Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dynafit toe pieces without adapters?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:28 am 

I have read on several places that it is possible to directly mount the Dynafit toe piece, without using the adapters. How it is done on a split with factory installed voile hardware? Drilling between the existing holes? Is there any other significant advantage, apart from (marginal? How much does the adapter actually weight?) weight saving in not using the adapters?
Also does anybody have any idea where in Europe I can get only the Dynafit toe pieces? Contact and beg the local dealers? I want to avoid shipping, taxes and waiting from the US...

Post subject: Re: Dynafit toe pieces without adapters?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:40 am 

cant help regarding without but shop selling adaptors.

http://www.splitboards.ch

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:49 pm 

If you are committed to the hard boots for at least one board, just get it drilled. Will keep you closer to the board without adapters, and less weight. The weight for all 4 adapter pieces is probably one pound. (1/2 kilo)

I just set up my toe pieces with adapters last night, and am already looking forward to getting my board drilled. My :twocents:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:18 pm 

i personnaly don't recommand mounting the toe pieces without the adapters.
I drilled them on my first dyna-split some years ago, and i broke one of them one day i was climbing on hard snow, and was really on the edge of the skis. I think the lateral tension is too strong to support it very long on split skis, because they are much wider than regular skis.
my :twocents:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:25 pm 

I only direct mount my Dynafit toe pieces. Previously, I used the stock Dynafit ski screws, and had zero problems. Now, because I want to share 1 set of Dynafit toes among my 3 splits, I put Quiver Killer inserts in my splits, and use titanium bolts. The Quiver Killers work great, but just like ski screws, unless you know how to install them, they will not be strong.
Either way, Quiver Killers, or straight ski screws, will be plenty strong enough IF you know how to install ski screws. I have three full seasons mounting my Dynafit toes with ski screws, and have had no problems. I am 175 lbs, and 6'1", and I have taken a few good split skiing falls with them as well. Ski screw mounts are really strong when done right.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:00 pm 

barrow zero problems ??? i hope so for you, a ski core is difrent to a snowboard core, first it is not so high and you need shorter screwns, and the wood is not the same kind - look for very good screwns the same like voile used ih the old DIY kit but a sizze smaler. the dynafit touringbrackets need 4 holes, and the are in a patern like ca. 30 x40 mm a littel place, and no room for 4 big inserts this is a hot bracke piont, my next step is building a board with a dynafit hole patern - no adapter need - nothing wight nothing.

glue ( epoxi ) in the holes can help you for DIY splitboard + dynafit to pices.

markus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:13 pm 

Markus: Exactly, I have had zero problems in three seasons of splitting with direct mounted Dynafit toe pieces in both a Prior and Venture board. BTW, these boards have thick enough cores to use the stock Dynafit screws, in a 9 mm hole, drilled with a dedicated ski drill bit. Of course, all screws mounted with decent long cure epoxy. I just needed to grind off the pointed tip of the screws, about 1 mm, but not losing any of the thread depth.
I have taken a few fairly violent split skiing falls as well, with no problems whatsoever.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/