PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:15 pm 

[quote="HikeforTurns"]

Plenty of good info here:

http://www.skipulk.com/

Cool, thanks for the link

Post subject: Re: Abs packs for hut trips
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:49 am 

websherpa wrote:
Show me someone who has never made a mistake in the backcountry and they can be the ones to leave the safety gear behind. Travel enough in the BC and you will make mistakes.
On the other hand, it may also make the same terrain you were going to get on already safer. Not safe, but safer.

+1

I think airbags are a lot more common here in Europe right now, most of the people I ride with have them and I don't see any effect on their decisions in the backcounty frankly. Most realize by now that it just gives you slightly better odds IF something bad happens because you made a mistake somewhere else. It's not that different from a beacon.

In area's were resque takes longer to arrive it makes even more sense to me to wear the airbag. You think your buddy can do CPR for a few hours, really..... ? Your chanches of survival if you get buried are not that great, let's be honest. I know people who work in mountain resque, they pull a lot more dead people out of the snow than you think.

Rant over, just be safe out there is what i'm saying...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:14 am 

Mystery Ranch has a pretty slick looking pack. I think it's called
the Blackjack.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:33 am 

Never said an airbag was a bad thingor that the OP shouldn't bring one. But a necessity for a hut trip to Janet's? No. Pointing out that there is a ton of fun terrain in the area that can be enjoyed safely. I have a W-EMT cert and understand the difficulty of backcountry rescue, that's why I would prefer to avoid putting myself into a situation that required an airbag.

I've made three trips to this area. Never brought an airbag. Still had a great time and rode some great terrain. YMMV

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:34 am 

If you're doing a hut trip that's equipped with stoves etc for 2 nights you should be fine with a small pack. I toured up to the Bow hut on the Wapta icefield for 2 nights and 3 days and managed with a ABS Vario 25L and some compression sacks as well as lashing a few items (Sleeping bag in a comp sac and a water bottle) on the outside. If you pack right, you can fit a lot of gear into a small bag. That being said, I also just bought the 50L zip on for longer non hut based trips.

We don't charge into unsafe terrain because we know we'll get located with a beacon if the terrain slides, just like no one in their right mind would risk sketchy terrain because of an "added safety" ABS. Safe terrain management is essential no matter what gear you bring. Avoidance should be practiced by everyone but as some said, the ABS is another tool like a beacon that betters your chances AFTER shit hits the fan regardless of who made the mistake or what caused the slide. If you have an ABS and you will be in avi terrain, bring it. It sure would suck to be encased in a snow coffin from an unsuspecting slide wondering if the airbag would have made the difference. Maybe it wouldn't have........ But maybe it would have.

Jones 168w
TLT5
Custom Plates by Vapor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:06 pm 

2x for the skipulk - Get a day-trip sized avy bag. Tow the big stuff to the hut. You will have the benefits of the avy bag and enough room for it all. Plus you won't get bogged down by too big of a bag when you don't need it. And you'll have an emergency sled to boot.

RE: homemade skipulk - As boy scout, I had several successful days snowshoeing over mellow terrain towing stuff bungied down to a $10 red sled tied to the hipstrap of my pack with 10' of twine.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:12 pm 

you could just strap your (empty) every day sized airbag on the back of a larger pack if you have a lot of traversing to do where a sled would be trouble.

It's funny how the discussions of how one should use their head instead of an airbag have developed, i agree it's the same with beacons, helmets you name it. I reckon it stems from reluctance based on cost and weight. The farther away from an ER I would be, the more I'd rather deal with just trauma instead of trauma plus burial or deeper burial-cardiac arrest-hypothermia. While there are infinite scenarios one can see where an airbag would not help, why not stack as much help on your side as possible. Oh, right a thousand bucks and 3 to 5 more pounds. Still no helmet or airbag in my gear, but that will probably change. For that matter don't take a WFR course either that will add a foam pad and a bunch of cumulatively heavy first aid crap too!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:24 pm 

Quote:
I also just bought the 50L zip on for longer non hut based trips.

Shift:

What 50 L zip on pack did you buy? Is it made by ABS or someone else?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:04 pm 

sauerboarder wrote:
Quote:
I also just bought the 50L zip on for longer non hut based trips.

Shift:

What 50 L zip on pack did you buy? Is it made by ABS or someone else?

Hey Kev,

It is made by ABS. I bought it off of Dave (Uriedog). I just took it on a day tour to Kananaskis to test it before some upcoming trips and its great. Too big for a day pack but not that bad. Its certainly worth it in my eyes.

Jones 168w
TLT5
Custom Plates by Vapor