
I recently met a pro snowmobiler who was caught while wearing an airbag pack and he wasn't able to pull the trigger on his pack strap... I'm pretty doubtful that in an avy situation I'd be able to reach down with both hands and pull both binding releases and afraid I might even get to a single cord. On the other hand, I might be concerned about accidentally releasing the bindings.

yup. i dont really know what the OP is talking about. but i definitely know from experience that the only way to be sure youre not strapped in when you go for a slide is- make sure ya dont slide... its not fun

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:58 am 

chrishami wrote:

Bingo. If you are in a slide, you need to fight with everything you have to get out of it, much better chance than ditching the board and submitting to it. And if you lose that fight, there is no way you will be able to release your bindings. When riding I'd be worried about the cord catching on something and releasing when you don't want it.