Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: G3 high traction skins -- review
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:41 pm 

Very nice. Good on ice and everything else. I don't like the tailclips as much as the sparks, but I guess spark is taking these and rebranding them with a cool plaid print and their own tail clips.

Highly recommended.

Post subject: Re: G3 high traction skins -- review
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:13 pm 

Good to hear. Think I'm going to get a pair of the Sparks version for the new board.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:48 pm 

I switched to G3's for this season from BD's last season and while I only have about 10km and 1500m elev. gained on them, I feel that they already preform much better (conditions were tracked out skin tracks and knee deep powder trail breaking ontop of neve snow). I notice marginally better performance in the skinning on flat/mellow terrain that they glide smoother but wouldn't say it feels much different than the tractors over a short distance. I do feel that the performance would be noticeable over longer tours - Something I'll post up on after a few more sessions. I thought the G3's wouldn't climb as well but they really surprised me. With proper form they seem to handle the steeper inclines just fine. I noticed in rolling terrain they glide much better when moving downhill...if you aren't confident in your split skiing, learn to pizza!

With the initial few tours, I'm impressed. I'll add more info as it becomes relevant.

Jones 168w
TLT5
Custom Plates by Vapor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:23 pm 

Just scored one of the last few sets of the Spark skins from Evo, can't wait to get them out and give them a shot.

Interestingly enough, all local shops I've talked to have said there are a significantly larger amount more splitboards on the market than split specific skins, so grab 'em while you can!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:12 pm 

jgusa wrote:
there are a significantly larger amount more splitboards on the market than split specific skins

Do you need a new set of skins for new each board? Unless they have radically different shapes and roughly the same length can we not share skins (within our own quiver of course. That's how diseases are spread!)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:27 pm 

I have been using the Voile tractor skins for several years. I just got my new Billy Goat split and I bought a pair of the G3 skins. I noticed that the "hair" on these is much shorter but the guy at The Mountain Shop said they actually work better in PNW conditions. Any thoughts from those who have used both?

Hans, my skins fit both of my splitboards just fine. I trimmed mine down just enough that they are interchangeable between my boards.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:15 am 

Snowolf, do you have the G3 Alpinist Skins or the G3 Alpinist High Traction Skins? (this thread is about the latter ones)
The former ones are said to have less grip than the Voilé/BD, but more glide.

http://www.genuineguidegear.com/gear/sk ... oard-skins
http://www.genuineguidegear.com/gear/sk ... bing-skins

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:48 am 

jgusa wrote:
Just scored one of the last few sets of the Spark skins from Evo, can't wait to get them out and give them a shot.

Interestingly enough, all local shops I've talked to have said there are a significantly larger amount more splitboards on the market than split specific skins, so grab 'em while you can!

This is true. I had to contact Sparks to ask who all sold their skins since I couldn't find any mediums any where. I was able to get some Spark mediums at Tactics.com a couple weeks ago.

Now we just need some snow so I can bust out the new board the skins are for!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:54 am 

Thanks Jefe. I'm a PNW rider as well, trying to figure out which skins to get for my first setup. Do you recommend these or the standard G3 Alpinist (not sure if you've tried the later or not). Do you sacrifice glide for traction with the HIGH traction version? How were they on wicking water?

Also, I've got a 159... smack in the middle between the S (up to 159) and M (159 and up). Is it recommended to get the longer or shorter ones?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:29 pm 

I have two sets of the Spark skins one for the 162 Billygoat and one for the Voile 171, and so far these have out performed my old Tractor skins in all conditions I have used them in (hard skin tracks, deep untracked pow, steep sidehill, steep verticle). Glide seemed good, although I did not tour on much flat terrain yet to really know. I love the Spark tail clips, makes it a snap to get skins on snug and straight and keeps skins in place way better.

Availability has been a little spotty so far, seems like the Spark version of the G3 HT skins has been selling out most places, I was lucky to get both of my sets from EVO for $135ea shipped.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:01 pm 

OSUmountaineer wrote:
Thanks Jefe. I'm a PNW rider as well, trying to figure out which skins to get for my first setup. Do you recommend these or the standard G3 Alpinist (not sure if you've tried the later or not). Do you sacrifice glide for traction with the HIGH traction version? How were they on wicking water?

Also, I've got a 159... smack in the middle between the S (up to 159) and M (159 and up). Is it recommended to get the longer or shorter ones?

From 3 tours so far this year, I'd say the high traction G3s / Sparks skins feel maybe 30-50% grippier than the BDs I had last year, depending on temperature and snow condition. Most noticible was grip on blue ice. Rock solid!

I didn't notice any detriment to my glide so far, but haven't toured too much yet on them so we'll see. For me, I'd much rather have the best grip possible, and sacrifice a bit on glide. Not sure where you're going to be touring in the PNW that's super flat for miles and miles... OK the access trail to Bailey comes to mind. :cry:

HOWEVER. If I'd seen the new geckos in time, I surely would have bought those. Much lighter and smaller. Might be picking up a set of those in the near future.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:15 pm 

Not that I don't believe that most folks out there have finely calibrated sensory memories of precise skin glide and grip from one year to the next across a variety of snow conditions and are completely unaffected by new-toy or other forms of bias :wink:, but the best way to 'compare' skins is to stick one on one ski, and the other on the other ski. Seriously, it works.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:14 pm 

I'm new to splitting and bought the Sparks (G3 high tractions)

I was under the impression the "glide" would be more of a "glide".

I've read a bit about people waxing skins.

Anybody try to wax the G3 High tractions to gain a little "glide"?

I picked up some Nikwax for skins but I won't lie that I'm a bit nervous.