Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Any Atomic Poacher Renu Feedback
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:23 am 

Just looking for feedback for the Atomic Poacher Renu

Board / Bindings / Skins all for like $500... but anyone actually give it a whirl ?

Please let me know whatcha think

Post subject: Re: Any Atomic Poacher Renu Feedback
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:31 am 

Experience from one of my best friends, very skilled rider:
- Lightweight (even the binding is light)
- Hikes well
- Great fun to ride in Powder (lots of taper, kind of swallowtail), even possible carve with on groomers
- Amazing board for the money
- However more cumbersome to convert than Voilé-based systems

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:19 pm 

Search jong. Lots discussion here if you look.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:02 pm 

thanks for your reply.. what is Jong ? any way you can fire me a link ? thanks for the help

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:34 pm 

search.php?keywords=Poacher&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:28 pm 

Ive been using the poacher renu for two years, im 180cm and 75kg i had the 164cm board.
The board rides really well on hardpack and ice, and if you have a bit of speed powder wont be a prob.
My board was 2010-2011 it said on Atomics page that this board had camber under foot and tip rocker, my board had full camber/hard camber. :nononno:
Now that wasent really what i expected when i ordered it, but the good thing is it makes the board really stable and secure on harder snow, the backside is that its hard to maneuver around in low speeds.
The interface was a hassle imo. You always need to carry your crampon whit you because this is the tool that you changeover from tour mode to ridemode.
And its alot more things you can loose when you changing from tour/ride.
I had the Atomic premium bindings "you can only use atomic bindings whit this interface" which was a real good binding nice comfy straps, suportive highback, They felt like my Cartels.
The skins is the best ive ever used! good grip and slides real well.

If this board came whit voile/karakoram interface and a actual tiprocker it would rock "IMO" :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:05 am 

6'0 150lb... ish
164cm Poacher, 2010 I think its got that lime green eco motif on the deck. All Camber, too much camber IMO. When you have to think about how you're going to plant your foot so the crampon sticks something has to be wrong. I didn't have much luck with it on Ice and Hardpack(took it out on the resorts before I took it backcountry). It rides on those 4 camber points and I often find myself cutting an edge in the snow that was difficult to turn out of. Powder and Spring slush were good though. The ski tips are great too and it trudges along on most conditions like a champ. IMO the board excels at spring backcountry adventures. Took it up to nearly 9,000 and in the sun it was a champ in the predawn icyness it failed me. The conversion isn't too bad, but your hands will get cold as using the crampons is a PITA and the gloves usually come off to do it. Really should look into making a key/tool for it.

Best ride I had on it was early September on Mt. Hood's Palmer snow field. Once I got past the sun cups to where they had groomed it 11 months out of the year... Glorious!

All in all: Its a great carve board to get you around the backcountry for some extended season access.

Dogan
The Russians on vacation were stunned by a snowboarder riding down from 9000ft to a few hundred yards of the Lodge.