Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Canadian BC (backcountry and british columbia!) Huts
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:23 am 

Given that coastal BC seems to be getting nuked and showing no signs of stopping, I'm thinking of doing some week-long / overnight hut-style touring in Canada...

I've read about places like Battle Abbey, Sorcerer, Dezaiko, Durrand Glacier, Selkirk, Icefall, Assiniboine etc as places to go for touring (mostly on http://www.backcountrylodgesofbc.com), but there's nothing like talking to people who've actually been there.

This is where YOU come in! :thumpsup:

Does anyone have any experience of these places, or for that matter anywhere else that is suitable for multiple overnights and touring? Comments, recommendations, experiences (good and bad), photos etc welcome!!

My canadian geography knowledge is limited so please be specific, I've been to Whistler, squampton (did I spell that right?) and pemberton in BC.

I have done several overnight hut trips in NZ, where the huts (usually on a knife edge arrete next to a glacier) are "basic" to say the least i.e. no heating, no electricity, BYO everything etc.

Post subject: Re: Canadian BC (backcountry and british columbia!) Huts
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:04 am 

The only hut I've been to on the Coastal Range is Keith's Hut, at Mt. Joffre. It's a popular spot (super easy access) but a beautiful location and the riding is all-time. Be prepared to share; bring your best manners, some treats and a set of ear-plugs.

I'm too lazy to research, but when we went we had a guide book to the coastal range huts that was very good and extremely well researched, maybe Wasatchsurf can chime in?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:29 am 

John Baldwin has the books of the coast range. It was extremely helpful when we went to Pemberton, and I'm sure all the coast range. We also used this map:
http://www.guideschoice.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=1074

I've also stayed at 2 huts in Pemberton, 1 being Keiths. Access is ridiculously good.

I wish we were getting snow...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:23 am 

yeah Squampton!! like Compton but with more snow... :lol: ( i believe you are referring to squamish, but hey, maybe squampton is its nickname, IDK )

i have no info on huts for you , just had to get that in there...

oh wait - its more spendy than a hut, (and more inland by 5 hrs) but Sol Mountain touring is sweet.

http://www.solmountain.com/