Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Its between two boards - Need some advice
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:42 pm 

Narrowed it down to two boards, it’s between last years Venture 164 Odin Split and this years Jones 164 Solution. I just sold my older Prior BC 168 that I loved as it would rip down open bowls with easy but was finding it a bit long in the trees last year. I’m 5’ 11” and about 160lbs. I’m on Vancouver Island so testing any of these boards is not an option. I use a 160 Fish and Arbor A-Frame 166 for resort riding. Has anyone tried both of these boards out and have any opinions? I’m sure I would be happy with either pick. Thanks in advice for your feedback.:thumpsup:

Post subject: Re: Its between two boards - Need some advice
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:32 pm 

I have a 164 Solution, the first years model. I love it. Rides really surfy to me and floats nicely in powder. No quality issues so far.
but to add to your confusion you cant go wrong with a Venture either.

Good choice on going shorter though.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:16 pm 

I'm just about exactly your size and have been on the Solution 164 for 2 seasons now, and love it (it's probably not as stiff as the current model). It's a great all-around board. I haven't personally ridden the Odin, but from everything I've heard it sounds more geared to big-mountain charging, i.e. it rides well at mach speed, no so much at slower speeds. So I imagine trees might be an issue.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:22 am 

I ride the 168W in the Solution and flagship, no quality issues whatsoever. Although it is a big board that I wouldn't recommend to everyone, it still turns on a dime, The rocker profile allows me to turn on a dime in the trees, still holds an edge well on hardpack and chunder. Floats so well, I can really lean forward and ride aggressively in any snow. I like a longer board for the longer effective edge because I like to haul ass and it gives a little more edge hold at high speeds.

I've also ridden a few of the Venture shapes. First thing I said was "They ride like Neversummers used to" before they redesigned their camber. But they are still rockered. I really like the ride on hardpack, but they are a little too grabby, too aggressive maybe. Didn't get a chance to take them in the pow, but I'm sure they ride great and are durable boards.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:48 am 

Duder..I would say go for a Venture.. you know why...Because Klem and Lisa build their boards.

HikeForTurns has an Odin, and he's about the best all around terrain rider I can imagine on this forum...from trees to steep ass gnarly balls in your stomach lines.

I own a Venture Zephy Split, and soon a Storm split, as well as a solid Venture Helix. These boards will last you a lifetime.

Vancouver Island is a killer island. I was drooling at some of those big ass interior peaks.

-Luther Standing Bear,

http://splitrippin.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:58 am 

Split rip I think you need to cut back on the morning cheech homie!

What about Trapper?

http://push.ca/blogs/nlangmann/archive/2012/12/07/straight-from-the-core-of-the-kootenays-trapper-snowboards.aspx

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:36 pm 

I've got last year's 164 Odin and last year's 164 Flagship. assuming the solution rides like the flagship, they are both great boards, just different. The flagship is more of an all-arounder and charges variable snow better. The Odin has more rocker and a softer nose, and the turns are a lot 'slarvey-er' which is super fun in pow. With all the rocker, skinning hardpack on the Odin isn't awesome. You should probably cover your bases and get both.

So many boards to choose from! The trapper ursa major looks great for this style of board, as does the chimera mace.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:19 pm 

I have a Venture Storm 165/25 on its way .
Thanks everyone for the advice :thumpsup: