Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ride Berzerker Split
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:31 pm 

Hey guys- this is a little write-up about my second DIY splitboard project. My first split was a 158 Malolo which makes for a great pow slasher. For my second split, I wanted to go with more of a versatile shaped board. I looked around a lot and decided that the new 159 RIDE Berzerker Wide was the perfect board for turns all year. The shape lends itself well to slashing pow, but would also be perfect for billy-goating early season, or riding late season volcano corn snow.

I decided on the wide model due to the fact that the regular came in a really narrow waist (24.8cm / 158 length). After chatting with a contact at RIDE, I decided to get the wide model (25.9cm / 159 length) and take out as much of the width as I needed with the saw blade and sanding. With an end goal of 25.5cm waist in mind, I got to cutting!

As you can see, the base graphic was just begging to be split!

A little bit hairy cutting through a brand new board for my first DIY cut, but all went perfectly

After a few hours of sanding and measuring, I had the 25.5cm waist that I wanted.

View from the top with Karakoram board clips. I was disappointed with the fit of the chinese clips once again. I don't know why, but even when using clamps and the sticker guide, they just don't fit the board together very tight.

Based on another user's advice, I went with a 3/4" forstner bit for the drilling instead of the standard wood bore bit I used last time. MUCH more smooth with the cut, and left a perfect circular edge. Since I planned on using PTEX discs, this was very important.

With T-nuts installed, I went ahead and epoxied in all the PTEX discs, and let them dry overnight. Next up was 120 and 220 grit sandpaper, followed by scotchbrite and a fresh coat of wax.

Big thanks to forum member Matt Wood for sending me a bunch of black PTEX discs and some killer stickers. The base graphic being black and white was problematic for the perfectionist side of me, being that Voile only sent me white discs. Thanks for hooking it up Matt!

And the finished product with all the Spark, Karakoram and Voile goodies installed. One reason I really like the Spark bindings, is that I can run them on both of my splitboards and swap back and forth in seconds.

This is the best result I've had yet with the PTEX discs. It pays to spend some extra time with the sanding block.

The graphic shows approx. how much I took out of the middle of the board.

All finished! Time to get out on a tour this weekend

Shot from what might be my last tour on the ol' Malolo setup :)

Post subject: Re: Ride Berzerker Split
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:53 pm 

Awesome job! Glad to see others thinking of cutting brand new decks. I'm actually considering splitting a Highlife.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:59 pm 

Burner wrote:
Awesome job! Glad to see others thinking of cutting brand new decks. I'm actually considering splitting a Highlife.

Thanks Burner! Always fun to pinpoint the best splitboard for your riding needs and then make it a reality!

I'm not 100%, but I know there's some discussion on splitting the UL RIDE models. Here's a link to a discussion around that topic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:11 pm 

upupdowndown wrote:
Burner wrote:

Thanks Burner! Always fun to pinpoint the best splitboard for your riding needs and then make it a reality!

I'm not 100%, but I know there's some discussion on splitting the UL RIDE models. Here's a link to a discussion around that topic

LOL that's actually me who started that thread. :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:22 am 

Thought you might like a few stickers, Colorado and Washington are kinda brother states now.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:11 pm 

:drool:

Riding the 158 from last year as my solid and loving it. This board is a dream split set up! Let us know how it goes.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:30 pm 

I'll show this to Jake. Ride just split a board for him and I know he's excited to get out on it and I'm sure he'll be pumped to see you on his board. Nicely done taking the extra time to get the waist width exactly where you wanted it.

:thumpsup:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:29 pm 

does this mean Ride is working on releasing a factory split?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:05 am 

I don't know any of the details on the board that Jake has coming or the production intent at Ride, I just know that Jake is joining the splitboard club.

I told him about this one and he was happy to hear about it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:42 am 

Jason4 wrote:
I don't know any of the details on the board that Jake has coming or the production intent at Ride, I just know that Jake is joining the splitboard club.

I told him about this one and he was happy to hear about it.

That's awesome! With the massive dump (39" overnight) we got over the weekend, I stuck to the chairlifts and got faceshots in bounds all weekend. The split will have to wait until later this weekend for it's maiden voyage.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:26 pm 

Awesome setup! Love it.

Do you tour around Stevens? I'll keep an eye out for that Berzerker. I'll be on my DIY Slackcountry.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:24 pm 

Yes Sir! I'll keep an eye out as well!

jgusa wrote:
Awesome setup! Love it.

Do you tour around Stevens? I'll keep an eye out for that Berzerker. I'll be on my DIY Slackcountry.