Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: K2 UFO?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:14 am 

anybody use these boots? Whats your thoughts?

Thanks

Cant decide between DriverX, Malamutes , K2 or Ride Insano

I have owned both the DriverX and the malamutes. just thinking aboutsomething different

Post subject: Re: K2 UFO?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:35 pm 

Haven't used them but the BOA system make me nervous if you're out splitting. At least with laces you and tie them to themselves or carry a spare lace. Though I would like to see a BOA liner put into the malamutes. If the BOA breaks on the liner you're not really that screwed and it'd be nice for touring. On that not I find the malamute is a great splitboard boot because it has a walk mode (do up the lace locks on the ankle and leave the top open) :twocents:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:57 am 

The stainless wire in the Boa system will withstand aroud 50 times the pressure your laces and the plastic on your bindings will It is in fact much stronger than the actual boot material(sidewall, sole ect)
The Boa system has been out long enough to prove it is strong enough to stay the course

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:22 am 

TEX wrote:
The stainless wire in the Boa system will withstand aroud 50 times the pressure your laces and the plastic on your bindings will It is in fact much stronger than the actual boot material(sidewall, sole ect)
The Boa system has been out long enough to prove it is strong enough to stay the course

Dunno, I have a few friends who consistently break their BOA systems. Usually not the wire, but the tubes that the wire travels through wear out. I broke a pair a few years back. I have a low volume foot that requires the laces to be tight.

Personally, I think that the BOA is more at home in the liner than the shell. Give me a liner that has a BOA and traditional lacing on the outside (when did people stop learning how to tie their shoes?) and I'll be happy. Being able to repair and replace your laces easily and without taking them to a shop or sending them back to a manufacturer is a key advantage IMHO.

For this reason, I like the Malamutes. While they do have a lacing system, it is easily repairable and durable. I'm on the third year of use on a pair.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:50 pm 

I have malamutes now, third season, I have had driver X . Think its time for something new Deelux just look too bulky, fitwells.....no longer avalible (and I dont want to pay that much)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:05 pm 

If you want something new I say go big. Order some phantom bindings and get a hard boot.
I'm actually thinking about this. My main B.C. partners are skiers it ours respective sticks and bindings were cross compatible with our boots it means more options. Primarily if we get forced off our main line conditions and are taking a mellow route out then we can switch up and make that exit a lot more interesting.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:35 pm 

So Tex, did you make a decision?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:57 pm 

I've had 2 pairs of T1's (internal boa only) and have cranked the shit out of em with no problems. I'd be more than comfortable using them in the BC. At worse you just have to deal with a little slop til you get out. It's not some life or death thing. I prefer single boa though so you still have outer laces to snug up.

"If you want something new I say go big. Order some phantom bindings and get a hard boot."

Or much better yet, get some Fitwells and some Karakoram Superlights :)

Tex, what do you mean they're no longer available? I would think they'd be coming out with this year's model.
http://www.backcountry.it/product.php?id_product=159

They still got a lot of popular sizes (285, 290, 295) What size is your foot? They're on sale too!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:52 pm 

BGnight wrote:
I've had 2 pairs of T1's (internal boa only) and have cranked the shit out of em with no problems. I'd be more than comfortable using them in the BC. At worse you just have to deal with a little slop til you get out. It's not some life or death thing. I prefer single boa though so you still have outer laces to snug up...

on my 3rd pair of T1's, all with outer lace, inner boa. fit me so glovey i've never needed to cinch the boa so it wouldn't matter if it did break. LOVE the performance of the T1 but gotta say though that k2 customer service was craptastic for me, and the boot outer material is too frail.