Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Slipping Pucks
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:29 am 

I'm having issues with my Voile pucks slipping in the grooves & slowly loosening the interface between binders & pucks. Riding - you can feel the binding slipping forewards & back - not good. I've retightened the screws so there is no slop at all but after a few rides they are sloppy again.

I'm suspicious that snowkiting is the culprit. I've never heard anyone else having this issue. When kiting you're in ride mode for 3-5 hours continuous some times.

So I'm thinking of retightening but also gluing the pucks to my board this time. I don't want to use glue that is going to break in the cold but don't want glue that is so strong I'll never break the pucks free.

Any suggestions? Maybe even a light coat of skin glue?

Post subject: Re: Slipping Pucks
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:44 am 

It seems like I've encountered this problem for years now and just accepted it as a fact of life. I would be curious to hear if anyone has come up with a solution to this problem.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:19 am 

I've run into this issue a few time, always at the worst time (Solid sun cups at the end of the season). For the most part re-tightening the screws was the answer. Just out of curiosity, have the slots for the screws become worn from sliding back and forth? Also do you think you are bottoming out the screws before they are tight? In either case I might try to see if there are washers that will fit, and give you a little more bite, maybe some lock type with ridges in them. Not a whole lot of experience with this, but just my ideas on it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:22 am 

Have you used threadlocking fluid when tighting the screws?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:58 pm 

ive heard some talk an extra ski screw through the puck into the board fixing this issue, but you have to drill into your deck.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:22 pm 

I know your a plumber so I feel wrong even suggesting this but what about plumbers tape or the blue loc tight? I've used both for pucks and the old skool sparks.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:39 pm 

I vote washers and blue loc-tite.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:09 pm 

christoph benells wrote:
ive heard some talk an extra ski screw through the puck into the board fixing this issue, but you have to drill into your deck.

This is the only solution which has worked for me. It has the additional benefit of stiffening the puck to board interface and improving riding response. If you must use Voile pucks, this fix is highly recommended.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:33 pm 

Before sticking a screw into your deck and voiding the warrenty as well as diminishing the resale value you could try pucks made by firstlight and inthemountains as well as a few other members on this forum.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:36 pm 

I vote for Loctite thread lock too, if I have the time I also cut/grind my M6 screws down to the right length so they are getting as many threads as possible but definitely NOT bottoming out at the bottom of the inserts or you'll see indents popping out the base which is a bit nasty. Then apply locking fluid to the threads on both bolts and inserts (yes both) and align pucks and tighten. I use 242 (blue) for most of my bolts but ones that persistently come undone or ones I never want to come undone I use 262 (red) , its now called 263 I think, but be wary of 262 since its high strength can sometimes mean the screw is extremely hard to undo and might lead to the screw shearing (less likely with stainless screws though) or the insert turning (it shouldn't if it was epoxied in properly!!!)

cheers
Rich

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:53 pm 

My experience is that it does not matter how tight the screws are… the pucks still shifted.
Using custom drilled pucks from First Light is another solution that will work. But adding the single ski screw works with your existing pucks, there is no risk to the board with a properly installed ski screw, the pucks will not move, and the board rides better because the pucks are now stiffer with three points holding them to the board.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:14 am 

You using the rubber gaskets? probably 200+ days on my board and I don't think I've ever had to tighten a screw on the pucks. Maybe see if you can find screw with ridges on the head (don't know the correct term) that will bite into the pucks.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:18 am 

Quote:
My experience is that it does not matter how tight the screws are… the pucks still shifted.
Agree. When I loosen the screws to reset the pucks it takes plenty of torque with the 1st turns on the screw driver to loosen.

I've always used blue threadlocker when I've retightened. Never tried teflon(plumbers) tape though. But - I've never been suspicious that the screws were loosening - more just pucks slipping.

Quote:

This is the only solution which has worked for me.

This may be what it come too. But....

Quote:
I might try to see if there are washers that will fit, and give you a little more bite

The more I thought about it - thin star washers may be a simple - worthwhile try. A little more leverage for the screws before they bottom out plus the added benefit of friction against the plastic of the puck. Simple minds love simple things.